Return to Football Talk

Pollack Retires

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pollack Retires

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:39 am

Lewis: Pollack will retire

By Mark Curnutte
mcurnutte@enquirer.com

Bengals linebacker David Pollack has expressed to head coach Marvin Lewis that he is “headed to retirement,” Lewis said late this morning in a news conference.

“He is not completely comfortable where he is medically,” Lewis said. “We know the quality of the person. We’re proceeding that he will not be part of the football team.”

Pollack, the team’s first-round draft pick in 2005, fractured his C6 vertebrae in Game 2 of the 2006 season and has not played since.

Lewis said he spoke with Pollack a week ago, when Pollack told him of his decision.

“The good thing he is going to have an outstanding life,” Lewis said of Pollack.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Pollack Retires

Postby Metroid » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:06 pm

It's too bad his carrier was cut so short, I really thought highly of him. More importantly he can walk, has all his motor functions and should be able to lead a healthy life outside of football. I know he'll miss the game but some things are way more important, I'm glad he recognized that. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby logan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:52 pm

not to surprising as it looked like it was going to happen sooner or later but as met said it's good he has the ability to have a normal life overall.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby gersh71 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:03 pm

Amen.
When nobody has your back, you gotta MOVE your back.
gersh71
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby onnestabe » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:57 pm

I feel terrible for him that it's come to this because he had a ton of potential, but it could have been way worse for him. It's good that he is able to walk away from the game at this point. Good luck to him in his future endeavors.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Munboy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:21 am

I'm glad he'll be able to lead a normal life outside of football, but it sucks we won't get to see him play anymore. I loved watching him play at Georgia. He was an every down, no play off time of player. If he was on the field, he was playing 110%.

I think I mentioned this when the injury happened, but I'll mention it again. He made one of the best plays I've ever seen in football, college or nfl. The Dawgs had the other team (don't remember who, maybe Georgia Tech) backed up at their own goalline. Pollack beats his man around the edge, dives at the QB as he cocks his arm back to throw, hits the QB's arm as he spins around him, some how the football ends up cradled in one arm as he spins around the QB and lands in the end zone. TD!!!

That's one of those plays that sticks in my head when i think about football. Its right up there with Bettis plowing over Urlacher for a TD.

Scratch that, it looks like it was Arkansas they were playing.

Here's a vid, they show it at just about 30 seconds. I might capture the video and slow it down some when i get a minute. ;-D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TN1EhBcw_v0
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk