Playoffs not in BCS immediate plans - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Playoffs not in BCS immediate plans

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Playoffs not in BCS immediate plans

Postby knapplc » Thu May 01, 2008 12:21 pm

Ditto that. ^^^ :-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HskrPwr13 » Thu May 01, 2008 1:35 pm

Metroid wrote:For the record I, like most of you, am in favor of some sort of playoff system. That said....we can gripe about the Rose Bowl and it's "tradition" and we can whine and b!tch until we're blue in the face that we want some sort of playoff system, but unless we're all prepared to stop being enablers for the BCS and stop watching/attending college football games we should all stop complaining. We are fully supporting the people who can make the changes we want but don't, by continuing year after year to keep college football ratings through the roof and continuing to line their pockets. Really whats their motivation? Again I'm as guilty as anyone, I love my Ducks and all college football too much to stop watching, but sadly thats the only thing that will provoke change...abysmal rating and empty stadiums. :-?

Any of you ready to go cold turkey on college football? :-b

Absolutely not! I wonder is it that you (collectively) dont like the BCS or just dont like the fact that there's no playoff (which has been the case for over 100 years now and only until the last few years has there been all this angst for a playoff)? I think the BCS, or more specifcally, the #1 v. #2 matchup is waaay better than what we had before, when there was virtually no chance of that happening.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Thu May 01, 2008 2:07 pm

I seem to recall back in the early 80s (when I really started paying attention to college football as a whole) that there were discussions about such-and-such team being undeserving of being in the national title game, so really this discussion isn't new to the BCS era. In fact, the BCS was created because the angst over the "wrong team" being in the title game was reaching a crescendo, and the brainiacs involved came up with this master plan to solve all of our problems.

And I would say that the fact that the system has been broken for over 100 years is a better argument for fixing it than for leaving it broken.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 01, 2008 2:13 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:Now, I have been the biggest hater of the Big 10/Pac 10 Rose Bowl tradition BS ever until this week. I still hate that stupid tradition nonsense but here's what happened at the meeting. They voted on a four team playoff and EVERY commissioner, except one (ACC), voted AGAINST the proposal. Their reasons? Too long of a season, potential trouble with finals and school (It's an NCAA rule that teams can't play out of conference games during finals week), and the potential that it's a slippery slope and a 4-team playoff will just lead to an 8 or 16-team playoff.

We can bash the Big 10 and Pac 10 all we want but it's all of the commissioners (and the Notre Dame AD was in attendance as well) who are to blame for this not coming about. The next time they will meet to discuss potentials for a playoff seriously again will be 2014. So it looks like we're going to have to live with the BCS, Rose Bowl tradition, and people griping for years to come.

Edit: My post above was inaccurate. SEC Commissioner Mike Slive was also in favor of and voted in favor of a playoff. Another interesting note, the WAC Commissioner (representing a bunch of mid-major conferences) voted against the playoff. The system needs unanimous voting for it to pass.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I don't follow college basketball at all, but is the commisioners' argument not specious at best, if not a downright lie??? My understanding is that the basketball players miss way more time at school and even with a football playoff this would still in fact be the case, and that the playoffs could be worked around finals?
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Metroid » Thu May 01, 2008 3:03 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
Metroid wrote:For the record I, like most of you, am in favor of some sort of playoff system. That said....we can gripe about the Rose Bowl and it's "tradition" and we can whine and b!tch until we're blue in the face that we want some sort of playoff system, but unless we're all prepared to stop being enablers for the BCS and stop watching/attending college football games we should all stop complaining. We are fully supporting the people who can make the changes we want but don't, by continuing year after year to keep college football ratings through the roof and continuing to line their pockets. Really whats their motivation? Again I'm as guilty as anyone, I love my Ducks and all college football too much to stop watching, but sadly thats the only thing that will provoke change...abysmal rating and empty stadiums. :-?

Absolutely not! I wonder is it that you (collectively) dont like the BCS or just dont like the fact that there's no playoff (which has been the case for over 100 years now and only until the last few years has there been all this angst for a playoff)? I think the BCS, or more specifcally, the #1 v. #2 matchup is waaay better than what we had before, when there was virtually no chance of that happening.

Just because it's better than what we had before doesn't make it good enough.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu May 01, 2008 4:32 pm

stomperrob wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:Now, I have been the biggest hater of the Big 10/Pac 10 Rose Bowl tradition BS ever until this week. I still hate that stupid tradition nonsense but here's what happened at the meeting. They voted on a four team playoff and EVERY commissioner, except one (ACC), voted AGAINST the proposal. Their reasons? Too long of a season, potential trouble with finals and school (It's an NCAA rule that teams can't play out of conference games during finals week), and the potential that it's a slippery slope and a 4-team playoff will just lead to an 8 or 16-team playoff.

We can bash the Big 10 and Pac 10 all we want but it's all of the commissioners (and the Notre Dame AD was in attendance as well) who are to blame for this not coming about. The next time they will meet to discuss potentials for a playoff seriously again will be 2014. So it looks like we're going to have to live with the BCS, Rose Bowl tradition, and people griping for years to come.

Edit: My post above was inaccurate. SEC Commissioner Mike Slive was also in favor of and voted in favor of a playoff. Another interesting note, the WAC Commissioner (representing a bunch of mid-major conferences) voted against the playoff. The system needs unanimous voting for it to pass.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I don't follow college basketball at all, but is the commisioners' argument not specious at best, if not a downright lie??? My understanding is that the basketball players miss way more time at school and even with a football playoff this would still in fact be the case, and that the playoffs could be worked around finals?

You are correct
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 01, 2008 9:49 pm

Posted on: May 1, 2008 1:00 pm
Edited on: May 1, 2008 2:50 pm
by Dennis Dodd
The real story behind the BCS meetings

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany's calculated plan worked.

Tuesday at lunch, Delany emerged from the BCS meetings and went on a rant about his place (and his conference's place) in the postseason. Remember, Delany doesn't talk publicly about much of anything with reporters. At least lately. This past week he has been practically chatty talking about his league's perception. He, the Big Ten, Pac-10 and Rose Bowl aren't obstructionists, he said, in college football's postseason. In fact, Delany contended, that the Big Ten and Pac-10 have been progressive in helping deliver the Rose Bowl to the BCS. Without it we'd still in the old Bowl Coalition.

"The characterization of the Big Ten and Pac-10 being at one place and everyone else being at the other place, I don't think that's accurate," Delany said. "You guys (media) have an opportunity to talk to a lot of people here. I would ask you to ask each one of those people how strongly they feel about the call for change. I don't see it."

Then Delany lobbed the bomb that changed the course of these meetings.

"Thirty-six months ago, all six commissioners, all six (BCS oversight committee) presidents, the AD advisory committee said we don't want a plus one," Delany said. "About 18 months ago, people people said let's look at it. I think there are a lot of people who like where they are, but they should speak for themselves."

Basically, Delany called out his peers.

If you want a plus-one, identify yourself.

On Wednesday, they did. The six BCS bosses were paraded out for the media to state their case. For: ACC commissioner and the SEC's Mike Slive. Against: Everyone else -- Big 12, Big East, Pac-10, Big Ten and Notre Dame AD Kevin White.

Considering the group needs a consensus to change things, there's a loooooonnnng way to go before we get a playoff. The Big 12 presidents considered the issue in March and turned it down flat. Big East commish Mike Tranghese said, "We're opposed to a playoff. We don't think a playoff is in the best interests of college football."

The great thing was hearing all these powerful public. None of us (media) thought a plus-one would be passed but we weren't expecting what was essentially a public vote. Now these guys are on record. If you want to write your local congressman, er, commissioner now you know where to go.

con't...

more: http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/view/6270202

...and 2 additional Bowlgames this season:

NCAA committee approves 34 bowl games
April 30, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA has approved applications for 34 football bowl games for 2008, including 32 existing bowls and two new games in Washington, D.C., and St. Petersburg, Fla.

The NCAA Postseason Football Licensing Subcommittee on Wednesday also turned down a request for a proposed Rocky Mountain Bowl in Salt Lake City.

The new bowl games for next season will be the Congressional Bowl in the nation's capital and the St. Petersburg Bowl.

con't...

more: http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootba ... y/10806774
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:09 pm

Metroid wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:

Just because it's better than what we had before doesn't make it good enough.

Your's and knapp's point is well received. I guess I feel like adding a plus one is, at best, only slightly better than what we have now. And there would be seasons, just like now, that will absolutely blow up in our faces becasue the truly best/deserving team gets ousted in a game they never should've had to play (much like confernce championship games). And adding a playoff pool, that uses the same tools to determine its participants, that are used currently to determine the national championship game leads us down the same path we have now. That goes down the same path of the quote that says madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting differnt results.

If the whole system isnt over-hauled: balanced scheds, conference allignments, etc, then we've got the same arguments, but with one or two more intersting/exciting games thrown in.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Metroid » Fri May 02, 2008 12:29 pm

I hear ya on that, the system does need a complete overhaul, but we all know that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. One small tweak that could have been done right now to at least pacify the majority of college football fans is simply adding a plus one. Would it fix the system? Not in the least but it would be a step in the right direction....a baby step. Like I've said before though the BCS does not care about the fans at all, all they care about is the green coming out of their pockets. And until fans have finally had enough of these farce national champions and stop feeding the machine things will never change.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri May 02, 2008 1:54 pm

Metroid wrote:I hear ya on that, the system does need a complete overhaul, but we all know that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. One small tweak that could have been done right now to at least pacify the majority of college football fans is simply adding a plus one. Would it fix the system? Not in the least but it would be a step in the right direction....a baby step. Like I've said before though the BCS does not care about the fans at all, all they care about is the green coming out of their pockets. And until fans have finally had enough of these farce national champions and stop feeding the machine things will never change.

Youre right. As long as the money keeps pouring in, there's no reason to fix something, that from their perspective, isnt broken. I just think a plus-one would bastardize the system/championship even moreso than current. A plus-one would've done nothing to stop the griping last year:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... index.html
..........The Big East held no formal vote, but its commissioner, Mike Tranghese, echoed the same sentiments. "The seeded model that's been discussed looked like a playoff to us, and we don't think a playoff is in the best interest of college football," he said.

Interestingly, last season's extraordinarily chaotic finish -- one that many felt might push the BCS over the edge toward change -- may actually have had the opposite effect. As Tranghese noted, a "Final Four" of No. 1 Ohio State, No. 2 LSU, No. 3 Virginia Tech and No. 4 Oklahoma would have been no more satisfying than the current system to those who felt Georgia or USC were more deserving.

"We would have exchanged one piece of controversy for the other," he said..........
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to College Football