Can anyone explain this to me? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Can anyone explain this to me?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Can anyone explain this to me?

Postby robnestrick » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:41 pm

As an Eagles fan, I have been following a few of the mock drafts and they tend to be picking one of three areas, CB, WR, or OL. I agree with the need at OL, because the line is aging, Justice is still a question mark as to whether he can start in this league. I'm not a huge fan of getting a WR because it typically would take a WR too long to develop with the current roster to make a run at a SB.

So, then I see that they'd take a CB in the first round and trade Lito. I understand that Lito may be upset about his contract and looking to go elsewhere with the Samuels signing, but why would you trade Lito for even a second rounder to pick up a CB in the first? It seems to me, that you keep Lito if you're thinking of taking a CB in the first. Why waste a first rounder when you already have a very good CB????

** Also my hope/dream is that CJ because an Eagle with a nice trade of their first rounder and Lito Shepard :) Seems to make sense for both sides, as the Eagles get the offensive weapon to compliment Westbrook, and the Bengals get a staring CB and a first round pick.
robnestrick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Can anyone explain this to me?

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:33 pm

It might have to do with the contract/salary cap situation of the Eagles. I'm guessing those rumors are out there because the Eagles can't afford to have Lito and Asante beyond this year? That's my speculation, I haven't followed the Eagles much this offseason.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Can anyone explain this to me?

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:26 am

Actually Lito's hit isn't the problem, most of his money has been paid to him. He is actually failry affordable, given the cap situation. the problem is, he was grumbling last season about redoing his contract, which in fact is ridiculous, considering he can't stay on the field. then, the whispers are that he dogged it a bit when he was on the field. Sot he problem isn't so much the here and now, just that he is injury prone, dissatisfied. On the other hand, he is extremely talented. The samuel thing seems similar to the moats draft pick to me, in that the future was uncertain with Westbrook, so you have to CYA.

I believe the reality is, if need be, they could keep him, and go with something dawkins/brown as safeties, lito and samuel starting corners. Nickel packages, lito, sheldon, samuel corners, dawkins, mikell safeties. That keeps josmelio hansen out of there.

I mean, they shouldn't trade him just for the hell of it. If the best player that they could realistically get was samuel, you can't just keep biding your time every year till the best possible scenario comes, you take the best players you can get sometimes, especially with donovan being at a crossroads and westbrook getting one year older each time you do that.

the reason you waste a first rounder, is that first rounder is cheaper than the one you already have, and will be for a few years, so it can be worth it do stuff like that IF the player you get is something you are sure about. that frees up roster funds elsewhere. But Lito isn't that expensive, given his talent.

doubt they get CJ. A) the whole thing smacks of TO all over again B) he gives the bengals a big cap hit.

We just have to wait and see with Lito. But worst-case scenario is still a good one--you end up with three high quality corners, in a division with the Super Bowl champs and the number one NFC seed. Work on the pass rush, and it will be very, very hard to pass on them. considering the run d was much more solid than usual last year, could be looking at a really nice d. If you can't get the receiver, then that's a fine way to get back in contention.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk