Who is the first pick in rookie dynasty league drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the first pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is the first pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Poll ended at Sat May 03, 2008 9:20 am

RB Darren McFadden, Oakland Raiders
49%
RB Rashard Mendenhall, Pittsburgh Steelers
21%
RB Jonathan Stewart, Carolina Panthers
23%
RB Felix Jones, Dallas Cowboys
2%
QB Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons
2%
Other (PLEASE DISCUSS!)
2%

Total votes : 47

Re: Who is the first pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:05 pm

McFadden was the consensus #1 before the draft and he went to the best situation of the bunch, so this one should be pretty obvious as to who will go first in most FF drafts (of course individual opinions will vary). Before anyone jumps down my throat on the "best situation part", not only is he the only one without any real competition for the job, but Oakland also had the worst RB of the bunch last year (Fargas vs. Foster/Williams vs. Parker) yet averaged the highest YPC of the group.

People are also overestimating how easy it is going to be for Stewart to grab the starting gig as John Fox is loyal to his current players almost to a fault. Some will say "Williams had his chance but just wasn't productive, so of course they're going to give their 1st round rookie pick a shot", but you could've said the E-X-A-C-T same thing a few years ago when Williams was drafted. Foster was underperforming, they used a 1st round pick on DeAngelo, and DeAngelo outperformed Foster when they were both on the field, yet Foster still always got his. And keep in mind that Foster was a lot less productive when DeAngelo was drafted than DeAngelo was when Stewart was drafted (DeAngelo averaged 5.0ypc last year).

Anyhow, personally on talent alone I had Mendenhall #1 in this draft so that's the guy I would be targeting. I hate that he landed in Pittsburgh as I'm just utterly sick of RBBC and was praying he was going to end up in Houston (I would've given a hefty price to move into position to draft him were that to happen), but talent over situation in dynasty.

That said, with 1.01 I would undoubtedly be looking to move down a spot to grab Mendenhall as most had McFadden ahead of the other guys already, and the draft only put him further ahead. Mendenhall and Stewart's value took a fairly big hit after the draft, as almost everyone was expecting them to land in Detroit and Houston.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BlueBandit24 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:19 pm

Mendenhall is my choice. No matter the personnel in Pittsburgh the Steelers have always been able to run the football and Mendenhall seems like a perfect fit for a smashmouth organization like Pittsburgh. Parker being there is obviously a concern and he is still going to play a large role, but I think Mendnehall's style jives more with what Pittsburgh wants to do. I see Parker as a good but not great back and believe Mendenhall's talent is superior which will eventually result in him taking a majority of the carries. He may not give you the most immediate returns but in the long-term he is the guy I would want on my team.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:28 pm

Mcfadden due to the hype.

I would rather draft 2nd or 3rd and grab Mendenhall or Stewart personally.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Kilroy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:39 pm

Well, it looks like so far McFadden is leading this "race", but there have been compelling arguments made for all three backs. Good stuff. ;-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby killiansjmd » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:14 pm

I think Felix Jones is going to have a big year in that offense. Barber is going to get a bulk of the carries each game but I see Felix coming in and having the same impact that Jones-Drew had in Jacksonsville. Barber will wear down the defense and Jones with sis speed will bust some long TD runs.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Humpback » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:21 pm

I think it's important to remember that starting right away doesn't always equal success (in a dynasty). Guys like Julius Jones, Kevin Jones, Tatum Bell, etc. all were drafted as starters, and haven't done much since. Meanwhile, guys like SJax, Addai, AP, etc. were all either back-ups or in a RBBC, and are all top 5 FF picks right now.

After thinking about it for a while, I actually prefer Mendenhall in Pitt over a place like Detroit. True, he may not get a chance to start right away, but I think that when he does, he'll have much better production. I think Houston would've been the best combo of right now and long term for him, but oh, well.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:59 pm

Did you guys know McFadden isn't only better than AD, but he is the best some NFL scouts have evaluated 8-o

By the way, its Matt Ryan. He was picked the highest and look at him, he looks just as dumb as the Manning's, he has to be good
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:09 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Did you guys know McFadden isn't only better than AD, but he is the best some NFL scouts have evaluated 8-o

By the way, its Matt Ryan. He was picked the highest and look at him, he looks just as dumb as the Manning's, he has to be good

Quiet you. There's no Malcolm Kelly option in this poll. :-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:14 pm

Kilroy wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Did you guys know McFadden isn't only better than AD, but he is the best some NFL scouts have evaluated 8-o

Quiet you. There's no Malcolm Kelly option in this poll. :-D

Who is he :-?

Matt Ryan, now there is a football player ;-D He is going to be Peyton Manning B-)
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:43 pm

Is it just me or does Matt Ryan resemble Ryan Leaf a little. 8-o
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk