2008 Draft results - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Dallas Cowboys

2008 Draft results

Moderator: Football Moderators

2008 Draft results

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:46 pm

Felix Jones with the 22nd pick

Strengths:
Excellent speed and quickness...Explosive with a terrific burst...Elusive in the open field...Good feet...Nice balance and change of direction skills...Great vision...Terrific hands as a receiver and runs good routes...A legit big play threat who can take it the distance...Good production...Team player with good intangibles...There isn't a lot of wear and tear on his body....Versatile and also an outstanding kick returner.

Weaknesses:
Never carried the load in college...Size and bulk are just average...Not very strong or powerful...Doesn't break a lot of tackles or pick up many yards after contact...A sub par blocker...Needs to show more patience...Won't do much damage between the tackles...His upside could be limited to a change of pace role at the next level.

Perfect fit for what we need but so was Mendehall. That is if we can lock down Barber for in a long term deal. My only knock on Jones is doesn't bring 3 downs and can't run through the tackles very well. He will be an excellent at KR/PR. I think Felix Jones will work out fine.

Mike Jenkins with the 25th pick

Strengths:
Has very good size and bulk with long arms...A great athlete...Good timed speed and acceleration with a burst to close...Physical...Natural cover skills...Is versatile with experience at both corner and safety..Smooth with fluid hips and nice change of direction...Breaks on the ball quickly...Also offers some special teams potential.

Weaknesses:
Is not great in run support...Not overly instinctive...Pretty inconsistent...Has some character questions...Footwork and technique are shaky...Lacks superb ball skills and awareness...Toughness may be an issue...Might be a bit of a CB / S 'tweener.

I really like this pick. I absolutely can't believe he slipped to 25. I have him as the #3 CB on the board and really like his upside and versatility. The more I think about this pick the happier I am. This is a much better corner than I thought would be available to us at the 25th spot. I don't think we could have done better here.

Martellus Bennett with the 61st pick

Strengths:
Excellent size with long arms and a huge frame...Outstanding athleticism...Has big reliable hands and can pluck the ball away from his body...Real tough, strong and physical...Terrific ball skills and body control...Decent route runner..Above average blocker with the potential to get even better..Has decent upside and should replace Fassano.

Weaknesses:
Lacks elite timed speed...Not real quick or explosive...Not a vertical threat who will stretch the field...Could stand to bulk up...Needs to get stronger...Is still raw from a technique standpoint...Not very elusive and won't do much after the catch...May still be a tad bit immature.

This pick was a big ? in my mind. I know we just got rid of Fassano and are in need of a TE but we also need help at WR. I was hoping we grabbed Manningham here. But overall a good first day.

I am ecstatic after the first 2 picks. ;-D :-D

Day 2

Tashard Choice with the 122nd pick

Strengths:
Natural runner with excellent instincts...Terrific vision...Hits the hole hard..Is tough and aggressive...Adequate blocker...Good hands and can catch the ball out of the backfield...Nice balance...Hard worker and leader with top intangibles...Productive.

Weaknesses:
Timed speed is just average...Not very elusive and doesn't have much wiggle...He doesn't run with a lot of power and lacks strength...Is not a big play threat...Might run too physical for his own good...Durability is a concern..Upside could be limited.

I like this pick as insurance and for depth at that position. This gives us some options at RB no matter what MBIII decides to do. Plays very much like Barber and can handle a decent load. I like the leadership ability, work ethic, and intangibles he brings.

Orlando Scandrick with the 143rd pick

Strengths:
Adequate size and bulk...Outstanding timed speed...A good athlete..Hips are very fluid and he flips them well to turn and run...Has quick feet...Good ball skills...Can also contribute on special teams...Is tough and physical...Has a ton of experience.

Weaknesses:
Inconsistent and doesn't always play up to his physical tools...Doesn't get a great jam at the line...Just an average tackler...Can be blocked....Did not pick off a lot of passes...Was not really tested that much...Questionable instincts and awareness.

I like this pick given the risk Pacman brings. He was a three-year starter at Boise St. Ran the second fastest forty time for a corner at the '08 Scouting Combine. Has a knack for blocking kicks and could also work as a return man. He is a Press / Man cover guy with excellent triangle numbers. Really put his name on the map with great workouts and has starting potential. This guy just might be a steal down the line.

Erik Walden with the 167th pick

Strengths:
Walden is a hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker that was the Sun Belt's top pass rushing threat the past few seasons. He is a good fit for our defensive scheme because he can cover and rush the passer as a speed rusher. He is 6-2, 238-pound who made 11.5 sacks and 48 tackles on his way to First Team All-Sun Belt honors in 2006-2007. He has 48 total tackles and 12 sacks in 2007-2008. Able to play linebacker if needed, he's physical enough to handle himself fine up front to go along with speed that's too much for most Sun Belt offensive linemen to handle.

Weaknesses:
Can't find much information on him but I'm sure if he is available this late and isn't on most draft boards that there is plenty of weaknesses. Didn't start but came in more as a play maker.

This is the type of player we always seem to try and grab late in the draft. I think he will fill a need as a playmaker but won't ever start.

Over all I give this draft a B. If we had grabbed Mendenhall I would say A-. If we grab Boldin or Williams via FA then it becomes an A- without Mendenhall. Overall I feel we addressed most of our needs except WR. We had a chance to trade up in the 2nd and get a great WR prospect but I don't feel they were sold on this years WR draft class. I wasn't either actually. All of them seemed to have a little baggage.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Return to Dallas Cowboys