Which players will you just NOT DRAFT and why? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Which players will you just NOT DRAFT and why?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Which players will you just NOT DRAFT and why?

Postby Portlis X » Thu May 01, 2008 1:29 pm

Every year, I've got somewhat strong feelings towards a handful of players. For whatever reason, I will just flat out refuse to draft certain players despite them being ranked fairly high by many of the websites or so called experts.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, so chime in. Which players are you going to just REFUSE to draft this year?

I'll start us off with Lee Evans. He's burned me 2 years in a row with his sporadic play and I'm just not going to fall for it again this year. Every time he has a good game he follows it up with a stinker. And 2 years ago he stunk for the entire first half of the season, yet started tearing it up the week right after I dropped him.
Portlis X
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Which players will you just NOT DRAFT and why?

Postby mikus » Thu May 01, 2008 3:32 pm

Fred Taylor always has been "that" guy to me. The injury bug always scared me with him, but now his age will prevent me from taking him if at all possible.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby petedog9 » Thu May 01, 2008 3:50 pm

Denver Running Backs.....

Do I really have to say why?? :-D

THE RAT!!
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu May 01, 2008 4:00 pm

petedog9 wrote:Denver Running Backs.....

Do I really have to say why?? :-D

THE RAT!!

I agree, after two years of toiling with Denver RBs, I am going to avoid them unless I get REALLY REALLY good value. Like dropping Olindo Mare for one of them.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu May 01, 2008 4:39 pm

This year and pretty much every other year too

Manning
Brady

Reason: Someone always takes them in the first or second round and I am not going to use that high of a pick on one of them
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Felix the Cat » Thu May 01, 2008 5:08 pm

There's no players that I will not draft on principle - however, there are some players that I'm sure I will not end up drafting because they'll be vastly overvalued. Randy Moss comes to mind.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu May 01, 2008 5:54 pm

I don't have an absolute blacklist. Those that do are only hurting themselves. Anybody can be drafted as long as they fall far enough. That said, most likely I won't draft Brady, Manning, Ryan Grant, Randy Moss, and Darren McFadden. Those are the names that come to mind that are rated higher than I will want to take them.

The Denver RB's are the same way, but I am not as against them as some. I can see myself drafting Denver RB's come rounds 8-10. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Thu May 01, 2008 9:06 pm

Any RB 30 years old or older. I realize that every now and then a RB over 30 can have a great fantasy season (Tiki Barber) but the odds are against you, and I'm not usually one to gamble on hitting the jackpot when your chances are much better of crapping out.

I stay away from QB's in Rounds 1 and 2, period. Usually rounds 3 and 4 as well, unless an absolute can't miss guy falls that far (Brady, Manning)

I generally shy away from players that are going to a new team, unless the situation is clearly a better one (like Moss to New England last year, I took him in both of my leagues)
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eagles21 » Thu May 01, 2008 10:05 pm

Cedric Benson- picked him in the 2nd round last year. 2nd ROUND. I was kind of glad that he was out for the season so I didn't have to put up watching his 2 yard gains over and over again on the live scoring.

Any QB that will be picked before the 5th round- I don't pick QB's before this time, so Brady, Manning, etc. can just go off my list.

Chad Johnson (for now)- don't know what's gonna happen with him yet, but at the moment I'm staying away.

Jamal Lewis- I know, I'm crazy. I still have a mental block from a few years ago when I picked after one of his good years and he played like crap for me. I also think I picked him the year he got hurt too. It just seemed like every time I picked him, he would do bad. Now, I just stay away, although after the last few years, I have to break out of this.

That's all I can think if right now.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri May 02, 2008 11:40 am

I can't foresee Michael Turner falling far enough, or me being desperate enough to draft the Falcons new RB.
I didn't like some of the things I saw in him last season. I just feel that his time may have come and gone already. Can't back that up wiht any statisical research, more of a sense that he has slowed a bit and is an injury waiting to happen.

*Such forecasts are usually solid indicators of just the opposite. Move Turner up your draft boards accordingly :-b

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Next

Return to Football Talk