Running Backs in Fantasy Football Today - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Running Backs in Fantasy Football Today

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Running Backs in Fantasy Football Today

Postby Felix the Cat » Thu May 01, 2008 10:34 am

JasonSeahorn wrote:Despite what you and Joel say, I see this meaning that stud RBs are more valuable. Since there are more high scoring wides, that means they aren't as valuable as far as positional scarcity, so a team should make sure to secure 2 good starting RBs. It's the same argument as Antonio Gates in years past being drafted a few to several rounds earlier than other TEs.

True, stud RBs are more valuable - just like stud WRs and QBs are more valuable. Stud RBs are still more valuable than stud WRs and QBs.

However, I see the RB position as moving away from the "must have", toward more balance with the other positions. RB is becoming more like WR and QB - the studs go very early, and the rest go later.

LT should rightly go rounds ahead of, say, Chester Taylor - just as Peyton Manning should rightly go rounds ahead of Matt Hasselbeck, and Randy Moss should rightly go rounds ahead of Hines Ward, and Antonio Gates should rightly go rounds ahead of Eric Johnson. However, I don't see it as being necessarily true that a mid-grade RB should go ahead of a high-grade WR or QB, as has been the case in years past. Past the first half of the first round, I believe that it will become more common to see a mix of RB/WR/QB, and less common to see like 60% RB 40% everyone else. I think in a couple of years - heck, maybe next season - we'll be laughing smugly when some less-than-capable manager goes RB-RB-RB.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk