Preston Parker Arrested on Drug and Weapon Charges - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Preston Parker Arrested on Drug and Weapon Charges

Moderator: Football Moderators

Preston Parker Arrested on Drug and Weapon Charges

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:42 pm

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State officials said they will have an announcement on the future of standout receiver Preston Parker after the athlete's arrest in South Florida on drug and weapons charges.

According to the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, Parker was arrested early Tuesday on charges of carrying a concealed .45-caliber handgun and possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana.

Parker was named Florida State's most valuable player last season after leading the team with 1,513 all-purpose yards and 62 receptions.

The 21-year-old's arrest is the first major discipline problem at the school since the arrival of new athletic director Randy Spetman earlier this year.
Last edited by deerayfan072 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Preston Parker Arrested on Drug and Weapon Charges

Postby Metroid » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:04 pm

Why didn't you include your little CrimiNOLES graphic? :-D

Anyway what an idiot, having both the weed and a gun at the same time will probably get him tossed out of school, if he had one or the other I could see just a suspension. I don't know how it is out there in Florida but here in Cali drugs and guns do not mix, I imagine he'll have to do some jail time.

Whats the law there dee? Under an ounce a misdemeanor? He was carrying 20 grams, thats just under 3 quarters of an ounce. And what are the laws down there regarding carrying guns and drugs? I hope for his sake it was at least registered. Also was he near a school?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:23 am

Metroid wrote:Why didn't you include your little CrimiNOLES graphic? :-D

Anyway what an idiot, having both the weed and a gun at the same time will probably get him tossed out of school, if he had one or the other I could see just a suspension. I don't know how it is out there in Florida but here in Cali drugs and guns do not mix, I imagine he'll have to do some jail time.

Whats the law there dee? Under an ounce a misdemeanor? He was carrying 20 grams, thats just under 3 quarters of an ounce. And what are the laws down there regarding carrying guns and drugs? I hope for his sake it was at least registered. Also was he near a school?

Fix the graphic

Off hand am not sure what the sentence is for that amount. I am sure it was intent to sell, which makes it a felony. Add the gun to it and it is not good at all. I am sure he isn't 21, which means it is illegal to carry a handgun and I am sure it wasn't registered, since it was illegal and I bet he didn't have a concealed weapons permit either. Having a gun and drugs is def a bad thing. It wasn't near a school, that is the onlyu good news he will hear
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:50 am

If he's facing felony charges then I imagine his days at Florida State are over. With all the problems that school has had with players in the past I don't see how they keep him around, the athletic director has to make a stand that this type of behavior will not be tolerated any longer.
Metroid

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:26 pm

Metroid wrote:If he's facing felony charges then I imagine his days at Florida State are over. With all the problems that school has had with players in the past I don't see how they keep him around, the athletic director has to make a stand that this type of behavior will not be tolerated any longer.

I agree. This is a new AD that was hired after the cheating scandal to clean up the program. If he is soft on him, even if nothing happens in the court, I would expect the NCAA to start looking very critically at FSU and you could see them hit with a major violation for the next offense, no matter how minor it is.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon May 19, 2008 3:40 pm

suspended the first 2 games against (Sept. 6 vs. Western Carolina and Sept. 13 vs. UT Chattanooga). Great job there Bowden

it is also amazing how he was able to plead guilty to 2 misdemeanors and get probation although he was up for serious felonies. Gotta love our legal system
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Mon May 19, 2008 3:50 pm

Wow! 8-o
Metroid

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:05 pm

Florida State coach Bobby Bowden, during a recent booster-club visit to Tampa after running back Preston Parker's arrest on a weapons charge, said he owned a gun and "if you are in certain neighborhoods, you better have a gun. You have to protect yourself and your family. I really hate to say that, but it's the way things have gotten."

After his hiring as head coach last season, Miami's Randy Shannon instituted a team rule. "Zero tolerance," Shannon said. "Get caught with a firearm, you get dismissed from the university."

Meyer's policy?

"I don't think there's any place for it," Meyer said. "I've actually had some conversations with parents who bought their children a gun. It's where they're from and what they believe in. But I tell them that's not acceptable here. Get rid of the gun or they won't play.

"It's one of our core values. We had a guy do it offensive lineman Ronnie Wilson was suspended in 2007 for firing an AK-47 assault rifle into the air during an altercation. He didn't play. The University of Florida doesn't allow guns."

Nice Bowden
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Wed May 28, 2008 11:52 am

Wow....again. 8-o
Metroid

Return to College Football