Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Benson Arrested

Postby stomperrob » Mon May 05, 2008 4:16 pm

From the Chicago media:

Benson on shaky ground
Bears know all they need to know to cut him
May 5, 2008
BY MIKE MULLIGAN mmulligan@suntimes.com

If your cup is half full, you could look at Cedric Benson's arrest Saturday in Texas as a positive sign for the 2008 Bears. Benson is recovering from a fracture just above his left ankle that required a plate and screws to hold the bone together. As the team wonders how much speed the injury will cost him, it can take heart in the fact that he apparently has found his sea legs.

But even the ever-optimist Lovie Smith couldn't put a happy spin on this one, saying only that he was ''disappointed'' to hear Benson was charged with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest, charges Benson denied. He reportedly even had to be pepper-sprayed into submission. Smith said he needed to gather more information.

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo was conveniently out of town and did not return phone calls. No doubt he needs to gather more information, as well.

Sadly, it's a bit late for that. There's a big enough pile of evidence for the Bears to cut ties with Benson without another thought. Maybe that's the real positive of his water-logged weekend. Benson has one leg out the door and another on a banana peel anyway after the draft last weekend, when the Bears effectively replaced him by using a second-round pick on Matt Forte.

Just remember one important fact if the Bears decide to cut bait with Benson now: His failure will have nothing to do with his injury. That excuse has been blown. The men who drafted Benson with the No. 4 pick in the 2005 draft and have coddled him ever since won't be able to say his career sputtered and died because of injury, an excuse they've used before to explain failed picks such as Marc Colombo.

If Benson is cut now, it will be because of a character flaw -- one that apparently went unnoticed when it came time to judge him as a college player. Every misstep Benson has made as a Bear, whether it be walking off the sideline during a preseason game or getting punched in the chops by Thomas Jones for goofing around during a drill in 2006 has been blamed on somebody else.

con't...

rest of story: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mulligan ... 05.article

also see: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/telander ... 05.article
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Old_Style » Mon May 05, 2008 5:13 pm

knapplc wrote:Good ones, guys. As a Bears fan it pains me to see "my" RB get dissed like that, but the guy SO deserves it. He has been a total bust. :-t

Biggest first round running back bust for the Bears in the last 15 years?
Rashaan Salaam '95
Curtis Enis '98
Cedric Benson '05
"Jay is our quarterback."
Old_Style
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Munboy » Mon May 05, 2008 10:27 pm

I wonder if this will give the Bears grounds to be able to cut him and get some of their money back.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby knapplc » Tue May 06, 2008 12:49 pm

Old_Style wrote:
knapplc wrote:Good ones, guys. As a Bears fan it pains me to see "my" RB get dissed like that, but the guy SO deserves it. He has been a total bust. :-t

Biggest first round running back bust for the Bears in the last 15 years?
Rashaan Salaam '95
Curtis Enis '98
Cedric Benson '05

Dude! What did I do to you that you would wound me so!?!?!? My eyes! MY EYES!!!!!!! :~( :~( :~(

:-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Old_Style » Wed May 07, 2008 12:34 am

knapplc wrote:Dude! What did I do to you that you would wound me so!?!?!? My eyes! MY EYES!!!!!!! :~( :~( :~(

Sorry about that. I figured after being a Bears fan for any length of time, you'd be immunized to Chicago Bears first round busts. I know I have. :-/
"Jay is our quarterback."
Old_Style
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Tue May 13, 2008 2:33 pm

Let's see him get convicted of (or plea to) any offense before we call the guy stupid, and crap all over him.

From a lot of what's been reported, he's on a boat with some friends and family (including his mother) making it sort of hard to believe that he was operating a vehicle while intoxicated, or that he started a fight with police. I'm just as willing to believe that his offense was being wealthy and black in Texas.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue May 13, 2008 3:26 pm

FatFoot wrote:Let's see him get convicted of (or plea to) any offense before we call the guy stupid, and crap all over him.

From a lot of what's been reported, he's on a boat with some friends and family (including his mother) making it sort of hard to believe that he was operating a vehicle while intoxicated, or that he started a fight with police. I'm just as willing to believe that his offense was being wealthy and black in Texas.

Really........ I mean honestly...... I mean, I am shutting up. :-X :-)
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue May 13, 2008 9:53 pm

...because we all know guys never drink around friends and family right??? And all cops are racists!!!
!+) ;-7
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue May 13, 2008 11:28 pm

The Lung wrote:
Old_Style wrote:My guess, is that he tried to flee but feel down after about three yards or so.

Or he got tackled by one cop. :-b

Great ones ;-D LMAO!
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Wed May 14, 2008 12:01 am

stomperrob wrote:...because we all know guys never drink around friends and family right??? And all cops are racists!!!
!+) ;-7

I agree...it's ludicrous to use the "black prejudice" excuse. I also find it odd that FatFoot doesn't think he was drinking because he was with friends+family, is he supposed to get drunk with strangers?
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk