Willis McGahee and Ray Rice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Willis McGahee and Ray Rice

Moderator: Football Moderators

Willis McGahee and Ray Rice

Postby Stelly » Wed May 07, 2008 8:39 am

Now that Baltimore has added Ray Rice through the draft, what do you think this will do to McGahee's production?

Is Rice nothing more than a backup to McGahee, or will he get a decent amount of touches? Maybe just some goalline/short yardage work?

I know it's VERY early, but what are your thoughts?
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Willis McGahee and Ray Rice

Postby Free Bagel » Wed May 07, 2008 12:36 pm

We've seen 2nd round RBs drafted behind solidified starters time and time and time and time again, and the vast majority of the time they are just there as backups. I don't see this situation being any different, and don't see any reason that Ray Rice was added to be anything more than Musa Smith was.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed May 07, 2008 12:57 pm

i think when rice fell to them they took him because he had pretty decent value and they were in need of a backup RB. with anderson leaving and musas contract ending, they had a choice whether to try to keep musa, or let him go and bring in a back thats more durable and possibly more productive. i think they made the right choice.

as far as his production...dont worry about mcgahee losing work. im pretty sure he finished around number 5 in the league for rushing yardage last season in a pitiful offense. add to that how much the ravens paid to get him on the team and the fact that the ravens offense needs veteran leadership on the field...i dont see him being used any different than last season. rice i see as a solid insurance policy/ relief back.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed May 07, 2008 4:41 pm

I see Ray Rice as a poor mans MJD. That is not a knock on him, but a compliment to MJD. Rice will get some carries, but not enough his first year to be a valuable fantasy option. I do think he will get more touches next season and after. I think he can be a nice back in a 2 back system like MJD is. He is a quick guy who hits the hole with explosion and see's the field well. He has been run a lot in college and that may have an effect. He is also on the small side, but so was MJD
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sublimeandy » Thu May 08, 2008 9:22 pm

i am a rutgers alumni so my opinion is completely biased. that being said, i don't think rice will make a fantasy impact this year, unless of course mcgahee gets injured. however, rice has drive and is not going to want to be a back up for long and i can see him making a serious push for some playing time in a year or so. him wanting playing time and getting it are two separate things obviously. he was used a lot at rutgers but i think after getting limited touches this year he will be refreshed and ready to kick some a#$ is 09.
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk