The Derby - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The Derby

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The Derby

Postby eagles21 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:36 pm

Wow. I'm not surprised that he lost, but I am surprised how much he lost by. Eased him up at the end, I guess since he just didn't have a chance to win it, since he doesn't seem to be hurt. That's disappointing, another year with no triple crown.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eagles21 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:39 pm

Also, a lot of money was just lost. 8-o
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:09 pm

either Big Brown choked HARD, or Desmourex was on the take
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:33 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:either Big Brown choked HARD, or Desmourex was on the take

It probably has a lot more to do with the fact that he didn't get his steroid injection before this race. I'm guessing that played a role in his jockey's declaration, "I had no horse."

Ya think? :-B
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:32 am

knapplc wrote:

It probably has a lot more to do with the fact that he didn't get his steroid injection before this race. I'm guessing that played a role in his jockey's declaration, "I had no horse."

I agree with Knapp. I think this had a lot to do with him not challenging for the vic.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:29 am

Worked out well for me. I bet against a buddy of mine on the field and he got Big Brown ;-D

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:06 am

He was not built to run that distance. The jockey felt something was wrong and pulled up. He was not on the take, he just didn't want his horse to collapse and have to be euthanzied or for him to fly of the collapsed horse and be trampled on.

You could tell something was wrong when he was running.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:25 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Worked out well for me. I bet against a buddy of mine on the field and he got Big Brown ;-D

Smart bet. Even though the odds are against you on that day the historical odds favor you. Plus no roids for Double B
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:26 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I agree with Knapp. I think this had a lot to do with him not challenging for the vic.

That's only one possibility. (“I doubt if that comes up to be the answer,” Larry Bramlage, the on-call veterinarian, said after the race.)

Could also be because they gave him Lasix (anti-bleeding medication) which causes dehydration, not a great idea when the temperature is 93 degrees. Then compound that with the decision to reduce his electrolytes (which reduce dehydration) for some reason. Then there's the hoof injury that caused him to miss 3 days of training. Or perhaps he just didn't like the deeper track or the longer distance.

Big Brown is undergoing tests to see if there was any medial reason for his performance.

http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby knapplc » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:13 pm

You're right, Stomper, that's only one of many reasons why he could have performed the way he did. To me it's the most logical reason, since he did get electrolytes before the race according to his owner, and according to his trainer the hoof was a "non-issue." A horse as strong and dominant as BB showed himself to be at the Derby and Preakness shouldn't have been bothered by a heavy track to the extent he obviously was in the Belmont, so I can't imagine that's the issue.

I guess they're going to do blood work and other tests, including x-rays, on him in the next couple of days. If those come back negative, I think the focus has to be on the steroids. They're saying that next year steroids should be completely banned from horse racing, so this could be the one and only time they're an issue (if, indeed, they are the issue here).

It's just bizarre that a horse that so destroyed both fields in Kentucky and Maryland should be so utterly defeated in Cali. I really hope it's steroids, though, because the alternative would be something medical, and I'd far rather have him be a victim of roids than a victim of some medical problem.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk