Draft Thoughts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Minnesota Vikings

Draft Thoughts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Thoughts

Postby BlueBandit24 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:57 pm

Tyrell Johnson (S-Arkansas State)

-I like the value and the skills that Johnson possesses. I was not thrilled we moved up but apparently the Vikings felt he was going to get taken which made a move up necessary. Good safeties are imperative in the Cover-2 and he provides great depth. With Sharper getting older and in the last year of his contract, Johnson is likely being groomed to replace him, and with Madieu Williams having a history of injury he could see ample time this year. I think he fits well and bolsters an already impressive defense.

John David Booty (QB-USC)

-I love this pick. Booty has played in the West Coast system for 5 years at USC and his presence should signal the end of Brooks Bollinger's tenure. I don't think he has star potential but he could be a solid and steady QB and if T-Jax struggles this year he could be the favorite to start in 2009.

Letroy Guion (DT-Florida State)

-Mixed bag of opinions on this kid. Has talent but character concerns, he was one of the 36 Florida State players suspended in the academic scandal. Seems like a boom or bust type pick and we could use depth on the D-Line behind the Williams boys with only Evans and Wyms currently backups.

John Sullivan (C-Notre Dame)

-Solid selection. Guy's stock plummeted after a miserable season for Notre Dame but he was a top center in 2006. Could end up replacing Birk and should provide depth along the offensive line.

Jaymar Johnson (WR-Jackson State)

-Raw talent who will need plenty of time to develop, but I am not sure where he fits in with Berrian, Wade, Rice, Ferguson, and Allison all appearing to have roster spots locked down. Might not stick with the team but it is not like there were great options that late anyway.

Overall, I am pretty content. Hard to judge with such a dearth of selections but I think Johnson and Booty could become solid players for this organization.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Draft Thoughts

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:26 pm

Tyrell Johnson (S-Arkansas State)

I'm not as big of a fan of this pick as many others appear to be. I feel as though Sharper can be our starter for about 3 more seasons. And, if not, we can address this with our first pick next year or through free agency. I'm sure the kid is great (and Kiper sure liked him), but I'd rather we'd have drafted O-Line.

John David Booty (QB-USC)

Meh. Again, I wanted us to take a developmental QB, but everything I've seen, heard, and read makes me feel comfortable with this pick. It's just another case of I'd rather we'd have drafted a different position here and taken a QB in the 7th instead of a WR.

Letroy Guion (DT-Florida State)

Favorite pick of the draft. HIs risk/high reward, but with him sitting behind the Williams Wall we'll have plenty of time to analyze, develop, and see where his potential takes him.

John Sullivan (C-Notre Dame)

Another solid selection, all things considered. As I said earlier, I would have rather we addressed this with our 2nd round pick, but Sullivan is a smart player and should be able to stick with the Vikes if as nothing more than Cook's backup next season.

Jaymar Johnson (WR-Jackson State)

Return man, project WR, practice squad bodies. I'm always a fan of taking WRs late. Colston, anyone?
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Draft Thoughts

Postby BlueBandit24 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:23 am

FWIW, Draftguys are pretty high on Jaymar Johnson.

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/draftg ... oplay=true
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Minnesota Vikings