Great Article: What 1 Ex-NFL Exec Would Do With 5 Teams - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Great Article: What 1 Ex-NFL Exec Would Do With 5 Teams

Moderator: Football Moderators

Great Article: What 1 Ex-NFL Exec Would Do With 5 Teams

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:26 am

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/f ... ml?eref=T1

article wrote:If I called the shots: Five draft weekend plans for needy teams

By Michael Lombardi, SI.com

Michael Lombardi is a 22-year veteran of NFL personnel departments, spending eight years with the Raiders and nine years with the Browns, in addition to brief stints with the Broncos, Eagles and 49ers.

Draft weekend is one of my favorite times of the year. NFL executives have spent the past nine months studying and now it's finally time to take the exam. As they enter the war room it is essential that they rely on their knowledge of every team's strengths and weaknesses and, most importantly, how those teams will think and react. Here are my recommendations for several teams this weekend:

If I worked for the Jets, I would ...
Prepare for the unexpected. The draft for the New York Jets does not start until the Atlanta Falcons make their selection at No. 3. Before the Falcons make their pick, I would have two plans in place.

Plan A would assume the Falcons did not select Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan......

Now, Plan B. If the Falcons pick Ryan at three, then I stay where I am and pick Stewart, assuming the Raiders take McFadden........

If I worked for the Broncos, I would ...
Think big. The Broncos in the late '90s had great success building an offensive line with quick, smallish athletes. They won two Super Bowls with this approach........

If I worked for the Raiders, I would ...
Draft Darren McFadden. The alternative, likely Ohio State LB/DE Vernon Gholston, has too many questions marks......

If I worked for the Saints, I would ...Draft Jonathan Stewart. The Saints badly need a full-time running back......

If I worked for the Eagles, I would ...
Fix my offensive line......

mod edit - please post links and just a tease or the necessary(limited) information to make your point. Do not post entire artice text. Thank you

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Great Article: What 1 Ex-NFL Exec Would Do With 5 Teams

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:48 pm

41 Looks and no comments? :-? :-b ;-)

flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:49 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/specials/draft/2008/04/24/lombardi.iwould/index.html?eref=T1

article wrote:If I called the shots: Five draft weekend plans for needy teams

By Michael Lombardi, SI.com

Michael Lombardi is a 22-year veteran of NFL personnel departments, spending eight years with the Raiders and nine years with the Browns, in addition to brief stints with the Broncos, Eagles and 49ers.

Draft weekend is one of my favorite times of the year. NFL executives have spent the past nine months studying and now it's finally time to take the exam. As they enter the war room it is essential that they rely on their knowledge of every team's strengths and weaknesses and, most importantly, how those teams will think and react. Here are my recommendations for several teams this weekend:

If I worked for the Jets, I would ...
Prepare for the unexpected. The draft for the New York Jets does not start until the Atlanta Falcons make their selection at No. 3. Before the Falcons make their pick, I would have two plans in place.

Plan A would assume the Falcons did not select Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan......

Now, Plan B. If the Falcons pick Ryan at three, then I stay where I am and pick Stewart, assuming the Raiders take McFadden........

If I worked for the Broncos, I would ...
Think big. The Broncos in the late '90s had great success building an offensive line with quick, smallish athletes. They won two Super Bowls with this approach........

If I worked for the Raiders, I would ...
Draft Darren McFadden. The alternative, likely Ohio State LB/DE Vernon Gholston, has too many questions marks......

If I worked for the Saints, I would ...Draft Jonathan Stewart. The Saints badly need a full-time running back......

If I worked for the Eagles, I would ...
Fix my offensive line......

mod edit - please post links and just a tease or the necessary(limited) information to make your point. Do not post entire artice text. Thank you

:-/

flotsamnjetsam

Postby eagles21 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:29 pm

Maybe the Eagles should have taken this guy's opinion into consideration after passing on Otah by trading and then not picking an O-lineman in the 2nd. :-b

I think that our O-line should outperform what they did last year. Despite being old, they still are pretty darn talented. Plus, I think that the Eagles can pick a sleeper O-lineman late and develop him into a pretty decent player, or at least I hope. ;-D
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dawinner127 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:47 pm

Stewart for the Jets? Is he nuts? I thought Carolina was nuts for taking Stewart at 13(14, can't remember), but I mean c'mon? I personally think Gholston is a top 3 player in this draft and he easily has the potential to be the best of this draft class.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:25 am

Dawinner127 wrote:Stewart for the Jets? Is he nuts? I thought Carolina was nuts for taking Stewart at 13(14, can't remember), but I mean c'mon? I personally think Gholston is a top 3 player in this draft and he easily has the potential to be the best of this draft class.

I hope that prediction has the same result as your 10-6 prediction. :-b ;-D :-)

flotsamnjetsam

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:37 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Dawinner127 wrote:Stewart for the Jets? Is he nuts? I thought Carolina was nuts for taking Stewart at 13(14, can't remember), but I mean c'mon? I personally think Gholston is a top 3 player in this draft and he easily has the potential to be the best of this draft class.

I hope that prediction has the same result as your 10-6 prediction. :-b ;-D :-)

haha ;-D I love to be optimistic :-b (^)
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Return to Football Talk