Who is the first pick in rookie dynasty league drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the first pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Poll ended at Sat May 03, 2008 9:20 am

RB Darren McFadden, Oakland Raiders
49%
RB Rashard Mendenhall, Pittsburgh Steelers
21%
RB Jonathan Stewart, Carolina Panthers
23%
RB Felix Jones, Dallas Cowboys
2%
QB Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons
2%
Other (PLEASE DISCUSS!)
2%

Total votes : 47

Postby The Lung » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:20 am

Who is the #1 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts this year? You are voting on who will have the best fantasy football production in the NFL over the next 5 or 6 years with the team on which the player was just drafted, NOT who will have the best year in 2008. Also please assume that you have a balanced roster and don't have a great specific need for a QB, WR, etc.

Feel free to discuss the pros and cons of these players - this could be helpful for some and generate some good discussion. If you vote "other" please discuss the player after you vote.

(Also, for comparison sake, Cafe members voted on the top 12 rookie dynasty picks back in February and March, the results of which can be viewed here)
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who is the first pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby The Lung » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:28 am

I voted Rashard Mendenhall.

Maybe a homer pick, but Fast Willie Parker isn't gonna stay fast forever. He turns 28 in November and will eventually start showing wear from being a feature back. In the meantime, Mendenhall could take over Davenpoop's goal line carries. Rashard is young (doesn't turn 21 until June of this year) and the tread on his tires is factory new.

Mendenhall is an elite RB on a run-oriented team that is the Pittsburgh Steelers, and my #1 pick. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby treat24 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:06 am

Wow, I was leaning Stewart... but your last post made me waiver Lung... I'm gonna hold my vote...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:49 am

treat24 wrote:Wow, I was leaning Stewart... but your last post made me waiver Lung... I'm gonna hold my vote...

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Stewart. I personally don't like his situation, DeAngelo is young and imo pretty good if he can develop.

But I would say McFadden, just because of his talent, the Raiders situation is a bit murkey right now in general, but they are taking steps to improve the offense (drafted a QB #1 and got Javon Walker) and all those RBs won't be there forever, but while they are the will be taking carries from McFadden which will improve his longevity hopefully for later when he is taking the major load.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:17 am

Voted, but I am not saying who for because I have some Dynasty drafts coming up ;-)
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:35 am

I went McFadden ( how long before someone tabs him D-Mac?) simply because the Raiders know how to run the ball, and he will be the best back on that team. But it also depends what you, as a manager are looking for. I love Mendenhall (I was desperately hoping the Bears were going to call his name) and Lung put up a good argument for taking him first, as you can let him sit in a dynasty league. There might also be the possibility where as an owner, you might have been counting on Favre to return for one more year, and suddenly you don't look so good with Jon Kitna thrust into the forefront. So maybe you go Matt Ryan at this pick. I guess it's whether you are in "win now" or "build now" mode with your team.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Kilroy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:44 pm

treat24 wrote:Wow, I was leaning Stewart... but your last post made me waiver Lung... I'm gonna hold my vote...

I'll carry that flag.

I liked Stewart the best of the "Big 3" Backs before the draft. Nice mixture of speed and size, a textbook "prototypical" NFL Running Back.

Now he plops into arguably the best situation of the three from a fantasy perspective. He's not stuck behind an All-Pro Running Back in Pittsburgh (before we throw dirt on Willie Parker, he's 28 not 38, doesn't have a lot of mileage on the ol' chassis, and would have likely won the Rushing Title had he not busted his leg last year) or stuck in the 4th Circle of Football Hell in Oakland (the Hell of a 1,000 Senile Lunatics). Once again the Panthers have shown that they have little to no faith in DeAngelo Williams as a Featured Running Back, and I would not be AT ALL surprised to see Stewart start on Opening Day, with Williams coming in on 3rd Down.

Some may feel that Stewart doesn't have the most upside of the 3 (I don't necessarily agree), but I'd counter that he also (IMO) is the least risky pick of the 3, and if I was picking 1.01 in a Dynasty Rookie Draft he'd by my selection without question.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby TheDiplomats » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:01 pm

The Lung wrote:I voted Rashard Mendenhall.

Maybe a homer pick, but Fast Willie Parker isn't gonna stay fast forever. He turns 28 in November and will eventually start showing wear from being a feature back. In the meantime, Mendenhall could take over Davenpoop's goal line carries. Rashard is young (doesn't turn 21 until June of this year) and the tread on his tires is factory new.

Mendenhall is an elite RB on a run-oriented team that is the Pittsburgh Steelers, and my #1 pick. ;-D

I agree 100%.

I think in redraft leagues, you have to seriously look at Matt Forte having the most value this year out of any rookie RB. He's going to easily be the starter in Chicago.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby treat24 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:46 pm

I agree with what Kilroy had to say, thanks man... I just have to add that in the last two years Williams has been so good that he wasn't even able to get the starting job from deshaun foster, when foster got hurt, they still made deangelo split carries. That screams that deangelo is obviously a stud that can grab the bull by the horns and take over the starting role to me, right?... ok not so much... tons of sarcasm there. Prior to the draft I was looking Mendelhall, Stewart, McFadden... After the draft I did not like Mendelhall playing with Parker and Najeh there. Mostly because of Parker. I'd say he still has a ton of potential... but It's also possible he sits back for quite awhile.

I agree with the diplomats that forte might be the best redraft candidate of the bunch... might be... I disagree that he will easily be the starter. I have no faith in the Chicago run game at this point. They are like the Vikes without the same o-line or talent in the backfield. No one will be afraid of those WR or QB...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby eagles21 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:02 pm

Kilroy convinced me and there isn't much more that I can add.. I voted Stewart.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk