Another Example of Why I hate Jon Gruden - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Another Example of Why I hate Jon Gruden

Moderator: Football Moderators

Another Example of Why I hate Jon Gruden

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:18 pm

TAMPA — There hasn't been a bigger buildup of arms since the Cold War, but Jon Gruden really doesn't care what folks think of his obsession with quarterbacks.

Since arriving in Tampa Bay in 2002, Gruden has had nine players start at least one game under center, and six signal-callers are now on the roster.......

"I never understood that," Gruden said. "In Philadelphia, Ty Detmer played well as a young guy. In Oakland, Bobby Hoying did play well when I was there. Chris (Simms) did help us here before he got hurt. He played pretty good and helped win a division title. There's not a lot of left-handed guys playing in the league, either. Which is another question I keep trying to find the answers to."

This year, as many as three quarterbacks could go in the first round. But the top one on most boards is Boston College's Matt Ryan, who will likely be long gone before the Bucs make their 20th overall selection........

Seriously? Seriously? He is freaking mad. Bobby Hoying and Ty Detmer were good? Please some Eagle fan tell me when Ty was a good NFL starting QB. If we draft a QB I am going to drive down to one Buc and personally rip off Grudens arms and beat him to death with them

mod edit - please post links and just a tease or the necessary(limited) information to make your point. Do not post entire artice text. Thank you
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Another Example of Why I hate Jon Gruden

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:39 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Seriously? Seriously? He is freaking mad. Bobby Hoying and Ty Detmer were good? Please some Eagle fan tell me when Ty was a good NFL starting QB. If we draft a QB I am going to drive down to one Buc and personally rip off Grudens arms and beat him to death with them

Well, he was good in college. ;-7

Seriously, I got no problems with all this.
We visit y'all this year and I kinda want us to win. ;-) :-D
Last edited by Nfl Fan on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:40 pm

Detmer was....serviceable. Hoying....lol.

What you guys need to do is get on the Sage Rosenfels experience, now THAT is a good QB.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:03 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:Detmer was....serviceable. Hoying....lol.

What you guys need to do is get on the Sage Rosenfels experience, now THAT is a good QB.

He wasn't a 1st rounder ;-7
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby m16a » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:01 pm

I can't speak much for Detmer, but every time Hoying took the field I felt like shoving hot pokers into my eyes. HE WAS AWFUL!
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:46 am

I nearly feel bad for you deeray. But then I see October 26th on the schedule and I don't mind your team sucking too much. :-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:14 am

The thing is both of those players started off with a few decent games. The hype on Hoying for a little while there was silly. He had a 300 yard game with 4 tds in 1997. and had 1500 yards, 11 tds, 6 INT's, and a QB rating of 84. THEN the wheels fell off. He started with some degree of promise though.

Yea before that, Ty Detmer had a pretty good year. 2900 yards, 15 TDs in 13 games, 11 started, 3, 300 yard games, and a 280 yard game. Had an 80 QB rating. Then, well we know the rest.

I think Gruden is overrated and foolish for posting this, but Both of those guys did have some flashes of brilliance and a little run that got hopes up. But calling either one good is a stretch by a wide margin.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:22 am

So Griese is not happy about being here. He yelled at Gruden asking why he let him go only to trade for him 2 years later to make him a back up. He then called him some names I can't say here. Sounds like a match made in heaven ;-D

I am so glad he is our coach
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:22 am

eaglesrule wrote:I think Gruden is overrated and foolish for posting this.

I don't think he is overrated by very many people. That and you know you spend too much time on a message board when you start substituting the word "posting" for "saying". :-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:36 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:I think Gruden is overrated and foolish for posting this.

I don't think he is overrated by very many people. That and you know you spend too much time on a message board when you start substituting the word "posting" for "saying". :-D

He really is when you read/talk to scouts, football GMs, other coaches etc. I have read/heard multiple times that he is a top 5-7 coach. That is why it is so hard to convince people we should fire his sorry a$$.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk