Knee-jerk grading of 2008 draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Knee-jerk grading of 2008 draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

Knee-jerk grading of 2008 draft

Postby moochman » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:55 am

1.17 I would have rather have taken Alberts over Cherilus, but getting the extra draft pick in the 3rd round makes up for it should both players pan out. Just think Alberts has more of a chance to play well from the start, while Cherilus will have to relearn how to play RT. Grade: B.

2.14 Second round, methinks, is still a mistake fest for the Lions. Conners is a MLB who was dropping like a stone. I would have rather have taken OT Pollack 6’ 4” 299 and solidified the R side of the line for the next decade than Dizon, who looks like a system guy who doesn’t have the skill sets to play MBL and may not be anything more than a special teams guy. Not what I want in round 2. Grade: C-.

3.1 I don’t dislike taking Kev Smith here, but would rather have addressed a need at MLB. Conner would have been worth taking here. Smith does have the ability to be a big-time RB so I cannot condemn this pick. Unusual for a Lions draft pick. Grade: B.

3.24 You know it had to happen. The Lions cannot go a draft without picking someone with an injury history. 6’2” 296 DT Fluellen should step in and fill Kalimba Edwards role. Let’s hope production comes from the highly skilled Fluellen. Should we have taken Conners instead with 3.1 we could have taken Smith here or Steve Slaton should Smith have been gone. Or we could have fulfilled a need at D-line and taken Marcus Harrison, a 6’3” 310 DT taken by DaBears. Alas, we can only hope Fluellen can put injuries behind him and have a productive career. Grade: C-.

3.29 6’3” 252 OLB Cliff Avril. I like this pick. Avril was productive in the big 10 and may be able to slide into the MLB slot. However, having already taken an OLB in round 2 I would have rather they take the best O-lineman available. Grade: B.

5.1 5’11” 195 WR Kenneth Moore. Preparing for the departure of Roy? This move to me makes no sense. They have the franchise and insist they will not trade Roy, plus are committed to running the ball more. So why draft a WR? Better to have taken a reach on a position of need. OL or DL would have been the way to go. You know some of these players might hit, so why not try and improve areas of weakness? Stupit Lions move in a draft that actually looks reasonable. Grade: C-

5.11 6’0” 246 FB Jerome Felton. I guess you have to draft a FB since the schizophrenic philosophy the Lions have had stripped Coach pound the rock of any viable FBs, but there was no need to take one any sooner than round 7. Will be very disappointed if they don’t sign 6’0” 254 MSU F/A FB Jehuu Caulcrick to a deal. Grade D.

7.9 6’3” 278 DE Landon Cohen. Here is where the Lions should have reached for any WR help. They could have taken Adrian Arrington for Mich who I think has a shot to be a pro WR. Not likely to be anything more than a special teams guy. Grade: C-.

7.11 6’2” 229 S Caleb Campbell. I guess he can get out of going to Iraq to be a publicity stunt. Should have taken S help in round 5 and FB help this round. Ok then. Grade: C-.

Overall, this may be Millen’s best draft. I know that isn’t saying much, but at least they seemed to try to fill needs. Once again, though, I worry that they lack of focus allowed them to take only one O-lineman and DT. They show a shift in philosophy…. again. Which is why they suck-every year it’s a different emphasis. Last year NimRod was still insisting he could coach em up and relied on film. Led to stellar picks like 5-0, Akia Alma-Francis, who apparently needed only the brilliant coaching of NimRod. Now we see players like RB Kev Smith-Nations leading rusher, Round 2 reach OLB Dizon and his silly tackles stats, and WR Moore who led the ACC in receiving. So this year it’s not the tape, it’s the stats. Well, at least it’s not relying on how well we can coach em up.

Overall I give this draft a C+ with B potential.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Knee-jerk grading of 2008 draft

Postby dream_017 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:59 pm

Nice write-up Mooch. I haven't had the time to really look into the players yet, but my initial thoughts were a B/B- overall. I really like the idea of taking needs and the positions that they drafted worked for me...except the WR :-?

In the SI mock, they had Cherilus going at #23 to the Steelers, here is the write-up from them:
SI the mag wrote:OK it's a name that belongas o nthe back of a Steelers uniform. But, more than that, the 6'7", 315-lb Cherilus is the kind of pick the Steelers love to make - a tough, hardworking, drive-blocking offensice lineman. I love this kind of pick too.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby moochman » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:22 pm

dream_017 wrote:Nice write-up Mooch. I haven't had the time to really look into the players yet, but my initial thoughts were a B/B- overall. I really like the idea of taking needs and the positions that they drafted worked for me...except the WR :-?

In the SI mock, they had Cherilus going at #23 to the Steelers, here is the write-up from them:
SI the mag wrote:OK it's a name that belongas o nthe back of a Steelers uniform. But, more than that, the 6'7", 315-lb Cherilus is the kind of pick the Steelers love to make - a tough, hardworking, drive-blocking offensice lineman. I love this kind of pick too.

Thanks. Bear in mind that this is a knee-jerk reaction and I was feeling generous.
It really is startin to bother me that they didn't just take Alberts, though. Most pre-draft rankings had him in the first third of the draft and Cherilus the latter third, we have the choice of both and take the lesser valued. Then they don't bother taking anther OL. They better hope these guys work out or Lord Ford M might not only stand for Moron but also Fired!

What was SIs write up on Alberts?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby bigken117 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:42 pm

Here are some thoughts from the soon to be Football Prospectus...

Col. Angus (Knoxville, TN): So with about 18 hours of hindsight, which team had the worst draft? It has to be the Titans, right? Did there appear to be any rhyme or reason to what the Titans did?

Mike Tanier (Football): I am not a Chris Johnson fan. I think he's a small "moves" back without many moves. Jason Jones was a good pick. I like Craig Stevens on a team that uses lots of multi-TE looks and needs a tight end who can lead block. More help at wide receiver would be nice, but this wasn't the draft to upgrade at wide receiver. The best thing the Titans did in the last few weeks was re-sign Roos. They can stay competitive on offense if they keep those two big tackles together.

I can't say who had the worst draft. I hate most of what the Lions did, as usual, but Andre Fluellen was a good choice for them.

ipulse (mass): Kevin Smith - a chance to say something nice about the Lions? Or not?

Mike Tanier (Football): Hey yeah, let's take a kid with 900 carries. No way that can backfire. Three years from now, they'll release him the way they released Kevin Jones, after a bunch of injuries and before he gets a chance to complete his contract. Even the names sound the same.

Eddie (Midwest): As a Lions fan, is there any reason for me to think Gosder Cherilus will be anything more than a mediocre right tackle?

Mike Tanier (Football): He might be a very good right tackle. But I don't think he'll ever be a left tackle. You know, it's like every Lions move is just wrong by 10%. Few of them are out-and-out stupid, but each one seems to be off by 10%. Compound them all and it becomes one big uber-stupid move.

Mike (Lansing, MI): Why did you hate the Lions draft? What would you have done differently?

Mike Tanier (Football): I wouldn't have released both Kevin Jones and Duckett, so my RB need wouldn't be so glaring. I would have taken either Albert or DMQ.

There's a couple other Detroit shots in there too, guess the guy really does hate them...

talking about the division
and the Lions ... ok, they are bad.

talking about GB drafting QB's
That's not like the Lions and their WR fetish.
Jacoby Ellsbury - Official Red Sox prospect of the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
bigken117
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle EyeBaseball Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:31 pm

moochman wrote:What was SIs write up on Alberts?

Sorry, I was in a waiting room and had the mag next to me for the post I made. I didn't grab the article or see your post until after I left, so I don't have it, I tried to find it online but couldn't.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Mon May 12, 2008 10:44 am

OK, I was able to find the magazine again. Here is the write-up about Albert:

SI mag wrote:At 6'7", 315, he slides over to tackle, with the power and athleticism to handle the move. (Albert started 2 games there last season.) Harvey's a possibility if the Lions decide to go defense, Mendenhall if they're looking for a runner - if either is available.

Note: this is who the prejected the Lions to take.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Return to Detroit Lions