Ryan Grant Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Ryan Grant Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ryan Grant Discussion

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:05 am

I watched Grant in about 3 or 4 games last year, and he looked great in those games. But, for some reason, I still don't feel like I can trust him over the full season as my RB2 (or your RB1 if you really love him). The little demon called "sample size" is sitting on my shoulder so I am worried/curious about how he will turn out next year...does anyone know more about him or his college career? Is he worth RB2 status or will Brandon Jackson or someone else be a problem for Grant.

Though now that I think about it, the Packers may run more because it will be Aaron Rodgers' first full season, so that's a +1 to Grant.
Image

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5309
Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Beantown, Taxachusetts

Re: Ryan Grant Discussion

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:02 am

Last year he was GB's 3rd option and doesn't have much of a past in the NFL. Morency and Jackson just couldn't stay healthy and the running game was non existent for the first half of the year. Then came Grant and all of a sudden the Packers were able to run the ball effectively creating a more balanced attack.

I think he will go in the 2nd rd of most drafts this year but I am concerned as to whether he carries as much of a load as he did the end of last year. Make or break pick in my opinion. The thing that concerns me is he has 2 guys that started last year behind him and GB didn't really show any loyalty at the beginning of last year. He better not come in to camp out of shape if he really wants to solidify that spot. But I feel he is the guy to beat right now.

This is one of those guys that until you get more information about GB's plans for him he has some ?? surrounding him. I'm almost positive he will be the starter but he has to maintain the same pace as last year or he might get caught by BJax or Moron-C and lose carries.
Image
Image
Cowboys 4 life
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9515
(Past Year: 79)
Joined: 18 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Re: Ryan Grant Discussion

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:28 pm

For what it's worth, I try to have a knowledgable friend on most of the NFL teams and my Packers source is a huge Ryan Grant fan. As far as he can tell me, Grant will get every chance to succeed in Green Bay. He did say to hamper your expectations with Aaron Rodgers taking over, but as far as I can tell, Grant will be the big favorite to be Green Bay's guy next season and beyond. I think you have to worry about Green Bay's offense in general hurting Grant rather than whether or not he's going to see his touches.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1527
Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ryan Grant Discussion

Postby BlueBandit24 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:50 pm

Grant's college career was somewhat underwhelming. He had a pretty solid sophomore campaign but then got overtaken by Julius Jones his junior year and Darius Walker his senior year. I was never really impressed with him at Notre Dame and I didn't really see anything that told me he would succeed at the NFL level. That proved to be true for awhile, but obviously last year was a different story. He was fantastic down the stretch, but at this point I see him as a flavor of the month type. It just seemed like everything came together for him at the right time and I am not sold that he can replicate that success again this year. Brandon Jackson was raw coming in as a rookie and I think he is going to improve and take some touches away from Grant, and in general the Packer offense will likely take a step back as Rodgers gets acclimated to his role. I'd take Grant as a #2 RB if I had a top #1 already in place, but I would not want to enter the season relying too much on him.
Image
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5373
Joined: 2 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ryan Grant Discussion

Postby Kilroy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:51 am

Grant certainly had a solid half-season (5+ YPC and 8 TDs), but it was just that, half a season, and added to the worries about the post-Favre GB offense there is definitely some cause for concern. I doubt Ryan will be on too many of my teams in 2008, not because I don't think he can have a solid '08, but moreso that I'm not really comfortable taking him as early as I think he'll end up being drafted.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Re: Ryan Grant Discussion

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:43 pm

Yeah, I'll agree with that. I'd put him in the same category as Derek Anderson.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1527
Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ryan Grant Discussion

Postby logan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:58 pm

Kilroy wrote:Grant certainly had a solid half-season (5+ YPC and 8 TDs), but it was just that, half a season, and added to the worries about the post-Favre GB offense there is definitely some cause for concern. I doubt Ryan will be on too many of my teams in 2008, not because I don't think he can have a solid '08, but moreso that I'm not really comfortable taking him as early as I think he'll end up being drafted.


i'm pretty much inline with the same thinking. essentially a rookie qb taking over could lead to a rough early going and he will essentially be a much higher risk considering where he will most likely be going in drafts.
Image
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7273
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 4 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ryan Grant Discussion

Postby ROYALWITCHEESE » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:58 pm

logan wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Grant certainly had a solid half-season (5+ YPC and 8 TDs), but it was just that, half a season, and added to the worries about the post-Favre GB offense there is definitely some cause for concern. I doubt Ryan will be on too many of my teams in 2008, not because I don't think he can have a solid '08, but moreso that I'm not really comfortable taking him as early as I think he'll end up being drafted.


i'm pretty much inline with the same thinking. essentially a rookie qb taking over could lead to a rough early going and he will essentially be a much higher risk considering where he will most likely be going in drafts.


Disagree. Young QB = more carries. Add the fact that the team is still good, with a solid defense, and he will be protecting quite a few leads this year at the ends of games.
Image

"Even if I had no legs, I would STILL get open" -Chad Ochocinco
ROYALWITCHEESE
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 849
Joined: 7 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ryan Grant Discussion

Postby dream_017 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:40 pm

Kilroy wrote:Grant certainly had a solid half-season (5+ YPC and 8 TDs), but it was just that, half a season, and added to the worries about the post-Favre GB offense there is definitely some cause for concern. I doubt Ryan will be on too many of my teams in 2008, not because I don't think he can have a solid '08, but moreso that I'm not really comfortable taking him as early as I think he'll end up being drafted.

Couldn't have written it better. I think he will be fine, but then again it was a small amount of games. People will take him well ahead of where I would take him, so I don't see him being on too many if any of my teams.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15305
(Past Year: 59)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Ryan Grant Discussion

Postby logan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:45 pm

ROYALWITCHEESE wrote:
logan wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Grant certainly had a solid half-season (5+ YPC and 8 TDs), but it was just that, half a season, and added to the worries about the post-Favre GB offense there is definitely some cause for concern. I doubt Ryan will be on too many of my teams in 2008, not because I don't think he can have a solid '08, but moreso that I'm not really comfortable taking him as early as I think he'll end up being drafted.


i'm pretty much inline with the same thinking. essentially a rookie qb taking over could lead to a rough early going and he will essentially be a much higher risk considering where he will most likely be going in drafts.


Disagree. Young QB = more carries. Add the fact that the team is still good, with a solid defense, and he will be protecting quite a few leads this year at the ends of games.


that's possible and more carries is always plus but the question is can he handle a full season of more carries with teams cheating on the run game? i'm not saying he can't be good in the situation but it's certainly alot less certain with rodgers than it would have been with favre.thats' not the situation i'm looking for in a potential second rounder unless it's late in the round a there isn't upside with a better situation left on the board.people took a shot with cadi in 06 with a young qb after a solid season.that turned out not so good.
Image
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7273
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 4 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 12:43 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact