Thoughts on Bulger going into 2008 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thoughts on Bulger going into 2008

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thoughts on Bulger going into 2008

Postby SLAMLLC » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:38 pm

What are the prospects for Marc Bulger to be a top say, 5-8 QB this year. I have serious doubts about him breaking the top 4 but how about the next four. Last year the team was destroyed by injuries and Things look to be on the up and up this year. Is there any hope for him to be a solid QB this year or not?
SLAMLLC Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Thoughts on Bulger going into 2008

Postby sublimeandy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:38 pm

he was pretty good in '06. i wouls think that he shold return something closer to that form. i think he's a good sleeper for those willing to take a small gamble and wait to draft a qb until a little later. i would have him after brady, manning, palmer, brees, mcnabb and romo
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ROYALWITCHEESE » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:22 am

He's definitely top 10, but I don't know he's any better than that. Remember, he has only been healthy for ONE season in his career--having missed time every year but one. That's not what I look for from my QB1.

"Even if I had no legs, I would STILL get open" -Chad Ochocinco
ROYALWITCHEESE
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:36 pm

ROYALWITCHEESE wrote:He's definitely top 10, but I don't know he's any better than that. Remember, he has only been healthy for ONE season in his career--having missed time every year but one. That's not what I look for from my QB1.

That is a really good point. In my opinion he is definately top 10 but a risky pick. There are a few other QB's available around the same time with better value and less of a chance of injury.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby logan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:10 pm

if he can stay healthy he will be up in the top 10 easily. course staying healthy is the big question with him. he will need better oline play this year for that to happen. that oline got him killed last year and it's hard to stay healthy when you get pounded every play.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:25 pm

I jumped off the Bulger Bus last season. I finally got tired of waiting for that breakthrough year. The Bulger we have now is NOT the Bulger we were hoping for in seasons past. He has a banged-up, underachieving O-Line that at times kind of forgets to block for their QB. He has an aging WR corps consisting of Torry Holt and... nobody. He has a RB who has all the talent in the world, but he's coming off of a disappointing season where he missed time due to injury. He no longer runs that crazy pass-happy offense Martz loved so much, and he has those ongoing injury problems that have only allowed him to play one full season since 2003.

Marc Bulger is the ultimate tease at QB. All the potential, the sexy offense, but he never quit puts it all on the table like you think he should.

I'd far rather have Derek Anderson right now. Less injuries, less questions, more talent around him, and you can probably get him at about the same time in your draft.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TheDiplomats » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:53 pm

To be fair, the Rams offensive line last year was so decimated by injuries that the Rams had to rely on going in McDonalds and looking for the biggest, fattest guy they could find a couple hours before game time to block for Bulger. Not a single starting offensive linemen who started the season finished it for the Rams.

Some reasons Bulger could bounce back:
-Al Saunders is back in St. Louis. He was pivotal to that offense back when the Rams were the greatest show on turf.
-Bulger himself admitted that he had regressed mechanically. You can attribute that almost 95% on the offensive line and injuries. Bulger recognized his mistakes and will improve them in 2008.
-High Draft pick. Rams could go OLine in the 1st and then target DeSean Jackson in the 2nd (Rams covet small, speedy players like Jackson)

Reasons to not grab Bulger:
-As many of you already stated, he is injury prone. Only 1 healthy season.
-Declining WR corps..Lost Isaac Bruce who still had plenty left in the tank, Holt is only going to get worse over time, and Bennett really had a down year.
-Linehan - I think he's a pretty bad HC..although the jury is still out.

I am optimistic about Bulgers chances at a bounce back year. Finishing as a top 5 QB is certainly not out of the question..but neither is finishing in the top 20.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:08 pm

I've been seeing Anderson getting drafted in rounds 4-6, Big Ben around there too. If you need a QB in round 9+ and Bulger is there, taking him along with a reliable back up imo is a good risk. I wouldn't to draft Bulger before round 8 or 9 though, I'd rather wait and get someone like Garrard, Shaub, Cutler or Delhomme.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:38 am

knapplc wrote:I jumped off the Bulger Bus last season. I finally got tired of waiting for that breakthrough year. The Bulger we have now is NOT the Bulger we were hoping for in seasons past. He has a banged-up, underachieving O-Line that at times kind of forgets to block for their QB. He has an aging WR corps consisting of Torry Holt and... nobody. He has a RB who has all the talent in the world, but he's coming off of a disappointing season where he missed time due to injury. He no longer runs that crazy pass-happy offense Martz loved so much, and he has those ongoing injury problems that have only allowed him to play one full season since 2003.

Marc Bulger is the ultimate tease at QB. All the potential, the sexy offense, but he never quit puts it all on the table like you think he should.

I thought the same things. The 2007 predictions forum is gone but I started a thread in there saying he was gonna have something like a 4,500 yard 40 TD season in 2007. He hardly managed half of that yardage wise and only had 11 TD's. Expect more of the same in 2008. Especially with Trent Green there too.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby gersh71 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:16 pm

Hes always the sexy pick, but rarely plays to his potential. Sure hell string together 3 or 4 good games, then he will be mediocre at best. His better days are behind him. I certainly wouldnt reach for him, but if hes there in later rds. then he possesses decent value.
When nobody has your back, you gotta MOVE your back.
gersh71
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk