After draft... Rookie RB performance - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

After draft... Rookie RB performance

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: After draft... Rookie RB performance

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:53 pm

Yeah, Forte is definitely the best rookie running back in redraft leagues. Chicago obviously doesn't like Benson, and Forte is the type of running back who can carry the load.

This from Rotoworld

Bears GM Jerry Angelo considers second-round pick Matt Forte a "three-down back."

Beware Cedric Benson, your job is in great danger. "I felt like our running game obviously was one of the weak spots on our football team," Angelo said, referring to last year. "He gives us a big back, a three down back." Forte is going to compete to start right away, and he just may be the favorite.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:04 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Yeah, Forte is definitely the best rookie running back in redraft leagues. Chicago obviously doesn't like Benson, and Forte is the type of running back who can carry the load.

This from Rotoworld

Bears GM Jerry Angelo considers second-round pick Matt Forte a "three-down back."

Beware Cedric Benson, your job is in great danger. "I felt like our running game obviously was one of the weak spots on our football team," Angelo said, referring to last year. "He gives us a big back, a three down back." Forte is going to compete to start right away, and he just may be the favorite.

With Forte I will believe it when I see it. He ran well against poor defenses in the NCAA. I won't be a believer until I see it in the NFL or see some tape that indicates he will be successful
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Axl's Army » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:49 pm

Mendenhall will deliver solid Fantasy Production in year 1. He will be used like MBIII in my opinion - inside the red zone, goalline etc.

Yo Mama is so fat . . .
Axl's Army
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu May 01, 2008 1:58 pm

Axl's Army wrote:Mendenhall will deliver solid Fantasy Production in year 1. He will be used like MBIII in my opinion - inside the red zone, goalline etc.

The only issue there is whether the offensive line can open up holes down there, or anywhere for that matter. Mendenhall will certainly get most of the touchdown opportunities, but Steelers running backs only ran for 7 touchdowns last year, which was a direct result of their offensive line.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Humpback » Thu May 01, 2008 2:12 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
Axl's Army wrote:Mendenhall will deliver solid Fantasy Production in year 1. He will be used like MBIII in my opinion - inside the red zone, goalline etc.

The only issue there is whether the offensive line can open up holes down there, or anywhere for that matter. Mendenhall will certainly get most of the touchdown opportunities, but Steelers running backs only ran for 7 touchdowns last year, which was a direct result of their offensive line.

The O-line definitely deserves some of the blame, but so does Parker. He's just not a very powerful running back. Rushing TDs are kind of fluky- sometimes, you throw a 50 yd bomb and it's caught, other times, it's pass interference and 1st and goal at the 1.

I expect Pitt to rush for at least 12 TDs next year, and Mendenhall could get 7 or 8 of them easily.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu May 01, 2008 4:40 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:

Illinois didn't have a great O-Line either and he still broke off runs on OSU and USC. Mendenhall is a guy that can make his own lanes and get going
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Thu May 01, 2008 7:36 pm

I think McFadden and Jonathan Stewart have the best chances of providing immediate impact. McFadden should be the horse in Oakland... but well... it's Oakland. And I really don't think the Panthers have much confidence in DeAngelo Williams or they wouldn't have spent a first round pick on Stewart, especially considering how many other needs they had.

Felix will only compliment Barber so he'll only be a spot starter in fantasy leagues. Mendenhall's in a tough situation with Willie Parker being the starter, but if he can vulture TD's like Bettis did that one year he might be a decent start here and there.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu May 01, 2008 8:17 pm

bagobonez wrote:I think McFadden and Jonathan Stewart have the best chances of providing immediate impact. McFadden should be the horse in Oakland... but well... it's Oakland. And I really don't think the Panthers have much confidence in DeAngelo Williams or they wouldn't have spent a first round pick on Stewart, especially considering how many other needs they had.

Felix will only compliment Barber so he'll only be a spot starter in fantasy leagues. Mendenhall's in a tough situation with Willie Parker being the starter, but if he can vulture TD's like Bettis did that one year he might be a decent start here and there.

Why does everyone think this? He wasn't even a horse in college. He split time with Jones while he was at Arkansas, yes he had a lot more carries than Jones, but he was never THE back at Arkansas.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ssarmstro » Fri May 02, 2008 8:03 am

[quote="deerayfan072"][quote="bagobonez"]I think McFadden and Jonathan Stewart have the best chances of providing immediate impact. [b]McFadden should be the horse in Oakland[/b]... but well... it's Oakland. And I really don't think the Panthers have much confidence in DeAngelo Williams or they wouldn't have spent a first round pick on Stewart, especially considering how many other needs they had.

Felix will only compliment Barber so he'll only be a spot starter in fantasy leagues. Mendenhall's in a tough situation with Willie Parker being the starter, but if he can vulture TD's like Bettis did that one year he might be a decent start here and there.[/quote]

Why does everyone think this? He wasn't even a horse in college. He split time with Jones while he was at Arkansas, yes he had a lot more carries than Jones, but he was never THE back at Arkansas.[/quote]

I agree, I don't see how the RB split benefits McFadden either. I mean I am sure he will get a good share of the snaps but with Fargas and Bush how will he be this great fantasy back this yr? From all reports I have read the coaching staff loves Bushs potential. I have not seen anything that even remotely mentions his leg as a issue. I see him being a goal line threat and I see him getting short yardage. In addition, you just paid fargas so he has to play in there somewhere too!!
ssarmstro
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Free Bagel » Fri May 02, 2008 8:16 am

bagobonez wrote:... but well... it's Oakland.

Why does everyone think Oakland is such a bad spot for a RB? Of the three incumbents that the big 3 rookies are coming in for (Parker, DeAngelo, Fargas), Justin Fargas probably had the best year of the bunch in '07 and he's probably the least talented of the three. A less talented guy had a better year there, yet IT is the bad spot?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk