Packers' QB situation with Brohm in the fold - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Packers' QB situation with Brohm in the fold

Moderator: Football Moderators

Packers' QB situation with Brohm in the fold

Postby Warpigs » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:52 pm

The Packers were unimpressive (at least to this fan) in the first two rounds outside of picking Brohm in the second round. How do you think he will be used this season? Will the Packers still try to land a veteran QB like Culpepper, or will they focus totally on their young tandem.

BTW, while I think it is wishful thinking, I wish they would deal for Shockey now (I'm not as worried about his injuries and locker room presence).
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Packers' QB situation with Brohm in the fold

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:10 pm

ive said time and time again that i believe that brohm is the best QB in this class. better than ryan. better than flacco. the pack got a steal getting him that late IMO.

i honestly had expected the packers to go after a veteran QB...but im sure seeing the value in brohm that late in the second was too good to pass on. rodgers is not very durable and has some serious question marks having shown only flashes of nfl ability, and i think he is going to be heavily challenged for his job this year. i think brohm is one of those guys that comes into the league and doesnt need the usual grooming time rooks get. i think he beats rodgers out of his job.

as far as still getting a guy like c-pep id say there is still a good chance. especially c-pep can be had cheap and would bring some vet experience to at least brohm (i think if rodgers didnt pick up enough from favre, he is already a lost cause). if they dont get a vet backup, i wouldnt be surprised to see these two duke it out for a starting job and if both do poorly revert to a heavier dose of ryan grant.

not sure why you want shockey. i understand he is talentled, but i think donald lee emerged as a real deal TE last year and is quite a bit cheaper and less of a headache/injury prone.

just my opinions of course. :-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Warpigs » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:17 pm

I still wonder why the Pack passed up on Fred Davis early in the second round. I know they have Lee, but with so many offenses turning to a two-TE set, and combined with all the receiver talent already on the squad, I thought this made so much more sense than Jordy Nelson. Heck, there were better WR options at that point if they really wanted to go receiver. Then again, Thompson has done well with drafts before making selections that didn't seem to have sex appeal up front.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby dgan » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:24 pm

I agree with you, deluxe. I like Brohm. The problem is, do we really want to start the non-Favre era with a QB controversy? Especially on top of the looming possibility of a Favre comeback? If we lack that much confidence in Aaron's potential, we should have made that decision before. Having two inexperienced QBs rarely results in anything positive. Ask Washington, Miami, Baltimore, or anyone else who has tried to go that route in the past decade. Usually you want to bring in a young QB to push a veteran. At other positions you can have inexperienced guys compete, but the money that you pay QBs and the confidence you are trying to build...this just doesn't help. At this point, I'd almost rather they trade Rodgers for a couple third and fourth round picks. Problem is, any team that would do that just drafted a QB today.

This is typical Packers. They draft the 'best player available' and worry about needs and roster spots later. That's why they traded out of the first round to add a 4th round pick, only to watch the top Safety and Tight End go off the board immediately in the following two selections. Both pressing needs and the players available would have been immediate impact starters, but obviously they were not high enough on our board to pull the trigger. Instead we draft a 5th WR...nice.

So I guess I'm saying the Rodgers/Brohm situation doesn't surprise me or worry me as much as some of the other needs we have. We expect the QB position to be an issue all season anyway, and we just hope the rest of the team picks up the slack.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:24 pm

yeah i didnt like the jordy nelson pick. i like the depth and talent your team already had at WR. didnt make sense to me.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Warpigs » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:29 pm

dgan wrote:I agree with you, deluxe. I like Brohm. The problem is, do we really want to start the non-Favre era with a QB controversy? Especially on top of the looming possibility of a Favre comeback? If we lack that much confidence in Aaron's potential, we should have made that decision before. Having two inexperienced QBs rarely results in anything positive. Ask Washington, Miami, Baltimore, or anyone else who has tried to go that route in the past decade. Usually you want to bring in a young QB to push a veteran. At other positions you can have inexperienced guys compete, but the money that you pay QBs and the confidence you are trying to build...this just doesn't help. At this point, I'd almost rather they trade Rodgers for a couple third and fourth round picks. Problem is, any team that would do that just drafted a QB today.

This is typical Packers. They draft the 'best player available' and worry about needs and roster spots later. That's why they traded out of the first round to add a 4th round pick, only to watch the top Safety and Tight End go off the board immediately in the following two selections. Both pressing needs and the players available would have been immediate impact starters, but obviously they were not high enough on our board to pull the trigger. Instead we draft a 5th WR...nice.

So I guess I'm saying the Rodgers/Brohm situation doesn't surprise me or worry me as much as some of the other needs we have. We expect the QB position to be an issue all season anyway, and we just hope the rest of the team picks up the slack.

Hey man, I agree with your frustration on the Packers picking another WR early in the second round. I thought it was stupid, to say the least -- especially since they could have had Jordy in the third round (possibly) considering all the other WR talent in the draft. However, I don't fault them for picking Brohm. Who in their right mind expected either Brohm or Henne to fall that far? When you have concerns about whether or not your current starting QB is truly ready to be a top-flight starting QB in the NFL, you just can't pass up a talent like Brohm at that selection.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby dgan » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:37 pm

Warpigs wrote:
Hey man, I agree with your frustration on the Packers picking another WR early in the second round. I thought it was stupid, to say the least -- especially since they could have had Jordy in the third round (possibly) considering all the other WR talent in the draft. However, I don't fault them for picking Brohm. Who in their right mind expected either Brohm or Henne to fall that far? When you have concerns about whether or not your current starting QB is truly ready to be a top-flight starting QB in the NFL, you just can't pass up a talent like Brohm at that selection.

We said the same thing about Rodgers when he fell to us at 21 or whatever a few years ago. :-b

But I agree, I don't have a problem with getting Brohm at a bargain price like that. I just don't think it is going to be healthy for either of them to compete. Of course, Rodgers could get hurt tomorrow, so from that standpoint I like having someone like Brohm so that we don't have to put the future "on hold" every time Rodgers gets hurt. That didn't work so well for Grossman and the Bears.

Either way, the QB situation was going to be an issue anyway. We just have a different problem than we did before. I'd still like to get a veteran (preferably not Culpepper but a good solid career backup QB) that can help these guys along.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:37 pm

dgan wrote:I agree with you, deluxe. I like Brohm. The problem is, do we really want to start the non-Favre era with a QB controversy? Especially on top of the looming possibility of a Favre comeback? If we lack that much confidence in Aaron's potential, we should have made that decision before. Having two inexperienced QBs rarely results in anything positive. Ask Washington, Miami, Baltimore, or anyone else who has tried to go that route in the past decade. Usually you want to bring in a young QB to push a veteran. At other positions you can have inexperienced guys compete, but the money that you pay QBs and the confidence you are trying to build...this just doesn't help. At this point, I'd almost rather they trade Rodgers for a couple third and fourth round picks. Problem is, any team that would do that just drafted a QB today.

well i think this with move, you can pretty much put a nail in the "brett comeback" coffin.

i see your point of not wanting a controversy...but i think it was going to happen either way. if you bring in a veteran i still think rodgers would be challenged for his job. i just dont think he is that good. if i were a packers fan i would feel more comfortable knowing i had other guys around for motivation and backup if neccessary. it sucks for rodgers, but this is the nfl, no one is ever safe...and he needs to step up to the challenge. if he cant do that, or handle the pressure after already been in the league for years... he most likely wasnt your guy anyways.

maybe they didnt plan on taking a QB today, but when they saw the value they jumped on it knowing that qb was a concern and they basically just got a guy who was a top 10 pick if he had came out last season. maybe thats why they hadnt made a move to dump rodgers before. its hard to say, but i think they made a good move.

if anyone knows about having a crappy Qb, its me...you should just be happy to have multiple guys that have potential should one fail. i dont see it as a bad thing outside of veteran leadership.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kilroy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:09 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:ive said time and time again that i believe that brohm is the best QB in this class. better than ryan. better than flacco. the pack got a steal getting him that late IMO.

i honestly had expected the packers to go after a veteran QB...but im sure seeing the value in brohm that late in the second was too good to pass on. rodgers is not very durable and has some serious question marks having shown only flashes of nfl ability, and i think he is going to be heavily challenged for his job this year. i think brohm is one of those guys that comes into the league and doesnt need the usual grooming time rooks get. i think he beats rodgers out of his job.

as far as still getting a guy like c-pep id say there is still a good chance. especially c-pep can be had cheap and would bring some vet experience to at least brohm (i think if rodgers didnt pick up enough from favre, he is already a lost cause). if they dont get a vet backup, i wouldnt be surprised to see these two duke it out for a starting job and if both do poorly revert to a heavier dose of ryan grant.

not sure why you want shockey. i understand he is talentled, but i think donald lee emerged as a real deal TE last year and is quite a bit cheaper and less of a headache/injury prone.

just my opinions of course. :-D

I'm with you to a point on Brohm...not so much that he's the "best" QB in this class, I think that was Flacco (I hate to say it, both because the Ratbirds took him and because he's likely gonna job Troy out of a gig eventually), but I'll give you that he's the most NFL-Ready of the bunch, no slouch, and was a nice value where Green Bay got him.

I won't fault the Pack for taking him. He may not win the starting job outright (as you said, although I wouldn't be shocked if he did), but when you're a team with serious playoff aspirations (not just of making them, but of advancing), you'd best have an alternative plan to Aaron Rodgers (not a knock on him so much as his resume (or lack thereof)).

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby stomperrob » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:52 pm

...definitely means Brett doesn't need to sit by the phone any more! ;-) :-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Next

Return to Football Talk