McNair packing it in

Moderator: Football Moderators

McNair packing it in

Postby stomperrob » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:40 am

McNair to retire after 13 seasons
Ravens QB will announce decision at 1 p.m. news conference
From staff reports
11:59 AM EDT, April 17, 2008

Ravens quarterback Steve McNair will announce his retirement at a 1 p.m. news conference today, according to a news release from the team.

McNair told teammates of his decision during an emotional meeting this morning before the start of coach John Harbaugh's first minicamp.

The timing of the announcement is surprising because the 35-year-old McNair was hoping to keep his 13-year NFL career going after a turnover-marred, injury-filled 2007. He has been a regular at the team's Owings Mills training facility the past couple of months.

He led the Ravens to a 13-3 record in 2006, when he completed 295 of 468 passes for 3,050 yards and 16 touchdowns. But groin, back and shoulder injuries limited him to six games last season. McNair threw only two touchdown passes, losing seven fumbles and throwing four interceptions as the Ravens finished a disappointing 5-11.

With McNair's decision, the Ravens are left with quarterbacks Kyle Boller and Troy Smith on their roster. The NFL draft is next weekend and many mock drafts have quarterback Matt Ryan of Boston College falling to the Ravens' No. 8 pick in the first round.

Check back throughout the day for complete coverage.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: McNair packing it in

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:45 am

Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Kilroy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:59 am

His body was just done. H**luva player in his day though.

I don't really know how much this affects the Ratbirds' draft plans. It's not like they didn't know this was coming sooner or sooner, so if they take a QB at #8 I think it's because they planned to all along.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby gersh71 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:45 pm

Do you guys think this will affect McGahees production this yr?
When nobody has your back, you gotta MOVE your back.
gersh71
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Kilroy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:45 pm

gersh71 wrote:Do you guys think this will affect McGahees production this yr?

Not really. It's not like McNair lit it up last year when he was in there. The writing was already on this particular wall, so I'd already factored the shaky QB situation for the Ratbirds in when thinking about my expectations for McGahee in 2008.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:02 pm

As far as McGahee's value goes... I don't think this HELPED it. However, McGahee's effectiveness next year will hinge greatly on whether or not Ogden decides to retire. If he goes and McNair retires, he's in for a tough (as probably injury-hampered) season.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:33 pm

Kilroy wrote:
gersh71 wrote:Do you guys think this will affect McGahees production this yr?

Not really. It's not like McNair lit it up last year when he was in there.

Completely agree. He was the main reason the Steelers were able to take a 35-7 lead in the first half of the first Steelers-Ravens matchup. McNair had a great career, but the Ravens are probably better off with Boller under center.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby stomperrob » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:10 pm

As of 2 days ago, some were speculating Cornerback in the 1st round and QB in the 2nd - I don't think they had McNair pencilled in for much action this year anyway so they still could possibly go CB in the first, if in fact they were leaning that way, depending on who's there, or QB if not.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Art ... avens.aspx

...and I'm not convinced Boller is the man for the job - and much as it pains me to praise a Buckeye, lol, I do like the small sample I saw of Troy Smith even though he doesn't have the size of today's prototypical NFL QB - be nice to see what he could do with a few more reps!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby smackthefirst » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:46 pm

Glad to see him go as he wasn't what he once was, but he did have a heck of a career. I agree with kilroy and stomperrob that I don't think this changes the Ravens draft plans drastically. Prior to this news, I think Boller would've still been under center the majority of the year. TSmith showed promise in his limited action last year, and McNair would've most likely been relegated to the role of veteran to mentor the young guys.

The big question is do the Ravens feel confident the TSmith can ultimately become the starter. If they think he can, there's no way they go with a QB in the 1st. If they do pick a QB in the 1st, they have basically told everyone that they don't have the confidence in TSmith ever becoming the main guy.

Personally, I say you start with Boller this year and give him the chance. If he performs, TSmith simply sits and learns. If Boller stumbles greatly, you go with TSmith to see what you have. And of course you use the first pick on a CB assuming the draft doesn't go against what the consensus seems to be so far. I just can't see any logic in taking a QB in the 1st and going into the season with Boller/TSmith/MRyan (assuming he falls to 8).
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:13 pm

I just grabbed Ryan Clady for them in the cafe mock. Mckelvin was gone already plus I think with the ?'s surrounding their oline they need to solidify that position. My only regret in picking Clady is that this is a deep draft for Olineman so I might have been able to get one with more value. They definately need to address the CB position and can still get a guy with solid skills in the 2nd like Patrick Lee.

As for taking a QB I feel if Ryan slips they will be thinking real hard about what to address.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Return to Football Talk