Who is the first pick in rookie dynasty league drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the first pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is the first pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Poll ended at Sat May 03, 2008 9:20 am

RB Darren McFadden, Oakland Raiders
49%
RB Rashard Mendenhall, Pittsburgh Steelers
21%
RB Jonathan Stewart, Carolina Panthers
23%
RB Felix Jones, Dallas Cowboys
2%
QB Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons
2%
Other (PLEASE DISCUSS!)
2%

Total votes : 47

Re: Who is the first pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:48 pm

Matt Ryan does have the Billboard-like forehead that Peyton has....must be a good omen.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:52 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:Mendenhall is my choice. No matter the personnel in Pittsburgh the Steelers have always been able to run the football and Mendenhall seems like a perfect fit for a smashmouth organization like Pittsburgh. Parker being there is obviously a concern and he is still going to play a large role, but I think Mendnehall's style jives more with what Pittsburgh wants to do. I see Parker as a good but not great back and believe Mendenhall's talent is superior which will eventually result in him taking a majority of the carries. He may not give you the most immediate returns but in the long-term he is the guy I would want on my team.

I agree on Mendenhall because I think he's the most talented of the bunch, but I'm not following your reasoning here. What about the current administration makes you think Pitt wants to be a smashmouth football team? By contrast, the current administration seems to be going in the complete opposite direction, as they've moved more towards the passing game.

Just because the team is in Pitt does not mean that everyone that comes in is going to want to do the same thing, and I don't think that's necessarily the direction Tomlin is taking them. They threw for 34 touchdowns last year...

Humpback wrote:I think it's important to remember that starting right away doesn't always equal success (in a dynasty). Guys like Julius Jones, Kevin Jones, Tatum Bell, etc. all were drafted as starters, and haven't done much since. Meanwhile, guys like SJax, Addai, AP, etc. were all either back-ups or in a RBBC, and are all top 5 FF picks right now.

After thinking about it for a while, I actually prefer Mendenhall in Pitt over a place like Detroit. True, he may not get a chance to start right away, but I think that when he does, he'll have much better production. I think Houston would've been the best combo of right now and long term for him, but oh, well.

You're doing a bit of cherry picking here, and the names you listed have more to do with pure talent than starting or not starting immediately. Guys like JJ, KJ, and Bell had their value almost soley because they were starting. None were nearly the prospect McFadden was, who likely would've been the #1 pick in most drafts no matter where he ended up. Guys like JJ and Bell would've been picked outside the top 6 or 7 if they were drafted into bad spots, McFadden would have been #1 either way. Landing in a good spot is just a bonus for McFadden as far as most people are concerned. RB isn't like QB...the guys don't need to sit back and learn from the bench.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mikus » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:55 pm

I voted for McFadden because the title of this post is "Who is the first pick ..." and that would be McFadden. Hype alone will make him the most coveted player in a dynasty drafts across the board..

But "Who should be the first pick?" That would be Mendenhall.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby BlueBandit24 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:10 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:Mendenhall is my choice. No matter the personnel in Pittsburgh the Steelers have always been able to run the football and Mendenhall seems like a perfect fit for a smashmouth organization like Pittsburgh. Parker being there is obviously a concern and he is still going to play a large role, but I think Mendnehall's style jives more with what Pittsburgh wants to do. I see Parker as a good but not great back and believe Mendenhall's talent is superior which will eventually result in him taking a majority of the carries. He may not give you the most immediate returns but in the long-term he is the guy I would want on my team.

I agree on Mendenhall because I think he's the most talented of the bunch, but I'm not following your reasoning here. What about the current administration makes you think Pitt wants to be a smashmouth football team? By contrast, the current administration seems to be going in the complete opposite direction, as they've moved more towards the passing game.

Just because the team is in Pitt does not mean that everyone that comes in is going to want to do the same thing, and I don't think that's necessarily the direction Tomlin is taking them. They threw for 34 touchdowns last year...

Big Ben threw a lot of touchdowns but Pittsburgh still ranked 3rd in the NFL with 511 rushing attempts. By contrast, only Minnesota attempted less passes than Pittsburgh's 442. Parker was a workhorse last year, possibly overused and that tells me that Tomlin is going to make the running game his bread and butter. The one concerning factor is that the Steelers appeared to prefer the passing game in the redzone but that could stem from the fact that neither Parker nor Davenport are best suited for goal-line duty, even though both are passable in that role. If Mendenhall proves himself to have a nose for the endzone than they may rely more on the running game near the stripe. I know it is risky to bank on history repeating itself, but Pittsburgh has notoriously been a running football team and Tomlin's regime did nothing in its first year to indicate to me that that is going to change.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Humpback » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:15 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
Humpback wrote:I think it's important to remember that starting right away doesn't always equal success (in a dynasty). Guys like Julius Jones, Kevin Jones, Tatum Bell, etc. all were drafted as starters, and haven't done much since. Meanwhile, guys like SJax, Addai, AP, etc. were all either back-ups or in a RBBC, and are all top 5 FF picks right now.

After thinking about it for a while, I actually prefer Mendenhall in Pitt over a place like Detroit. True, he may not get a chance to start right away, but I think that when he does, he'll have much better production. I think Houston would've been the best combo of right now and long term for him, but oh, well.

You're doing a bit of cherry picking here, and the names you listed have more to do with pure talent than starting or not starting immediately. Guys like JJ, KJ, and Bell had their value almost soley because they were starting. None were nearly the prospect McFadden was, who likely would've been the #1 pick in most drafts no matter where he ended up. Guys like JJ and Bell would've been picked outside the top 6 or 7 if they were drafted into bad spots, McFadden would have been #1 either way. Landing in a good spot is just a bonus for McFadden as far as most people are concerned. RB isn't like QB...the guys don't need to sit back and learn from the bench.

I'm not saying those guys are as good as these, nor am I cherry picking. JJ and T. Bell went 1-2 in my keeper league draft that year, over SJax, just because they were the "starters". That's what I mean- I think Forte or Smith have a pretty good shot to outproduce Stewart or Mendenhall this year, only because they have a better chance at starting. I wouldn't select them over Stewart or Mendenhall in a dynasty however.

BTW, I voted for McFadden. My last post was just to point out that I don't think the long term values of Stewart or Mendenhall fell much because of where they ended up. It won't happen as quickly as most had hoped, but the cream usually rises to the top.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:58 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:

Big Ben threw a lot of touchdowns but Pittsburgh still ranked 3rd in the NFL with 511 rushing attempts. By contrast, only Minnesota attempted less passes than Pittsburgh's 442. Parker was a workhorse last year, possibly overused and that tells me that Tomlin is going to make the running game his bread and butter. The one concerning factor is that the Steelers appeared to prefer the passing game in the redzone but that could stem from the fact that neither Parker nor Davenport are best suited for goal-line duty, even though both are passable in that role. If Mendenhall proves himself to have a nose for the endzone than they may rely more on the running game near the stripe. I know it is risky to bank on history repeating itself, but Pittsburgh has notoriously been a running football team and Tomlin's regime did nothing in its first year to indicate to me that that is going to change.

;-D

Good stuff, I was not aware of either of those facts.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:31 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Good stuff, I was not aware of either of those facts.

Agreed. I would have expected jax to have the fewest..
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Humpback » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:41 am

I think we can wrap this one up- let's move on to #2 ;-D
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby The Lung » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:32 am

Humpback wrote:I think we can wrap this one up- let's move on to #2 ;-D

Agreed. Normally these polls will be open for 5 or 6 days at a time, but with currently 20 votes (and 13 more than the next closest challenger at 7) I think we can safely declare Darren "McDaddy" McFadden as the "Dynasty by Democracy" consensus #1 pick.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby Humpback » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:02 pm

The Lung wrote:
Humpback wrote:I think we can wrap this one up- let's move on to #2 ;-D

Agreed. Normally these polls will be open for 5 or 6 days at a time, but with currently 20 votes (and 13 more than the next closest challenger at 7) I think we can safely declare Darren "McDaddy" McFadden as the "Dynasty by Democracy" consensus #1 pick.

I think (hope ;-) ) that this round of polls will go much quicker than the last one. We just had the draft, so every one is into it now, and we obviously know where every one ended up. The first time around, so much of it depended on where they were drafted IMO (at least after the top few picks).

Nice job with these by the way, great idea ;-D .
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk