Madden '09 and NFL Head Coach '09 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Madden '09 and NFL Head Coach '09

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Madden '09 and NFL Head Coach '09

Postby Guru13 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:35 pm

I'm really struggling with this compared to the older games, it's really frustrating. I used to be able to move the ball pretty well even against the all-madden difficulty, but this personal skill difficulty is stupid hard, I guess it's cause I did pretty well in that madden test thing but geez, this is really difficult.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eagles21 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Very different then last year's game. Beat the Colts in OT in my first game. ;-D

And I just have to say, Desean Jackson = BEAST in this game. ;-D ;-D
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:37 am

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:I'm really struggling with this compared to the older games, it's really frustrating. I used to be able to move the ball pretty well even against the all-madden difficulty, but this personal skill difficulty is stupid hard, I guess it's cause I did pretty well in that madden test thing but geez, this is really difficult.

Same here. I ran 11 times for negative 3 yards with Marion Barber against the Browns' defense. I mean... c'mon. Next time I play I'm going to adjust the sliders down some so it's not so unrealistic. The "find your own difficulty" thing was a great idea, but it was clearly executed very poorly.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:23 pm

So far I'm not really liking Madden 09. Maybe I just need to give it more time, but it just doesn't feel right. Things are too slow or not user friendly enough or something. One of my biggest complaints is the inability to skip through certain things. When I play madden I like to go, go, go. I hate having to watch the ref go through his entire little animation anytime a penalty is called. Or when it's the 2 min warning or end of the quarter, having to wait for all the fancy little screens that pop up. Give me the ability to press a button and skip through that crap please. It's hard to even see where the ball's going to land if you throw a long pass, making it nearly impossible to control your receiver to go to the spot to make the catch. Cycling through players on defense is alot harder than it needs to be somehow. The movement of players themselves feels clunky and awkward. Maybe this is an attempt at realism since players can't change direction at the drop of a hat, but even when I'm trying to adjust my D-lineman a little before the snap, it's like it's hard to even do that without accidentally making him jump offsides.

Then again, maybe I'm complaining because I'm just not used to everything. I may change my mind after I get a season under my belt, but so far it's done nothing but frustrate me. If I play thru a full season and I still feel frustrated I'll probably just start playing NFL head coach 09 instead.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eagles21 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:28 pm

I know what you're saying bago. There have also been some weird problems happening to me:

First, I force a fumble, and my guy goes and picks it up. I figure I'm going to get some more yards, but the ref calls me down. I look at the replay, and my defensemen obviously doesn't have a iknee down or anything. Weird.

Also, I was playing a game, and a penalty was called. While the ref was saying the penalty, the play clock started and the game clock started going also (since it was a running play). :-?

Weird glitches that really shouldn't happen.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:26 am

Decided to put Madden on the shelf in favor of Head Coach 09. So far I'm enjoying Head Coach alot more. Head Coach is insanely deep, there are so many options it's unreal, which is kind of mind boggling at first but you get used to it. It's not perfect though. For example, u can choose to start the game pre-draft or post-draft. Initially I chose post-draft but noticed the rosters weren't correct. None of the true rookies were on their respective teams or on any team at all. Guys like Felix Jones, McFadden, etc just didn't exist. So I started over and chose pre-draft. Then the rookies showed up. So as the Cowboys, I went thru the draft, free agency, etc. So then when it came time for the season to start, I realized I had no kicker! Nick Folk simply doesn't exist in the game. Went to the free agent pool but they were all gone, so I had to trade a 2nd round pick (that's right) for Martin freaking Gramatica. So the game still has some issues but I definitely enjoy it otherwise. You don't have the roster editing options that you do in Madden, in other words you can't create players or edit existing players' attributes. I also noticed the player ratings were quite a bit different from Madden's, with very few players even breaking a 90 overall.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby terpfan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:20 pm

PLAYERS DONT PROGRESS IN FRANCHISE

I hate Madden so much. They havent fixed things that have been broken since 2006 for Chrissakes...

The gameplay isnt bad... although its much harder than usual. And you still get intercepted a frustrating amount (LBs still jump like Michael Jordan), and OLs often seem to forget to block. I just wish they would fix things that they had right 4-5 years ago... its really unacceptable.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Video Games