Running Backs in Fantasy Football Today - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Running Backs in Fantasy Football Today

Moderator: Football Moderators

Running Backs in Fantasy Football Today

Postby Guru13 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:23 pm

In recent years we've seen a large emergence of the rbbc on many teams and it has hurt the value of many running backs. In this year's draft it seems the trend has continued. With Dallas taking Felix Jones and Tashard Choice, Pittsburgh taking Rashard Mendenhall, Baltimore took Ray Rice (may not make an immediate impact, but he's definitely got some talent and could take some carries), the Panthers take Jonathon Stewart to split with Deangelo Williams perhaps, The bears picked up Matt Forte in the second round, but I'm sure we all somewhat expected that to be a mess as it was. The Chiefs took Jamaal Charles in the 3rd, not that I expect him to take many if any carries from LJ, but you never know, things happen. Oakland's sure to be a bit of a mess, McFadden may get the opportunity to take the job outright, but there are a lot of running backs with talent there. The Titans took Chris Johnson with there first pick, possibly taking some value from Lendale White. Plus there were a few teams with RBs taken a bit later that could potentially compete (Arizona, Miami).

ANYHOW, what I'm getting at as I'm sure you can tell is that there could be a lot of rbbc's this year and if not this year than soon down the road. The question being what kind of effect does that have on the value of a rb and how are y'all gonna draft around that this year and in years to come. I know this question has been thrown around a lot, just thought I'd bring it up more formally and see what you guys had to say.
Image
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9206
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Running Backs in Fantasy Football Today

Postby m16a » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:29 pm

I think we all have to face it, the NFL is becoming a passing league. Not a lot of smashmouth run it down your throat pound it 30+ times a game teams left. The RB is no longer a hulking guy who runs straight forward and bashes defenders, he's gotta catch, be versatile.. With offenses becoming more pass oriented, teams no longer relying on a single back to do it all and carry them and instead have multiple, and WR's starting to emerge like crazy, I think the number of people who go RB/WR/WR or RB/WR/RB will be a lot higher than the usual of past years of RB/RB/WR. I will most likely put a little more stock in my WRs because now they and the QB can produce a lot more than previous years. my .02 ;-D
Image
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5361
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere in PA

Re: Running Backs in Fantasy Football Today

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 pm

I think it means you HAVE to get your second RB by the 4th round, maybe the 5th, of most leagues because any other RBs available after that are not going to be people you want to start on a weekly basis. It will also affect how you want to set up your backup RBs: do you want to spend an earlier pick for a solid starter on your bench, or wait more rounds and have two to three RBs who could potentially do a lot in the year but not be legitimate weekly starters?
Image

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5309
Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Beantown, Taxachusetts

Re: Running Backs in Fantasy Football Today

Postby treat24 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:21 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:I know this question has been thrown around a lot, just thought I'd bring it up more formally and see what you guys had to say.


LOL... how is it more formally than last year when nearly this same exact thread existed? :-) no biggie, just loved that last line :-)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18188
Joined: 6 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: Running Backs in Fantasy Football Today

Postby Cleokatrah » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:04 am

JasonSeahorn wrote:I think it means you HAVE to get your second RB by the 4th round, maybe the 5th, of most leagues because any other RBs available after that are not going to be people you want to start on a weekly basis. It will also affect how you want to set up your backup RBs: do you want to spend an earlier pick for a solid starter on your bench, or wait more rounds and have two to three RBs who could potentially do a lot in the year but not be legitimate weekly starters?

If you get three solid starters on your bench in a standard ten team league, I'd flat out be amazed. The crop of guaranteed starters this year is thinner than last year. I don't think this means you move the necessity of RBs up in your draft priorities, but that you pay closer attention to your tiers. I am sure not drafting an RB with a 60% starting rate over a WR or QB that is money in the bank. How many productive RBs were taken from the waiver wire last year? This year, that number may be even greater. I personally plan on taking the best valued player that comes to me, rather than focus on position.
Image
Cleokatrah
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 616
Joined: 18 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Central California

Re: Running Backs in Fantasy Football Today

Postby Guru13 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:06 am

treat24 wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:I know this question has been thrown around a lot, just thought I'd bring it up more formally and see what you guys had to say.


LOL... how is it more formally than last year when nearly this same exact thread existed? :-) no biggie, just loved that last line :-)

I'm a deedadee I probably missed it last year, I do spend some time in Leftovers, but not all that much, especially here as of late. :-B my bad.
Image
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9206
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Running Backs in Fantasy Football Today

Postby treat24 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:17 am

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
treat24 wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:I know this question has been thrown around a lot, just thought I'd bring it up more formally and see what you guys had to say.


LOL... how is it more formally than last year when nearly this same exact thread existed? :-) no biggie, just loved that last line :-)

I'm a deedadee I probably missed it last year, I do spend some time in Leftovers, but not all that much, especially here as of late. :-B my bad.


Heck no bud! It's a new year, situations are different... and IMO, there are more this year than last. I say IMO... because last year we actually did research on it and the number was much smaller than we had thought. This year, it SEEMS like there are more... but I haven't looked...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18188
Joined: 6 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: Running Backs in Fantasy Football Today

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:07 pm

Below are the fantasy points for RB's and WR's since 2004. The numbers are for the:
*best fantasy points* - *10th best* - *20th best* Then below that are the differentials for each spot

2007
RB's: 303 - 185 - 155
WR's: 287 - 175 - 139
Diff: 16 - 10 - 16

2006
RB's: 418 - 190 - 174
WR's: 209 - 162 - 141
Diff: 209 - 28 - 33

2005
RB's: 364 - 201 - 160
WR's: 228 - 164 - 137
Diff: 136 - 37 - 23

2004
RB's: 307 - 205 - 175
WR's: 237 - 175 - 154
Diff: 70 - 30 - 21


Randy Moss was an unusual top WR last season and it was a down year for the top RB's. However, the difference between WR's and RB's is getting smaller and smaller. I think its about time we start tempering our expectations from RB's because the fact of the matter is that they just aren't as important right now as they were in year's past. I do think that we will see it swing back the other direction though. I don't expect it to continue this trend for forever.
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Re: Running Backs in Fantasy Football Today

Postby dream_017 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:09 pm

treat24 wrote:... because last year we actually did research on it and the number was much smaller than we had thought. This year, it SEEMS like there are more... but I haven't looked...

This is the exact thing I was thinking about when reading the OP. But, like you it does seem like more this year, but we will have to wait it out and see how teams depth charts start to look. I haven't looked into it much yet, but it will be one of the things I will look at.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15316
(Past Year: 70)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Running Backs in Fantasy Football Today

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:22 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:Below are the fantasy points for RB's and WR's since 2004. The numbers are for the:
*best fantasy points* - *10th best* - *20th best* Then below that are the differentials for each spot

2007
RB's: 303 - 185 - 155
WR's: 287 - 175 - 139
Diff: 16 - 10 - 16

2006
RB's: 418 - 190 - 174
WR's: 209 - 162 - 141
Diff: 209 - 28 - 33

2005
RB's: 364 - 201 - 160
WR's: 228 - 164 - 137
Diff: 136 - 37 - 23

2004
RB's: 307 - 205 - 175
WR's: 237 - 175 - 154
Diff: 70 - 30 - 21


Randy Moss was an unusual top WR last season and it was a down year for the top RB's. However, the difference between WR's and RB's is getting smaller and smaller. I think its about time we start tempering our expectations from RB's because the fact of the matter is that they just aren't as important right now as they were in year's past. I do think that we will see it swing back the other direction though. I don't expect it to continue this trend for forever.


That doesn't look at all like "getting smaller and smaller" to me.

That looks more like "getting bigger and bigger except for one outlier".

Last year was probably the best fantasy WR year of our lifetime. Not sure we'll see another year like that for a long time.
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bigdog1218 and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 19:18 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact