Ryan Grant Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ryan Grant Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ryan Grant Discussion

Postby knapplc » Thu May 22, 2008 11:38 am

Typical scenario. He wants to get paid for last year's work. It'll get worked out soon. I doubt this is a big deal in the overall Ryan Grant discussion.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Thu May 22, 2008 7:47 pm

Grant negotiating contract: Running back Ryan Grant did not participate in practice because he has not signed his exclusive rights tender in hopes of getting a long-term contract. But Grant said he feels progress has been made and he expects a deal to be done by training camp.

"I'd say that things are going good," Grant said. "We're on track. There's good communication. I'm here, so that means that there's very good communication."

Grant, who rushed for 956 yards as the primary rusher in 10 games last season, has been working out and attending meetings.

"He is getting himself ready to play," said McCarthy. "Would I like him out there with everybody else? Absolutely, but he's not under contract right now, so it's clearly a business decision."
With just one year service time, Grant has no leverage. He won't become an unrestricted free agent until after the 2010 season - and that might even be pushed back under a new collective bargaining agreement.

"I just felt like it was in my best situation to handle it this way and I think both sides feel that I'm going about it in the correct way," Grant said. "There's no unhappiness. There's no hard feelings or anything like that. It's just the business aspect."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=753720

It all appears to be pretty amicable so far.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kensat30 » Fri May 23, 2008 12:59 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
Green Bay could easily end up being a similar offense to KC this year if things don't turn out right.

Croyle = Rodgers
Jennings = Bowe
Grant = Johnson

I also believe Larry Johnson is overvalued as a first round pick this year.

Well Jennings has shown he is better than Bowe

With Favre.

and Driver is a nice safety valve wide receiver.

Driver is a possession WR ala Rod Smith a couple years back. He is not bailing anyone out. He's a WR#2, just like Tony Gonzalez is a WR #2.

The question comes down to how good Rodgers turns out. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that teams will scheme to stop the run against GB until Rodgers can prove that he has what it takes in him. If he fails we could easily see a bottom of the league offense in GB next year. Because ultimately, if your QB sucks, your offense sucks.

I just can't believe in Rodgers until I see what he is made out of. I don't care who he has around him if he can't deliver. And this guy has played about a half game worth of meaningful snaps in the NFL at this point. And I didn't come away overly impressed with his game in Dallas. The guy took what was there and completed a lot of short passes (which Jennings turned into big plays a couple of time), but he was also way too quick to run with the ball. Almost reminiscent of Joey Harrington (minus the throwing the ball out of bounds). If I remember correctly, Dallas was daring GB to pass as they basically shut down the running game when Rodgers was in there as well. I think that will be the blueprint for 2008.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Azrael » Sun May 25, 2008 11:44 pm

Kensat30 wrote:The question comes down to how good Rodgers turns out. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that teams will scheme to stop the run against GB until Rodgers can prove that he has what it takes in him. If he fails we could easily see a bottom of the league offense in GB next year. Because ultimately, if your QB sucks, your offense sucks.

Not necessarily true. There are many documented instances of teams that suck throwing the ball that could still run it very well. It's the offensive line that matters mainly and Green Bay's young group came together well last year.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:01 am

Grant: No deal yet, but 'I'm real optimistic'
By Tom Pelissero • tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com
June 18, 2008

Ryan Grant is prepared to return to his New Jersey home the same way he left — without a signed contract.

But the Green Bay Packers’ starting running back continues to express optimism that he’ll have a multiyear deal in place before training camp begins July 28.

“No doubt. Not at all,” Grant said today. “I’m real optimistic, I feel good and … I’m going to take care of what I’ve got control of.”

Grant has refused to sign the minimum one-year, $370,000 tender the team offered him as an exclusive-rights free agent, opting to participate in the offseason program but not practice. His agent, Alan Herman, has had a series of conversations with the Packers, but as of today, Grant remained unsigned.

Second-year pro Brandon Jackson has gotten most of the work with the starting offense in the absence of Grant, who had a breakout season in 2007 without
participating in the Packers’ offseason practices. He was acquired Sept. 1 in a trade with the New York Giants, took over as the No. 1 back Oct. 29 and ran for 1,186 yards, including playoffs.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/app ... 18144/1058
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:52 pm

Still hangin' in there...

Grant expects deal soon: Packers running back Ryan Grant told “The Monty Show” on Sporting News Radio on Tuesday that he expects a contract before training camp. He missed all of the off-season practices while waiting for a new deal.

“We’re moving forward,” Grant said. “Really, everything’s been positive throughout the whole process. And I’m excited and optimistic about it. And I expect to be absolutely done within the next few weeks.”

Posted: July 1, 2008

source: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=768222
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:08 pm

Update:

Grant's agent remains hopeful
By Pete Dougherty • pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com • July 16, 2008

The Green Bay Packers haven't negotiated with the agent for halfback Ryan Grant recently, but Alan Herman is hopeful the start of training camp in less than two weeks will push the sides to finish a new deal.

Herman said the sides have had substantive talks this offseason but haven't talked for about three weeks, and he's awaiting a counteroffer from team negotiator Russ Ball.

Grant is an unusual case because though he's played only one year in the NFL, he's entering his fourth season out of college football at age 25. He almost single-handedly upgraded the team's running game when he emerged from the bottom of the depth chart the second half of last season, and is looking for some financial security even though he's three years away from free agency.

Herman has said Grant will not sign the minimum tender of $370,000 for a second-year player and won't report to training camp until he has a long-term contract.

"We've had a fruitful discussion, but it's been kind of quiet for a while," Herman said. "I know people take vacation, and the Brett Favre situation I'm presuming has occupied a lot of their time. So, I'm going to be patient. I think we have an understanding of formulas as to where we want to go, and my assumption would be once they're 100 percent ready to go and some of this other stuff has died down, I'm sure we can get something done. I'm still optimistic we can get this done in time to get Ryan to training camp."

con't...

rest of article: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/app ... 60641/1058
stomperrob

Postby skibrett15 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:07 pm

With Favre.

and Driver is a nice safety valve wide receiver.

Driver is a possession WR ala Rod Smith a couple years back. He is not bailing anyone out. He's a WR#2, just like Tony Gonzalez is a WR #2.

The question comes down to how good Rodgers turns out. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that teams will scheme to stop the run against GB until Rodgers can prove that he has what it takes in him. If he fails we could easily see a bottom of the league offense in GB next year. Because ultimately, if your QB sucks, your offense sucks.

I just can't believe in Rodgers until I see what he is made out of. I don't care who he has around him if he can't deliver. And this guy has played about a half game worth of meaningful snaps in the NFL at this point. And I didn't come away overly impressed with his game in Dallas. The guy took what was there and completed a lot of short passes (which Jennings turned into big plays a couple of time), but he was also way too quick to run with the ball. Almost reminiscent of Joey Harrington (minus the throwing the ball out of bounds). If I remember correctly, Dallas was daring GB to pass as they basically shut down the running game when Rodgers was in there as well. I think that will be the blueprint for 2008.

Driver is a WR1.
The thing that made the GB offense click last year was the fact that the wideouts made short catches and turned them into 25 yard gains. That's what driver does and that is what makes him good. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and I think the best in the league YAC for the packers wrs speaks volumes to the fact that they are gonna help rodgers out immensely. From 04-06 driver faced more double teams than any other wideout. Sometimes triple teams. He is absolutely a safety valve wr because he is almost always open.

As for grant, I think just the fact that he is gonna get 20-25 carries and 3+ receptions per game really helps his value. He is also the goaline back, and that can't really be said for more than 6 or 7 guys this year. Maybe they will stuggle a little, but I think you are overanalyzing this situation if you disregard grant because of rodgers.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Daddymike59 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:38 pm

RYAN GRANT COULD BE A HOLDOUT
Posted Jul. 16 at 11:36 AM
The agent for Green Bay Packers exclusive rights free agent RB RYAN
GRANT has gone on the record to say his client will not sign a
minimum tender. Grant is not expected to report to training camp
until a long-term contract can be agreed upon. Source: Green Bay
Press-Gazette.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Azrael » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:17 pm

I'm getting pretty tired of these guys playing well for one year (well not even that, what, 12 games) and then wanting a nice deal. I'd be like hold out then fool if I was GBP. See how fun it is sitting on your can getting no check. See how many teams want you after you haven't touched a football in a year, knowing your track record is 12 frickin' games 2 years ago. Show me you can do it again for a whole year and then we'll talk.

It's like these idiot receivers who get big deals and then 2 years later want a new deal because someone they think they are better than got more money than them.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk