LA Billionaire plans to build LA stadium to attract a team - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

LA Billionaire plans to build LA stadium to attract a team

Moderator: Football Moderators

LA Billionaire plans to build LA stadium to attract a team

Postby treat24 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:38 am

there are several links but here are a couple:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... E&refer=us
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nfl ... 7185.story

What annoys me is that the stadium is "rumored" and the picture kind of shows it too... that purple will be one of the color schemes... you took our lakers... don't take our vikings! stupid LA...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: LA Billionaire plans to build LA stadium to attract a team

Postby dream_017 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:49 am

If you build it they will come :-b

Maybe a team, but will there be fans, I don't think so :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:06 am

Aprently they already talked to the Chargers about a possible sale/move:

STADIUM SITE SEARCH
Chargers: Not bolting from area
Focus is Chula Vista, not proposed L.A.-area stadium
By Ronald W. Powell
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

April 18, 2008

A Los Angeles developer who announced plans to build a football stadium yesterday is a friend of the Spanos family, owner of the Chargers, but the team has no plans to move there, according to a team spokesman.

Edward Roski Jr. has discussed his plan to build an $800 million stadium in a suburb east of Los Angeles with San Diego Chargers President Dean Spanos and also inquired about the team's availability, said Mark Fabiani, the team's general counsel and spokesman on stadium issues.

According to Roski's plan unveiled yesterday, the stadium could be completed by 2011 – although he still is seeking a team to play in it.

Chargers executives say they are focused on a plan to leave San Diego's outdated Qualcomm Stadium and build a new one in Chula Vista.

“We've told (Roski) that we're focusing on working with Chula Vista on a stadium deal, and we'll keep trying to make it work there,” Fabiani said yesterday. “We prefer to remain in the San Diego region and are doing what we can to do that.”

cont'd...

Rest of article: http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/ch ... rgers.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:36 am

Oh you know Alice will move the Raiders back. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:01 pm

Wouldn't it be cool to have enough money to build a stadium without a team to make money for it. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigBadBrawler » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:41 pm

dream_017 wrote:If you build it they will come :-b

Maybe a team, but will there be fans, I don't think so :-?

There'll be enough fans. The second largest media market in the country, and the site they're building it on (City of Industry) is actually accessible from Los Angeles County, Orange County, and the San Bernadino County. That's givng access to a whole lotta people who haven't had football in a long while (trust me, the gangsters out here are tired of rooting for da Raidahs). Just give us a team like Minny (sorry, Treat); Buffalo; SD; etc. and we'll fill up the stadium...

Heard this news and was ecstatic. I'm still not getting my hopes up until they actually sign a team, but with all the smaller markets out there, and all the team's wanting new staduims where the public doesn't want to help fund them: We've got a home for you guys... ;-D
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby treat24 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:49 pm

BigBadBrawler wrote:Just give us a team like Minny (sorry, Treat)

:-[ :-[

we still have 2-3 years left on our contract I think... but I'm still not happy about the possibilty of this. I was too young... heck, I don't think I was born when you stole the lakers... but the Vikes are my team. I have lived my whole life bleeding purple. Them moving would destroy me.

I agree with your post though. Even though teams haven't worked in the past, I think this location and whatnot has a shot. I wish LA the best. Believe it or not I have enjoyed my trips to LA. If it's as accessible as Brawler says... maybe they will have a shot. I just hope it's not teams like the Chargers or the Vikings who I enjoy. From what I hear, the Chargers have turned it down, The vikes have a couple years before they can even talk about it, andf the Bills are reaching into Canada to sell tickets and play games. The NFL has to be a fan of this and It will help the Bills stay. We'll see what turns up. At worst USC will have a nice stadium? :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BlueBandit24 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:33 pm

treat24 wrote:we still have 2-3 years left on our contract I think... but I'm still not happy about the possibilty of this. I was too young... heck, I don't think I was born when you stole the lakers... but the Vikes are my team. I have lived my whole life bleeding purple. Them moving would destroy me.

The Lakers moved in 1960. I don't think you were born yet. B-) ;-)

I agree with your sentiments. I would be absolutely crushed if the Vikings left. The good news is that they have been talking about this for years and nothing has come to fruition. Minnesota is a good market for football and the Vikings belong here. The thing that bothers me is that if the team did move, the state would be clamoring for another NFL team because they would realize how much they missed it. The Twins and Gopher football have gotten new stadiums in the past few years so hopefully the Vikes are next on the ticket, although the recent 35-W bridge collapse has soaked up a lot of government money, and rightfully so. I pray something gets worked out because I would dearly miss the purple on Sunday's. :*)
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:38 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:
treat24 wrote:we still have 2-3 years left on our contract I think... but I'm still not happy about the possibilty of this. I was too young... heck, I don't think I was born when you stole the lakers... but the Vikes are my team. I have lived my whole life bleeding purple. Them moving would destroy me.

The Lakers moved in 1960. I don't think you were born yet. B-) ;-)

I agree with your sentiments. I would be absolutely crushed if the Vikings left. The good news is that they have been talking about this for years and nothing has come to fruition. Minnesota is a good market for football and the Vikings belong here. The thing that bothers me is that if the team did move, the state would be clamoring for another NFL team because they would realize how much they missed it. The Twins and Gopher football have gotten new stadiums in the past few years so hopefully the Vikes are next on the ticket, although the recent 35-W bridge collapse has soaked up a lot of government money, and rightfully so. I pray something gets worked out because I would dearly miss the purple on Sunday's. :*)

pfft only by 18-19 years...

yep... agree with this post... love fest going on it seems... I really don't see the vikes moving. Like you said, this has been discussed for so long that it's more like a standing joke or idle threat than a real possibility. I have to think the Vikes stadium bill will be next on the docket after the bridge is funded and whatnot. I just hope it's not in Blaine. :-°
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby biju » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:27 pm

I'm probably going to get on people's S-list for this, but I hope this pulls an East Coast team out to L.A. It would be nice to have more teams out here and draw attention away from the media hogs out there. Besides, one more NFC team (assuming they keep them in the NFC; I suspect they would trade places with STL) closer to Seattle would be good for the team's travel woes...

Don't ban me treat. :-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk