Offensive linemen are the smartest... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Offensive linemen are the smartest...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Offensive linemen are the smartest...

Postby stomperrob » Sat May 03, 2008 1:07 pm

...at least based on th Wonderlic results:

May 3, 2008, 7:07 am
Take the Wonderlic TestBy Toni Monkovic

We’ve all heard about it, especially around draft time.

But have you ever taken it?

Test yourself here with some sample questions.

Then ask yourself a question: What do you think the Wonderlic has to do with playing football?

According to at least one analysis of results, Paul Zimmerman, better known as Dr. Z, said the average scores for each position were:

* Offensive tackle - 26
* Center - 25
* Quarterback - 24
* Guard - 23
* Tight end - 22
* Safety - 19
* Linebacker - 19
* Cornerback - 18
* Wide receiver - 17
* Fullback - 17
* Halfback - 16

con't...

rest of article: http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2008 ... rlic-test/

Here's a sample test if ya wanna see how you stack up: http://walterfootball.com/draftwonderlic.php
(remember - you're only allowed 5 minutes)
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Offensive linemen are the smartest...

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sat May 03, 2008 1:40 pm

I got a 37.5 (15 correct answers). I didn't do a couple of the lengthy math ones though, it gave me flashbacks of doing my SATs :~(

Guess that means I'm smarter than the entire NFL ;-7 :-B :-b

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat May 03, 2008 3:25 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:I got a 37.5 (15 correct answers). I didn't do a couple of the lengthy math ones though, it gave me flashbacks of doing my SATs :~(

Guess that means I'm smarter than the entire NFL ;-7 :-B :-b

I got the exact same thing. I skipped I think three questions and made it to the end of the test. Got 15 right.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Sat May 03, 2008 3:28 pm

That sample test was very easy. I got 16 correct which is a 40. Some of the questions took like 5 seconds. And I suck at test taking. 8-o
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat May 03, 2008 3:37 pm

I am sure the test has to be harder than that. I mean, there really isn't anything to that one. A pretty bad high-school education will get you up to the average for most positions.

Oh, and it doesn't surprise me that linemen are the smartest position. Actually, those results went pretty similar to what I expected. I don't think its a coincidence that the traditionally flashy and egotistical positions (WR, RB, CB) are the ones with the lower scores and the higher scores are for the traditionally more humble and less-known players.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 011472 » Sat May 03, 2008 4:50 pm

I'm a good test taker, and I got a 42.5.

But I can see how players could get low scores. The timing aspect of it would throw a lot of people off. Many questions are very easy, but others need some thought. And as a teacher, I see my students spending way too much time thinking about difficult questions on timed tests instead of just moving on and answering the easy ones. I love math puzzles, but skipped the question about type size until the end. After an approximate guess was wrong, I tried a couple of other possibilities but didn't get to finish on time. If I had worked on that one when I first came to it, I would've figured it out, but probably wouldn't have made it much farther.

But anyone who thinks Febtober is the eighth month of the year is in for real trouble.
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat May 03, 2008 5:20 pm

011472 wrote:I'm a good test taker, and I got a 42.5.

But I can see how players could get low scores. The timing aspect of it would throw a lot of people off. Many questions are very easy, but others need some thought. And as a teacher, I see my students spending way too much time thinking about difficult questions on timed tests instead of just moving on and answering the easy ones. I love math puzzles, but skipped the question about type size until the end. After an approximate guess was wrong, I tried a couple of other possibilities but didn't get to finish on time. If I had worked on that one when I first came to it, I would've figured it out, but probably wouldn't have made it much farther.

But anyone who thinks Febtober is the eighth month of the year is in for real trouble.

Yeah, they had Febtoday on one of the questions too. Granted, my high score was somewhat justified because I do have a 4.0 GPA through nearly two years of college. Still though, if they just get a "tutor" to tell them to answer the easy questions and come back to the others, then I guarantee they would see the averages come higher. That and the fact that I am sure some of them don't really try that hard too.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Axl's Army » Sat May 03, 2008 6:47 pm

This is a phenomenon that is very interesting to me. What is also interesting is, the further you get from the ball the lower the score. Also, Defensive players score lower. Collin Cowherd on ESPN Radio's Show "The Herd" did a very interesting segment on this.

Yo Mama is so fat . . .
Axl's Army
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dream_017 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:34 am

I thought this was already a pretty widely known fact :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:48 am

I got a 30 :-o
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Next

Return to Football Talk