Playoffs not in BCS immediate plans - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Playoffs not in BCS immediate plans

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Playoffs not in BCS immediate plans

Postby Free Bagel » Fri May 02, 2008 9:08 pm

Yeah, sometimes it wouldn't help. But sometimes it would. It's certainly not going to be worse, so if it helps once ever 2 or 3 years, why they hell would people be against that just because that other year is the same as it was before?

It's the same thing with people saying the BCS is better than what we had. It doesn't work every year, but sometimes it works perfectly. Better than before where the system NEVER worked.

Besides, it's one step closer to an 8-team playoff, which WOULD pretty much solve everything. Once you fall down to being seen as the 9th best team or worse, you've done enough bad that you don't really have an argument to be considered as the best in the nation.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Fri May 02, 2008 9:11 pm

Metroid wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:No. They were not forced to take Illinois. Illinois was not the auto bid (OSU was the winner and got the auto bid) and they still took them as an at large.

Your right, OSU won the Big 10 but they went to the National Championship, the Rose Bowl gives the "auto bid" to the champions of both conferences unless one of them goes to the National Championship. If that happens the "auto bid" goes to the second place finisher in their respective conference. It's not really an "at large" pick, Illinois was the 2nd place finishing team in the Big 10.

I believe Deeray has it right Metroid. If the auto-bid goes to the NC game the bowl just gets moved up to the 1st pick amongst the at large teams, they are in no way forced to pick the #2 team from the conference that would have had an auto-bid.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Metroid » Sat May 03, 2008 10:51 am

Free Bagel wrote:
Metroid wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:No. They were not forced to take Illinois. Illinois was not the auto bid (OSU was the winner and got the auto bid) and they still took them as an at large.

Your right, OSU won the Big 10 but they went to the National Championship, the Rose Bowl gives the "auto bid" to the champions of both conferences unless one of them goes to the National Championship. If that happens the "auto bid" goes to the second place finisher in their respective conference. It's not really an "at large" pick, Illinois was the 2nd place finishing team in the Big 10.

I believe Deeray has it right Metroid. If the auto-bid goes to the NC game the bowl just gets moved up to the 1st pick amongst the at large teams, they are in no way forced to pick the #2 team from the conference that would have had an auto-bid.

Really? I always thought it went to the 2nd place finisher. :-?

Consider me enlightened...you learn something new everyday, thanks Bagel. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby ShoelessJoe » Sat May 03, 2008 7:06 pm

Metroid wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:I believe Deeray has it right Metroid. If the auto-bid goes to the NC game the bowl just gets moved up to the 1st pick amongst the at large teams, they are in no way forced to pick the #2 team from the conference that would have had an auto-bid.

Really? I always thought it went to the 2nd place finisher. :-?

Consider me enlightened...you learn something new everyday, thanks Bagel. ;-D

Bagel/Deeray are right. However, make note of exactly what Bagel said. They can choose an "at large team", not any team. There are certain rules for qualifying for a BCS game (the basic two are that a team must be in the top 14 of the final BCS standings and must win at least 9 regular season games, although there are some exceptions and disqualifying stuff that is pretty intense and I don't feel like going into atm.).

For more information on BCS bowl selections please see: http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to College Football