Who is the #6 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the #6 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is the #6 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Poll ended at Sun May 11, 2008 11:04 am

RB Kevin Smith, Detroit Lions
61%
RB Chris Johnson, Tennessee Titans
30%
RB Ray Rice, Baltimore Ravens
No votes
QB Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons
6%
WR Devin Thomas, Washington Redskins
3%
Other (PLEASE DISCUSS!)
No votes

Total votes : 33

Re: Who is the #6 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby Kensat30 » Thu May 08, 2008 12:23 pm

Tough call on Smith vs. Johnson.

I think the writing is on the wall that Chris Johnson will never get the chance to be a 300 or even 250 carry RB for Tennessee though. They've already talked about him as a "playmaker" and not a RB. They want to line up Johnson wide, move him around in and out of the backfield, make him return kicks, Reggie Bush at best. Which sucks, because I think Johnson has the talent to turn himself into a Clinton Portis type RB.

When Kevin Smith landed in Detroit, his short term value became too great to pass up. Even if you don't believe in the guy long term, you draft him and then trade him this year.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu May 08, 2008 12:32 pm

I'd rather have a guy, especially a RB, be a starter right from the start. Especially when the talent levels are close. I see Forte, Smith, and Johnson close to the same talent wise. But because Johnson ran like the wind at the combine he was a 1st round pick. That doesn't really change my view. Lendale is a big young back. He's going to be the one getting the goaline carries for the forseeable future. Johnson will have to break long runs just to have a chance of scoring. I'd rather take my chances on guys I believe will start from day 1. 3-5 years down the road is tough to predict for a RB. And I wouldn't keep dead weight on my dynasty roster at the RB position unless I thought they were a special talent. Johnson to me is not a special talent.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dream_017 » Thu May 08, 2008 12:37 pm

I'm sticking with CJ3
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu May 08, 2008 12:59 pm

Funny thing to me is that it sounds like Johnson is going to be used EXACTLY like Bush was his first year and yet everyone is down on him because of his situation, but took Bush in the first or second. I understand that Johnson is not Bush and Bush was a much more heralded back, but it is the same situation and Johnson is pretty talented IMO. I think Tenn is going to use him like JAX uses MJD and everyone saw what he did his first year.

-- Forgot, when you read about CJ3 (registered trademark of Dream) he is compared most to 2 different guys -- Westy and Bush. As much as I dislike Bush and think he cannot be a featured back, he is still good when used right and with White there (a la a Deuce) I think you will see him put up some nice numbers. Anyone compared to Westy and Bush is in good company, IMO
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Humpback » Thu May 08, 2008 1:23 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Funny thing to me is that it sounds like Johnson is going to be used EXACTLY like Bush was his first year and yet everyone is down on him because of his situation, but took Bush in the first or second. I understand that Johnson is not Bush and Bush was a much more heralded back, but it is the same situation and Johnson is pretty talented IMO. I think Tenn is going to use him like JAX uses MJD and everyone saw what he did his first year.

-- Forgot, when you read about CJ3 (registered trademark of Dream) he is compared most to 2 different guys -- Westy and Bush. As much as I dislike Bush and think he cannot be a featured back, he is still good when used right and with White there (a la a Deuce) I think you will see him put up some nice numbers. Anyone compared to Westy and Bush is in good company, IMO

I'm not liking the comparisions too much. I didn't (nor would I have) take Bush in the first or second round first of all, but both Bush and MJD are more talented than Johnson IMO. When Bush was a rookie, Deuce was coming off of a major injury, so that left open the possibility that Bush would get a lot more touches. That isn't the case for White, so it looks like Johnson will be limited. Besides being more talented, MJD is the goal line back, and it looks almost certain that Johnson won't be, so that's a huge difference for fantasy purposes. If MJD wasn't the goal line back, his value would be severely limited, much like Johnson's will be IMO.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu May 08, 2008 2:09 pm

Humpback wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Funny thing to me is that it sounds like Johnson is going to be used EXACTLY like Bush was his first year and yet everyone is down on him because of his situation, but took Bush in the first or second. I understand that Johnson is not Bush and Bush was a much more heralded back, but it is the same situation and Johnson is pretty talented IMO. I think Tenn is going to use him like JAX uses MJD and everyone saw what he did his first year.

I'm not liking the comparisions too much. I didn't (nor would I have) take Bush in the first or second round first of all, but both Bush and MJD are more talented than Johnson IMO. When Bush was a rookie, Deuce was coming off of a major injury, so that left open the possibility that Bush would get a lot more touches. That isn't the case for White, so it looks like Johnson will be limited. Besides being more talented, MJD is the goal line back, and it looks almost certain that Johnson won't be, so that's a huge difference for fantasy purposes. If MJD wasn't the goal line back, his value would be severely limited, much like Johnson's will be IMO.

I agree 100%. And as for Westbrook, he was injured frequently and was not the fulltime back at the start of his career either. And the Eagles didn't have a first round pick as the 'other' RB. So Johnson will be used just like Bush. That's fine but coming out of college like you said Bush was a much more heralded back. Like I said, no goalline and no feature roll means limited fantasy value.

Bush had a RB coming off major injury and considered much more talented

MJD is the goaline back and the only competition is probably on his last legs

Westbrook had an injury history plus took him a while to get the #1 job.

Johnson has a backup job with a good young BIG back in front of him. This limits his touches all over the field and at the goaline. Can't really compare the situations.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:20 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:
I agree 100%. And as for Westbrook, he was injured frequently and was not the fulltime back at the start of his career either. And the Eagles didn't have a first round pick as the 'other' RB. So Johnson will be used just like Bush. That's fine but coming out of college like you said Bush was a much more heralded back. Like I said, no goalline and no feature roll means limited fantasy value.

Johnson has a backup job with a good young BIG back in front of him. This limits his touches all over the field and at the goaline. Can't really compare the situations.

So Bush being more heralded is the reason you can't compare the situation? Yes Deuce was coming off an injury, but that is not the reason Bush was used the way he was. Bush is not a feature back and needs to be used in different ways to be effective, and that is how CJ3 will be used. Deuce was the goalline back and Bush still got TD's. Bush may be more heralded, I never said better by the way, but Johnson may be just as talented. The guy has better vision, is faster, and hits the hole much better. He does not have as great of hands as bush, but they are still good. It is just my opinion, but I think you will see Johnson used very much the same way that Bush was used his first year and he will be a very productive back. I am in no way endorsing him to be a top round pick, but I think he will be better than Smith and Forte.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Humpback » Thu May 08, 2008 3:27 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:

So Bush being more heralded is the reason you can't compare the situation? Yes Deuce was coming off an injury, but that is not the reason Bush was used the way he was. Bush is not a feature back and needs to be used in different ways to be effective, and that is how CJ3 will be used. Deuce was the goalline back and Bush still got TD's. Bush may be more heralded, I never said better by the way, but Johnson may be just as talented. The guy has better vision, is faster, and hits the hole much better. He does not have as great of hands as bush, but they are still good. It is just my opinion, but I think you will see Johnson used very much the same way that Bush was used his first year and he will be a very productive back. I am in no way endorsing him to be a top round pick, but I think he will be better than Smith and Forte.

Deuce's injury wasn't the reason Bush was used the way he was, but it was part of the reason why Bush was drafted so high- people were factoring in that Deuce may not be able to come back and be effective, so Bush had a decent chance to be the main RB. That isn't really the case with Johnson, since White isn't coming off of a major injury.

Just curious- do you think Johnson will be better than Forte and Smith over the next 5-6 years, or starting right away in '08? The only reason I don't think so right now is because of the TDs.

You could be right, he could end up better than them, but I wouldn't compare Johnson to Bush, MJD, or Westy. I think that's a pretty big stretch at this point.
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu May 08, 2008 3:40 pm

Humpback wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:

Deuce's injury wasn't the reason Bush was used the way he was, but it was part of the reason why Bush was drafted so high- people were factoring in that Deuce may not be able to come back and be effective, so Bush had a decent chance to be the main RB. That isn't really the case with Johnson, since White isn't coming off of a major injury.

Just curious- do you think Johnson will be better than Forte and Smith over the next 5-6 years, or starting right away in '08? The only reason I don't think so right now is because of the TDs.

You could be right, he could end up better than them, but I wouldn't compare Johnson to Bush, MJD, or Westy. I think that's a pretty big stretch at this point.

Over the next couple of years I think Johnson will be the better back. If it were a PPR I think I may take the chance on CJ over those 2 this year, but in a non ppr I would lean towards Forte/Smith over him, because the lack of Goalline area touches like we said.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Humpback » Fri May 09, 2008 3:08 pm

Thanks, I agree.

Is Smith the winner here?
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk