Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Poll ended at Sat May 03, 2008 9:47 am

RB Rashard Mendenhall, Pittsburgh Steelers
24
60%
RB Jonathan Stewart, Carolina Panthers
14
35%
RB Felix Jones, Dallas Cowboys
0
No votes
RB Matt Forte, Chicago Bears
2
5%
QB Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons
0
No votes
Other (PLEASE DISCUSS!)
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 40

Re: Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:59 pm

The Lung wrote:And I frankly cannot understand why there are dynasty leagues who foolishly hold rookie drafts in May. I am in four dynasty leagues, and every one of them holds their rookie draft in August.


Foolishly? That's completely your opinion, and just because you are in leagues a certain way it does not mean others are foolish that have drafts that way. Different kinds of leagues are what makes it fun. If everyone was the same, then what's the point?

Obviously a lot can change. All that can really be said is by the longer you wait, the less risk involved there is. It's certainly not foolish to have drafts in May. It makes it far more challenging. As you know, we are doing one draft right now, and it started in April...
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 22027
Joined: 3 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Has Left The Premises.

Re: Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:08 pm

My top 3 in the order I would take them

Mendenhall
Stewart
McFadden
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby Humpback » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:52 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
The Lung wrote:And I frankly cannot understand why there are dynasty leagues who foolishly hold rookie drafts in May. I am in four dynasty leagues, and every one of them holds their rookie draft in August.


Foolishly? That's completely your opinion, and just because you are in leagues a certain way it does not mean others are foolish that have drafts that way. Different kinds of leagues are what makes it fun. If everyone was the same, then what's the point?

Obviously a lot can change. All that can really be said is by the longer you wait, the less risk involved there is. It's certainly not foolish to have drafts in May. It makes it far more challenging. As you know, we are doing one draft right now, and it started in April...


Ditto. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it does make you do your homework early. There are pro's and con's to drafting early, but I wouldn't call it foolish. Besides, it's not my call anyway :-b .

It's your thread, so you can decide. I just think we've slowed down here quite a bit. Most likely, we're going to get the same 30-40 or so people voting on each poll, so when we get to the point where we're getting 1 or 2 votes per day (like now), it seems to make sense to wrap it up and move on to the next one. It's not like these are set in stone anyway, it's just an opinion, and the opinions will change later on when we have more info (and we can do the polls again for those who draft later). ;-D
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 3333
Joined: 19 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby treat24 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:35 pm

Humpback wrote:
SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
The Lung wrote:And I frankly cannot understand why there are dynasty leagues who foolishly hold rookie drafts in May. I am in four dynasty leagues, and every one of them holds their rookie draft in August.


Foolishly? That's completely your opinion, and just because you are in leagues a certain way it does not mean others are foolish that have drafts that way. Different kinds of leagues are what makes it fun. If everyone was the same, then what's the point?

Obviously a lot can change. All that can really be said is by the longer you wait, the less risk involved there is. It's certainly not foolish to have drafts in May. It makes it far more challenging. As you know, we are doing one draft right now, and it started in April...


Ditto. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it does make you do your homework early. There are pro's and con's to drafting early, but I wouldn't call it foolish. Besides, it's not my call anyway :-b


hehe, yep...

It's "foolish" in the same way that ppr leagues are "foolish." The same way that IDP leagues are "foolish." The same way that having different starting lineups are "foolish." The same way that having interesting scoring is "foolish." Have fun with your cookie cutter leagues man. :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18188
Joined: 6 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby The Lung » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:11 pm

Okay, maybe foolish was the wrong word. I apologize to anyone I might have offended with that. :-/

But I stand behind the gist of it. I get the whole "do your homework" and "parallel the NFL" for more realism thing; but where NFL teams need that time to evaluate rookies, dynasty league managers have the luxury of waiting. Additionally, nothing seems like more of a waste than when your 2nd-4th round rookie draft pick in May doesn't even make his team's roster. When if the league just waited until August to draft, that situation could have been avoided altogether.

Bottom line is that things change all the time. Major injuries happen. Players beat out others on the depth chart. Players get cut. And holding drafts right before the season starts is the best way to make the most informed decisions possible about who you draft and who you don't. And since major injuries are often based on luck, holding the draft late removes a large portion of luck from the equation.
(~);}

Image

(~);}
The Lung
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9850
(Past Year: 61)
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Disgusted with Mocha Bean

Re: Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby Axl's Army » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:25 pm

The Lung wrote:Okay, maybe foolish was the wrong word. I apologize to anyone I might have offended with that. :-/

But I stand behind the gist of it. I get the whole "do your homework" and "parallel the NFL" for more realism thing; but where NFL teams need that time to evaluate rookies, dynasty league managers have the luxury of waiting. Additionally, nothing seems like more of a waste than when your 2nd-4th round rookie draft pick in May doesn't even make his team's roster. When if the league just waited until August to draft, that situation could have been avoided altogether.

Bottom line is that things change all the time. Major injuries happen. Players beat out others on the depth chart. Players get cut. And holding drafts right before the season starts is the best way to make the most informed decisions possible about who you draft and who you don't. And since major injuries are often based on luck, holding the draft late removes a large portion of luck from the equation.


We're going to have our Rookie Draft in 2 weeks. We just are excited & are willing to decrease our informed decisions for a Fantasy Draft Fix.
Image

Yo Mama is so fat . . .
Axl's Army
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 565
Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Watching Shonn Greene Make Defenses Look Silly

Re: Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby The Lung » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:31 pm

Axl's Army wrote:We're going to have our Rookie Draft in 2 weeks. We just are excited & are willing to decrease our informed decisions for a Fantasy Draft Fix.


I can certainly understand that temptation from the excitement that the NFL Draft causes. But that's what mock drafts are for. :-b

All I was saying that by waiting to draft, it allows managers in leagues to make the most informed decisions possible. You have an entire summer of minicamps, training camps, and even some preseason games by which to evaluate rookie prospects. Who wouldn't want that benefit? Judging by the number of dynasty league rookie drafts and re-draft leagues which are observed to take place then, it seems like many others agree. But bottom line is that to each his own, and the great thing about fantasy football is that there are no forced settings or strict guidelines. No one is any worse for doing otherwise. ;-D
(~);}

Image

(~);}
The Lung
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9850
(Past Year: 61)
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Disgusted with Mocha Bean

Re: Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby ravage » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:55 pm

Lung, just out of curiousity, how does your league handle offseason free agency? Does it ever close? If it does, from when to when? Do your leagues expand the offseason roster? What are the roster sizes, inseason and offseason? Are trades allowed year round? If not, from when to when are they shut down?

Just trying to get a feel for how other leagues work.
ravage
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 360
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby Kilroy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:21 pm

The Lung wrote:
Axl's Army wrote:We're going to have our Rookie Draft in 2 weeks. We just are excited & are willing to decrease our informed decisions for a Fantasy Draft Fix.


I can certainly understand that temptation from the excitement that the NFL Draft causes. But that's what mock drafts are for. :-b

Bottom line is that to each his own, and the great thing about fantasy football is that there are no forced settings or strict guidelines.

But seeing how a vast majority of leagues draft in August, it seems most people recognize the value of informed decisions.


Well, since logistics forces us to begin our drafts in the "vast majority" of my leagues before August I reckon I and my leaguemates will just have to huddle in our cave(s) and toss rocks at cave paintings of players, all the while hoping for the best.

Buncha uninformed fools, we is. :-B

My vote for #2 is the guy that should have been #1, a pick that many folks will regret 3 years from now. Stewart.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Re: Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby The Lung » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:27 pm

ravage wrote:Lung, just out of curiousity, how does your league handle offseason free agency? Does it ever close? If it does, from when to when?


Three of the four dynasty leagues I'm in close free agency from the final week of the previous regular season until after the first week of the next season. Only one stays open year round.

ravage wrote:Do your leagues expand the offseason roster? What are the roster sizes, inseason and offseason?


Rosters sizes in the leagues I'm in vary from 17-22. They may expand after the rookie draft, but final cuts are due before the regular season starts.

ravage wrote:Are trades allowed year round? If not, from when to when are they shut down?


Trades are allowed year round until the end of November/beginning of December. They are frozen for the playoffs and then opened again once the Fantasy Superbowl (week 16) concludes.
(~);}

Image

(~);}
The Lung
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9850
(Past Year: 61)
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Disgusted with Mocha Bean

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bigdog1218, Google [Bot] and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 19:26 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact