Cutler Has Type 1 Diabetes - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cutler Has Type 1 Diabetes

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cutler Has Type 1 Diabetes

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri May 02, 2008 8:56 am

DENVER - Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, his business manager Marty Garafalo confirmed Thursday night.

The 25-year-old Cutler found out about two weeks ago that he was diabetic and needed daily insulin injections, Garafalo told The Associated Press.

He said Cutler was managing his disease and "in no way is his football career jeopardized."

Some 21 million Americans have diabetes, meaning their bodies cannot properly turn blood sugar into energy. Either they don't produce enough insulin or don't use it correctly. With the Type 1 form, the body's immune system attacks insulin-producing pancreatic cells, so that patients require insulin injections to survive.

"It's something that he's dealing with and something a lot of other people have," Garafalo said. "Even though it's a serious condition, it's a condition that can be managed. That's the way he's treating it right now.

"Everything's fine," Garafalo continued. "His condition is fine."
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cutler Has Type 1 Diabetes

Postby SniperShot » Fri May 02, 2008 9:20 am

I wish we knew more about this disease. Type 1 seems to just come out of the blue. There's so much unknown for a disease that seems to be becoming more and more widespread. I've done a ton of reading about this stuff since my 11 year old sister was diagnosed last July and I'm shocked at how little we know. We have no idea what causes type 1 and we are still so far we are from a reasonable cure. It's so hard because Type 1 is where you build an immunity against your own pancreas, how the freak does this happen??? How does all the sudden your body say, "Hey my pancreas has been in my body working great for years, today I'm gonna decide it's a foreign object and attack it and kill the only way I produce insulin."

Insulin isn't something you can live without, especially with todays high sugar diet. Gotta break those sugars down into energy man. I mean I can understand if you have problems from birth, but this random stuff during life just makes no sense to me. Is the pancreas some weako organ in our bodies? I dunno. Tough questions... Type 1 effects your lifestyle though in a big way, depending on the plan you go on you'll be having 2 to 3 shots of insulin every day and every time before you eat. And unlike Type 2 there's nothing you can do about it, you're stuck. Yeah I know, sucks.

What makes one persons immune system reject their pancreas? Are there no common themes that link cases together???

Sis is gonna be happy to hear this, she liked Cutler already (as do I ;-) ) now their Type 1 buddies. !+)

We gotta find a reliable cure for this sometime... Somehow.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby dream_017 » Fri May 02, 2008 10:17 am

SniperShot wrote:We gotta find a reliable cure for this sometime... Somehow.

Nice post Sniper. ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri May 02, 2008 10:25 am

Agreed great post Sniper. If I were Cutler, I would rather nobody let this information out and just deal with it. I mean, it doesn't affect his play on the field and now it will probably be a pretty big topic of discussion in interviews, etc. Would seem to me to just get old answering all the questions.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Fri May 02, 2008 10:43 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:Agreed great post Sniper. If I were Cutler, I would rather nobody let this information out and just deal with it. I mean, it doesn't affect his play on the field and now it will probably be a pretty big topic of discussion in interviews, etc. Would seem to me to just get old answering all the questions.

Probably did it to make this problem more in the public eye. I see nothing wrong with finding out and knowing more about a disease that is that widespread, but there is no cure...only being able to contain it. Awareness is half the battle ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Metroid » Fri May 02, 2008 10:54 am

dream_017 wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:Agreed great post Sniper. If I were Cutler, I would rather nobody let this information out and just deal with it. I mean, it doesn't affect his play on the field and now it will probably be a pretty big topic of discussion in interviews, etc. Would seem to me to just get old answering all the questions.

Probably did it to make this problem more in the public eye. I see nothing wrong with finding out and knowing more about a disease that is that widespread, but there is no cure...only being able to contain it. Awareness is half the battle ;-D

I thought knowing was half the battle? :-?

G.I. JOOOOOOOOE!!!!! :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby moochman » Fri May 02, 2008 11:19 am

And now for a PSA. Here are a couple of sites for those who wish to learn about or help people living with diabetes. The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation is devoted to Type I diabetes, formerly known as Juvenile Diabetes or Insulin Dependant Diabetes Mellitus (IDDM)

http://www.jdrf.org/

This is the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/

There are some studies out that suggest a correlation between certain enzymes produced in the Spleen that may have an affect on, or even cause, diabetes. This is a total departure from the normal train of thought on this disease and is still in the early research stages.

“The symptoms may occur suddenly, and include one or more of the following:
· Extreme thirst
· Frequent urination
· Drowsiness, lethargy
· Sugar in urine
· Sudden vision changes
· Increased appetite
· Sudden weight loss
· Fruity, sweet, or wine-like odor on breath
· Heavy, labored breathing
· Stupor, unconsciousness
If you think you have diabetes, call a doctor immediately, and drink fluids WITHOUT SUGAR to prevent dehydration”. (JDRF)

The highlighted symptoms require immediate emergency treatment. Go directly to an ER.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Santacruzer » Fri May 02, 2008 10:58 pm

My son was diagnosed with Diabetes just over a year ago. Yeah, it does suck. But there are worse things out there to have to deal with.

I applaud Cutler for coming out and saying he's living with it. Kids, like mine, or anyone else out there who is dealing with it need to understand that they are not a plight on society and can still hold high expectations of themselves and keep those goals aimed high. My son truly believes he's going to be an astronaut, and by the time he's an adult, who knows....apparently there's nothing holding him back from growing up to be an NFL quarterback :-)
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Sat May 03, 2008 12:28 am

Santacruzer wrote:My son was diagnosed with Diabetes just over a year ago. Yeah, it does suck. But there are worse things out there to have to deal with.

I applaud Cutler for coming out and saying he's living with it. Kids, like mine, or anyone else out there who is dealing with it need to understand that they are not a plight on society and can still hold high expectations of themselves and keep those goals aimed high. My son truly believes he's going to be an astronaut, and by the time he's an adult, who knows....apparently there's nothing holding him back from growing up to be an NFL quarterback :-)

Except Cutler was diagnosed after he was already an NLF QB...

I'M KIDDING!

Anyways, it's good to see Cutler is open about his illness. It'll provide a good rolemodel for those with the disease, and perhaps raise awarness.
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue May 06, 2008 1:11 pm

Santacruzer wrote: My son truly believes he's going to be an astronaut, and by the time he's an adult, who knows....apparently there's nothing holding him back from growing up to be an NFL quarterback :-)

If I were you and your son wants to become a professional athlete, baseball is the way to go. Contracts are basically guaranteed and although the seasons are way longer, baseball players probably don't exert as much energy/force as football players need to. Look at Barry Zito, he's getting hundreds of millions for sucking it up, and no matter how bad he is they are going to pay him ;-D ;-D ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk