My Mock NFL Draft version 2.0 (some changes) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to 2010 NFL Draft

My Mock NFL Draft version 2.0 (some changes)

My Mock NFL Draft version 2.0 (some changes)

Postby robnestrick » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:28 am

I do not consider myself an expert, but simply want to see how closely I can predict team needs and their picks based on that. Of course, there is always the philosophy of taking the BPA and crazy owners like Big Al, but it's worth a shot.

1.1 MIA - Jake Long OT - I believe a contract will be completed prior to the draft and this is a good way to help upgrade the offense. As we all know, offenses are built in the trenches, and before they can really determine how good Beck is, they need to shore up the O-line.

1.2 STL - Chris Long DE - Although they would have liked Jake Long here, they need to take this difference maker on defense. Chris Long has a motor that doesn't stop from the first whistle to the last, and they need to replace an aging DE position.

1.3 ATL - Glenn Dorsey DE - He is the #1 player on many draft boards but has some questions marks coming in. ATL could go in m any different directions here with a total rebuild of their offense needed, but I believe that they will go with this need and have a good ten years of production from a great player.

1.4 OAK - Vernon Gholston LB/DE - If the coaching staff gets their choice, they won't go McFadden. I believe that they need this type of rusher who will put pressure on the defense. Owner Al can probably be sold because he is a physical freak, however, he disappeared in many games this year, and I question his desire and motivation.

1.5 KC - Ryan Clady OT - I believe the organization believes that they need to get Brodie another year and an offensive line that can help him to develop into a quarterback. The OT is a necessary position to protect the QB, and this is the beginning of KC to rebuild through the lines.

1.6 NYJ - Sedrick Ellis DT - I know this pick is unpopular but I don't see the need for the Jets to go RB with this pick. They have Thomas Jones and Leon Washington which should pay dividends with all of their offseason upgrades along the line. The Jets just saw the NYGs destroy the Pats front with a pass rush, and Ellis will provide a solid DT for many years to come.

TRADE ALERT

1.7 ARI - Darren McFadden RB - Arizona realizes that Mendenhall is probably going to go before they pick and they can get McFadden at a much cheaper price here from the Pats. They trade their later first round pick and a later pick this day or next year. This gives us the heir apparent to Edge, and gives ARI an amazing core of skilled positions on the offense for Leinhart to produce with.

1.8 BAL - Matt Ryan QB - Although I don't think this is the best pick for them, I feel that they will grab their franchise QB. The defense is getting older and their window is about to shut, and investing in a project will mean by the time Ryan is ready to win, the defense probably won't be able to. However, this is the direction they will head.

1.9 CIN - Derrick Harvey DE - The offense is a mess with Chris Henry's release, Chad demanding a trade, and a RB situation where no one knows who will start. However, there is enough talent to have a winning offense, so the coaching staff needs to address the defense. Harvey gives the Bengals a pass rusher who can put pressure on an opposing team. Pressure makes your DBs better, so this pick will help the defense tremendously.

1.10 NO - Keith Rivers LB - The Saints NEED some defensive help even with the signing of Vilma, but Rivers will provide more than just an insurance policy.

TRADE ALERT

1.11 PHI - Branden Albert OG/OT - Trade with BUF. Philadelphia wants to upgrade their offensive line and feel that the guys they want will be gone if they don't do the trade. Buffalo doesn't really want this pick, because they feel they can get their guy later on in the draft. Philadelphia grabs themselves a big guard who could move over to tackle.

1.12 DEN - Jeff Otah OT - With Clady gone, Shannahan goes to the next guy on his offensive lineman checklist. He wants to gets a RB into the elite status again, and his line has been making it difficult. Its time he upgrades his whole offense by improving the o-line.

1.13 CAR - Chris Williams OT - Although I don't believe that the Panthers are sold on D-Will as a their full-time starter, they will address the RB situation later in the draft. CAR needs to protect Delhomme so that they have a shot to make some noise (and save their coaching jobs) so they go with a position that will have an immediate impact and Albert has been climbing up boards so far!

1.14 CHI - Rashard Mendenhall RB - The run on offensive lineman kills CHI and they have to make a decision. They would hate to go QB or RB, but decide that Benson isn't the solution and go with Mendenhall.

1.15 DET - Quentin Graves DE - Detroit really wanted Mendenhall and now much address another need. They get a DE who can put pressure on the opposing QB, and the questions about his health are not enough to scare them away.

1.16 NE - Aqib Talib CB - Traded with ARI. The Pats get the CB they need in a heavy CB draft and get a later round pick to nab themselves a LB as well. The masters of trading down do it again.

1.17 MINN - Leodis McKelvin CB - The corner backs in this draft class are deep and this pick is an absolute steal for a team that needs CB help. They can pair McKelvin up to make a dominant secondary, which may have been the one weakness of MINN's defense last year.

1.18 HOU - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB - The corner backs in this draft class are deep and this pick is an absolute steal for a team that needs CB help. Although many think they need RB help, they will go forward with their stable of RBs (Green, Dayne, C.Brown, Walker, etc), regardless of his poor pro-day.

1.19 BUF - Devin Thomas WR - Traded with the Eagles. The Bills make a smart move and get their guy later in the draft. This will help out the offense and give Lee Evans a guy on the other side that defenses will need to respect.

1.20 TB - Mike Jenkins CB - This guy shouldn't have fallen this far, even though he had a poor pro-day showing. He can work right into the Tampa 2 defense, and be a productive player for years to come.

1.21 WAS - Limas Sweed WR - They are in need of a big WR in the offense to play opposite of Santana Moss. This selection will hopefully help the offense overall, as well as the development of Jason Campbell.

1.22 DAL - Justin King CB - DAL is almost ready to get a deal for Pacman, but I don't think they put all of their eggs in one basket, hoping for his reinstatement as well as his good behavior. They take the best CB left, and are happy with taking care of this need and will address their other need with their next pick.

1.23 PIT - Gosder Cherilus OT - Although he may take a little time to develop, PITT realizes that they need to address the offensive line with the departure of Faneca. Although the power running game may be a thing of the past with the Steelers, they realize they need an effective running game, and this is the right move. They will get a big WR and RB depth in the next few rounds.

1.24 TEN - Desean Jackson WR - With them silent during FA this year, Tennessee needs to have some offensive fire power and although they have a plethora of average WRs, they need a difference maker. Hardy provides the speed to compliment some of their larger WRs, and could be a great deep threat for Vince Young to help the offense to spread the field.

1.25 SEA - Calais Campbell DE - Seattle doesn't have a lot of needs (maybe TE, but there isn't one that warrants a first round pick), so they go with a high upside guy in Campbell. He didn't have quite the dominating year this past year, but he has the physical abilities to be an excellent rusher from the edge. Also given his 6'8" body, he can be an intimidating presence at the line for QBs.

1.26 JAX - Philip Merling DE - Although Jax also needs some DT help, Merling slipping this far in the draft is a no brainer and gives them an edge rusher that will help make this defense more of a Greg Williams type of defense.

1.27 SD - Jonathan Stewart RB - SD has some need at CB but Stewart is a BPA at this point in the draft. He will fill the role of a backup RB for LT, especially after a banged up year from LT. Although this will anger the fantasy football players out there, this is a solid pick for SD.

1.28 DAL - Felix Jones RB - Although the team has a need at WR, with the WRs off the board already, DAL decides to get a compliment to Marion Barber with Felix Jones. It might not be Darren McFadden, but its an Arkansas guy :)

1.29 SF - Kentwan Balmer DT - This gives the SF defense a strong lineman in the interior core. Although Martz would like to go offense with a WR, the defensive line needs to be improved so that they can be in the games and teams can't run all over them.

1.30 GB - Kenny Phillips S - The Packers get a solid safety to help out with both of their CBs (who arguable are extremely good, but getting older and might lose a step). Phillips is the best S available in the draft, and will find a solid role on this team.

1.31 NE - forfeited -

1.32 NYG - Dan Connnor LB - This helps to fill some of the holes that the Giants are facing. They could go with WR (with Plax talking money) but with Si.Moss and Steve Smith (NYG) they shouldn't be too worried).
Last edited by robnestrick on Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
robnestrick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: My Mock NFL Draft version 1.0

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:09 am

Good call on TB, that is exactly who I think they will be taking if he is there. If he is gone it will be Devin Thomas
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:36 am

You have OT Ryan Clady going to both KC and Denver.....
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby robnestrick » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:20 pm

petedog9 wrote:You have OT Ryan Clady going to both KC and Denver.....

Thanks, I took care of it, but it had a lot of domino effects... :)
robnestrick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: My Mock NFL Draft version 2.0 (some changes)

Postby snixx79 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Not bad. But i have a funny feeling KC will trade out of the #5 pick to a team that REALLY wants McFadden if possible. KC cannot draft anyone in this position that will both help their team needs, and be worth the $$$ for a #5 pick. Would not be surprised at all to see them drop down a few. I hope to god Atlanta does the right thing and does NOT Go with Ryan 3rd overall. Dorsey would be a good pick here....as would Gholston, but i dont think he'll be around truthfully. I can see Miami taking him if they cant pass on #1.
snixx79
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Trainer of Dolphins » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:55 pm

I think if HArvey is there when the Vikes are on the clock they wont pass him up. A pass rusher is needed esp. with Udeze out indefinitely with cancer. If Harvey is not there I am not sure they automatically go with DE (not sure about Merling) and CB could be a possibility
Trainer of Dolphins
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Timbathia » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:19 am

snixx79 wrote:Not bad. But i have a funny feeling KC will trade out of the #5 pick to a team that REALLY wants McFadden if possible. KC cannot draft anyone in this position that will both help their team needs, and be worth the $$$ for a #5 pick. Would not be surprised at all to see them drop down a few. I hope to god Atlanta does the right thing and does NOT Go with Ryan 3rd overall. Dorsey would be a good pick here....as would Gholston, but i dont think he'll be around truthfully. I can see Miami taking him if they cant pass on #1.

I also reckon there will be a few teams (Broncos included) that will be seriously looking at trying to trade into the 5 or 6 spot to take Sedrick Ellis.

I dont see a lot of trading in the first 4 picks or so as I doubt many teams will want to give up that much to get there, but from picks 5 - 10 there could be a number of teams not drafting in the top 10 that could be suddenly trying to trade up for different reasons including McFadden, Ellis, Ryan, Clady,........
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:48 pm

snixx79 wrote:Not bad. But i have a funny feeling KC will trade out of the #5 pick to a team that REALLY wants McFadden if possible. KC cannot draft anyone in this position that will both help their team needs, and be worth the $$$ for a #5 pick. Would not be surprised at all to see them drop down a few. I hope to god Atlanta does the right thing and does NOT Go with Ryan 3rd overall. Dorsey would be a good pick here....as would Gholston, but i dont think he'll be around truthfully. I can see Miami taking him if they cant pass on #1.

KC is trying to acquire some picks in exchange for Allen right now as well. That may play a big role into what they do
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to 2010 NFL Draft