Madden '09 and NFL Head Coach '09 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Video Games

Madden '09 and NFL Head Coach '09

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Wildcat formation

Postby m16a » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:10 am

bagobonez wrote:Anyone heard about the "Wildcat" formation that the Raiders will have in Madden 09? Basically it lets you use a RB at the QB position if you want to. Of course you have to have a RB that's fairly decent at throwing the ball (Tomlinson, McFadden) but you can read more about it here if you want...

http://www.sportsgamer.com/content/1618



Very interesting... I wonder what they'll make LT2's throwing stats?

This could be a potentially useful formation.. Use a good RB such as LT2, send the WRs on streaks and then use the superior rushing ability of the RB to gain a solid chunk of yardage while the defense covers the downfield WRs.. Its a trick I've used often and this could potentially make that an extraordinarily dangerous new play..
Image
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5361
(Past Year: 47)
Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere in PA

Re: Wildcat formation

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:26 pm

m16a wrote:Its a trick I've used often and this could potentially make that an extraordinarily dangerous new play..


:-b

I don't know why, but that made me laugh. Perhaps with this new power you'll be able to dominate your opponents like never before, forcing them into submission. If only...

I think it was the elipse.
Image
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 2022
Joined: 6 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Wildcat formation

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:11 pm

m16a wrote:
bagobonez wrote:Anyone heard about the "Wildcat" formation that the Raiders will have in Madden 09? Basically it lets you use a RB at the QB position if you want to. Of course you have to have a RB that's fairly decent at throwing the ball (Tomlinson, McFadden) but you can read more about it here if you want...

http://www.sportsgamer.com/content/1618



Very interesting... I wonder what they'll make LT2's throwing stats?

This could be a potentially useful formation.. Use a good RB such as LT2, send the WRs on streaks and then use the superior rushing ability of the RB to gain a solid chunk of yardage while the defense covers the downfield WRs.. Its a trick I've used often and this could potentially make that an extraordinarily dangerous new play..


People have been cheesing with that online for years by just subbing in Randy Moss or LT or a guy like that in at QB. That's why a few years ago in one of the games they set it up so you couldn't play people at positions for which they weren't intended (I think they changed it back the next year).

Putting the wildcat into Madden is going to open up online play to all kinds of abuse.
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

Re: Wildcat formation

Postby m16a » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:52 am

Free Bagel wrote:
Putting the wildcat into Madden is going to open up online play to all kinds of abuse.


Just play it how you play against Vick, when they run the wildcat, have an extra blitzer QB spy. I've found this works wonders for people who abuse players such as Vick or young
Image
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5361
(Past Year: 47)
Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere in PA

Re: Wildcat formation

Postby eagles21 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:23 am

m16a wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:
Putting the wildcat into Madden is going to open up online play to all kinds of abuse.


Just play it how you play against Vick, when they run the wildcat, have an extra blitzer QB spy. I've found this works wonders for people who abuse players such as Vick or young


That's what I would always do when someone would run a lot with the QB. I would just select a linebacker and put him in a QB spy. It still sucks though because then you lose a player who would be blitzing or covering someone. I might just have to get out of the game whenever someone chooses to be the Raiders or the Chargers. :-b
Image
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 4613
Joined: 7 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: State College, PA

Re: Madden '09 and NFL Head Coach '09

Postby bagobonez » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:54 pm

Well supposedly even the non-QB players that are good at throwing the ball like LT2 and Randle-El will have a cap on their throwing stats, so their max throwing power will be somewhere around 65-70. So yeah you could send your WR's on streaks but he's not going to be able to chuck it that far. Additionally their throwing accuracy won't be as good which could lead to easy INT's for the defense. The developers said they were well aware of the imbalances this formation could cause and they tried to weaken it to mitigate the cheese factor.

Anyone got their pre-order/reservation yet? I got my pre order from Best Buy so now I just gotta go pick it up and pay on the 12th.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
Image
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4463
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Atop my league's fantasy throne

Re: Madden '09 and NFL Head Coach '09

Postby m16a » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:32 am

ANyone know if its going to be out in the reduced version for regular xbox?
Image
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5361
(Past Year: 47)
Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere in PA

Re: Wildcat formation

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:59 pm

m16a wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:
Putting the wildcat into Madden is going to open up online play to all kinds of abuse.


Just play it how you play against Vick, when they run the wildcat, have an extra blitzer QB spy. I've found this works wonders for people who abuse players such as Vick or young


QB spy's do absolutely NOTHING against a good player with someone lined up at QB with a speed over 95. Even the fastest LBs have a speed in the 80's and the computer AI isn't smart enough to take the right angle to beat them to the sidelines and since they're upfield, you can't even switch to them midplay (it will switch you to a D-lineman who, while way out of the play, is still physically closer than the LB). By the time you can take control of the LB he's already too far out of it.

Also, you'll have to waste an audible on a qb spy now too. Since the wildcat lines the QB up at WR rather than taking him out, just seeing their personnel you won't know that they're in the wildcat when they pick their play.

I don't really play against the GP anymore anyway (just friends) so it doesn't really matter to me. But I used to play Madden pretty seriously a few years ago and in that circle and the circle of being matched with random people online, I could see it getting abused bigtime.
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

Re: Madden '09 and NFL Head Coach '09

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:01 pm

Btw, there's a demo of '09 up on the xbox live. It's a lame demo (you play the last 1:30 of this year's super bowl, so it's only offense, only with the giants, and it starts on 4th down so if you miss it the demo is over), but it can give some indication of how the gameplay feels this year.

My early impressions are that it seems like they fixed some stuff to make the passing game more "football like" like it was in '03-'04 before they screwed up the DB/LB AI to make them super jumpers and cutters after that. But, I only played through the demo twice which means I only ran like 9 plays, so it's tough to say for sure from just that.
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

Re: Madden '09 and NFL Head Coach '09

Postby bagobonez » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:32 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Btw, there's a demo of '09 up on the xbox live. It's a lame demo (you play the last 1:30 of this year's super bowl, so it's only offense, only with the giants, and it starts on 4th down so if you miss it the demo is over), but it can give some indication of how the gameplay feels this year.

My early impressions are that it seems like they fixed some stuff to make the passing game more "football like" like it was in '03-'04 before they screwed up the DB/LB AI to make them super jumpers and cutters after that. But, I only played through the demo twice which means I only ran like 9 plays, so it's tough to say for sure from just that.


Just played the demo. Couldn't tell a real noticeable difference as far as gameplay goes. But then again, it is hard to tell with a limited playbook, etc, plus I'm used to playing on PS2, not Xbox 360, so I don't have much of a basis for comparison. But in short, it didn't feel like a brand new Madden, it pretty much felt like the same old Madden.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
Image
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4463
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Atop my league's fantasy throne

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 12:21 hours
(and 43 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact