Return to Football Talk

Jets grab free agent RB

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jets grab free agent RB

Postby stomperrob » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:19 pm

Great numbers for a Division II player:

Jets sign NCAA career rushing leader Woodhead
Associated Press

OMAHA, Neb. -- Chadron State running back Danny Woodhead, the NCAA's career rushing leader, signed a free-agent deal with the New York Jets on Sunday night, according to his agent.

Chris Gittings said he and Woodhead thought the Jets were a good fit after teams passed on the 5-foot-7½ running back during the draft, mostly because of his size.

Woodhead ran for 7,962 yards in four seasons for Division II Chadron State in western Nebraska

con't...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jets grab free agent RB

Postby knapplc » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:48 am

He's raised a lot of eyebrows here in Nebraska. Yes, he played Div. II, and yes, the competition in the NFL is going to be 100 times greater, but I think the kid can find a roster spot somewhere as a kickoff returner and maybe a third-string RB. He has crazy moves and he's strong as an ox, but that leap from Div. II to the NFL is pretty steep. I'm excited to see if he can make the transition.

Woodhead came out of high school right about the time Nebraska fired Frank Solich (2004). He didn't get a look by the Bill Callahan coaching staff, and since Callahan killed Nebraska's walk-on program there was no chance of him coming to NU, so he stayed close to home at Chadron State. He holds all kinds of crazy rushing titles... but again, it's Div. II. Many, many people here in Lincoln wanted to see the kid get a chance to play here, but it's one of those "might have been" things. Too bad.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby gersh71 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:03 am

The Jets also signed a kid out of Mich. St. named Jehuu Caulcrick. He is from the Buffalo area, and is a beast. Thick legs and has a nose for the goal line. I hope he makes the team. Keep your eyes on him Jets fans.
When nobody has your back, you gotta MOVE your back.
gersh71
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Guru13 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:25 am

Holy smokes, that's pert near 2000 yards a season, wow, I mean I realize it's DII and all, but man that's impressive.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:43 pm

knapplc wrote:He's raised a lot of eyebrows here in Nebraska. Yes, he played Div. II, and yes, the competition in the NFL is going to be 100 times greater, but I think the kid can find a roster spot somewhere as a kickoff returner and maybe a third-string RB. He has crazy moves and he's strong as an ox, but that leap from Div. II to the NFL is pretty steep. I'm excited to see if he can make the transition.

Woodhead came out of high school right about the time Nebraska fired Frank Solich (2004). He didn't get a look by the Bill Callahan coaching staff, and since Callahan killed Nebraska's walk-on program there was no chance of him coming to NU, so he stayed close to home at Chadron State. He holds all kinds of crazy rushing titles... but again, it's Div. II. Many, many people here in Lincoln wanted to see the kid get a chance to play here, but it's one of those "might have been" things. Too bad.

For his sake, its a good thing he didnt end up at NU. Cally never wouldnt given him a "fair" shot and he'd currently be known to NFL scouts as "Danny Who?".
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:25 pm

Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Jesse Chatman and now this guy?

I liked Washington as a bench RB with lots of potential but I am getting a bit leery of him now...

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:01 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Jesse Chatman and now this guy?

I liked Washington as a bench RB with lots of potential but I am getting a bit leery of him now...

Poor bastards. They were a mere two slots away from getting Darren McFadden too. C'mon Jets' GM, would it have killed you to give up a 2nd round pick to move up and get "Run DMC?"
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby skibrett15 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:35 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Jesse Chatman and now this guy?

this guy is nothing more than a camp body. Start talking about him if he makes the 53 man roster.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 01, 2008 1:47 pm

Apparently the Jets love this guy so much they were on the phone to him before the draft was over...

They were so eager to sign him that they called during the seventh round.

...In 2006, he rushed for 2,756 yards

...he amassed 19 200-yard games

...he averaged 181 yards per game

...he scored 109 touchdowns

...he participated in the Nebraska Pro Day, where he upstaged some of the Cornhuskers' prospects. He blazed the 40 in 4.38

..."He makes everybody else look like their feet are in cement," Brandt said of Woodhead's darting, low-to-the-ground running style

more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... d_can.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu May 01, 2008 5:56 pm

Soooooooo why didn't they draft him?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk