Jared Allen is a Viking, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jared Allen is a Viking, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jared Allen is a Viking, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby D3C4K » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:55 pm

From Rotoworld.com:

Chiefs GM Carl Peterson issued a statement on franchise player Jared Allen Thursday, confirming that the team has had trade talks with "a few teams."

Peterson called the discussions "preliminary." Other than that, the statement doesn't say much. But Allen is clearly on the block. The 26-year-old pass rusher led the NFL in sacks (15.5) last season and broke up 10 passes.
Source: kcchiefs.com

Also, on NFL live it was reported that Minnesota is the front runner, as they have the right amount of picks to make it work (a 1st and a possible 3rd, though the Vikings are a bit hesitant about offering a 3rd along with the 1st rounder).
QB - C. Newton
WR - L. Fitzgerald
WR - S. Smith (Car)
RB - M. Turner
RB - C. Johnson
TE - A. Gates
W/R/T - B. Wells
K - S. Janikowski
DEF - NYJ

BN - M. Ryan
BN - J. Battle
BN - P. Thomas
BN - J. Ringer
BN - V. Cruz
BN - B. Pettigrew
BN - SF D
D3C4K
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jared Allen on trading block; possibly to Minnesota?

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:00 pm

If it would take a 3rd to get it done... I'd be okay with that only because we have two this year. If the Chiefs want just our 17th pick so they don't have to pay him the contract he's demanding, I'm all for it. I'd rather give a young stud tons of cash than an unproven pass rusher lots. ;-D
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bungle613 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:03 pm

Would love to see it happen and a 1st and a 3rd is not outrageous.

Concerned slightly with Allens history but really his numbers are huge and may be worth the risk. I can't recall the last truly legit pass rusher we had.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:02 pm

Well, the latest reports are that the Vikings have offered their 17th pick and 2nd round pick in 2009 while Tampa Bay is offering their 1st and 5th round picks for this year's draft.

I'm going to go with Carl Eller as our last premeir defensive end -- 1970s.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby smackthefirst » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:59 pm

This would be interesting for the Chiefs regardless of who they ultimately trade with. They would have a legitimate shot at Gholston falling to them at 5 who could step in and replace Allen. Then they could target either a CB or a WR if they get a pick somewhere between Minnesota and TB seeing as there looks to be a possible run on each position in that area of round 1.

I'd like the move for KC as long as they hold out for the best value possible. The only possible problem I see is if the first four picks are some combination of the Longs, Dorsey, and Gholston. Then KC might be stuck in an odd position with MRyan and McFadden on the board. At that point I guess they would either try to trade down or slightly reach for someone like Harvey or McKelvin.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby BlueBandit24 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:00 pm

I'd say Chris Doleman is the last dominating end for the Vikes and Randle was the last real pass rusher.

If the Vikes get this done for #17 overall and a 2nd next year I would be ecstatic. :-D
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:38 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:I'd say Chris Doleman is the last dominating end for the Vikes and Randle was the last real pass rusher.

If the Vikes get this done for #17 overall and a 2nd next year I would be ecstatic. :-D

ditto, ditto, and ditto :-)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:29 pm

The Bucs are also in the mix. We have offered our first and Chris Simms. The Chiefs asked for another pick and they are debating which round to give em
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Joe Mauer » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:36 am

I have no way to prove this as I just heard it on the radio (KFAN) but someone claiming to be Brad Childress a few minutes ago called into the Power Trip Morning Show here in Minnesota claiming to be Brad Childress. I caught this while the interview was in progress and only after the radio show got off the phone with the caller did I find out that some in the radio booth thought it was someone playing a prank on the main host. Honest to God, it sounded like Brad Childress to a T. They then said within minutes that someone from the Vikings organization high up called in and confirmed that Childress has been listening to the morning show and asked for the phone number to it after hearing a segment about Jared Allen. The "coach" said Allen was in town right now and even was in town last night and dined with Steve Hutchenson. Anyways, this bodes well for the Vikings if this call is legit.

Believe it or not, this did happen. Maybe they are still taking about it on KFAN and maybe not. But check out their website as they said that shortly the interview would be available via pod cast via their site.

http://www.kfan.com
Joe Mauer
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:39 am

from today's paper:

Allen in town today
April 18th, 2008 – 10:23 AM by Judd Zulgad

Pro Bowl defensive end Jared Allen is in the Twin Cities today meeting with Vikings officials and it sounds as if the team will try to keep him here until an agreement is reached both with Allen on a contract and with the Chiefs on compensation. That doesn’t mean it’s a slam dunk Allen ends up in Purple but it seems as if the folks at Winter Park certainly have their hopes up. (It’s a safe bet the people across the street who are in charge of marketing the Vikings also have high hopes.)

Allen has been given the franchise tag by the Chiefs but clearly wants out of Kansas City. While the Vikings would acquire Allen in a trade, they are allowed to talk to him about a contract because he’s not an “exclusive franchise player.” The Vikings are hoping that by getting to Allen first they can convince him that Minnesota is the best place for him.

It’s no different than what happened with free-agent defensive end Justin Smith in San Francisco. Smith was set to visit the Vikings after meeting with the 49ers, but the Niners were able to keep him in town and Smith never set foot in Minnesota.

The difference in this case is Allen is going to cost big money and the Chiefs also are going to get something in return. Ideally, the Vikings probably would like to send Kansas City their first (17th overall) pick and one of their two third-round selections. The Chiefs, though, could very well try to get a first- and second-round pick
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Next

Return to Football Talk