Someone explain the hard drives on 360's, PS3's please - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Someone explain the hard drives on 360's, PS3's please

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Someone explain the hard drives on 360's, PS3's please

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:46 pm

yeah i think if you got a console just to play gta4 sooner you would be dissapointed. i mean, its a fun game and all...but not that fun. :-b
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Tue May 13, 2008 6:13 pm

bagobonez wrote:I'd have a hard time convincing my wife that I need so spend "x" amount of dollars every month just to play online.

Well, if you put any kind of tiny effort into it comes out to about $2.50/month as it regularly goes on sale for $25-$30 (I have like 5 years worth of Live right now because I just stocked up during the last couple sales), shouldn't be that hard to convince her of that. Even if you don't put any effort in it's $4 month at full retail.

And for the money it shouldn't even be a consideration. I am completely 100% not joking when I say I would pay 10x what it costs for Live for the service. My PS3 and PC are basically strictly single player machines now because I can't stand trying to set up multiplayer games with friends without Live. Live is just so damned convenient it's kind of ridiculous. If you guys recall (and you can probably go back and find my posts) before I got my 360 I was a huge xbox hater, and I regularly complained about people having to pay for the service as well. I got the 360 because I got an HDTV and it was the only HD console out at the time, and it won me over pretty quickly...especially Live.

bagobonez wrote:plus I have a standard projection TV so I'm not sure how much more clear a blu ray movie would look anyway since i don't have a high def TV or plasma or anything.

There's no point in using Blu-ray on a standard def television. The only bonus there would be future proofing yourself for when you eventually do get an HDTV, but you won't notice any difference right now.

personally just as a fair warning i would be wary of buying a 360 in any way but new. the RROD or red ring of death problems may not be as frequent as they used to be on the newer versions but without the warranty you get when you buy it it could be a large paperweight in no time flat costing you the money you already put out.

Why would the non-new 360 not have a warranty? There are no requirements for warranty service on a 360 other than the unit itself, and its serial number (which is on the box). You don't need a receipt or anything, and the warranty period is 3 years for RROD so even launch consoles are still under warranty.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby bagobonez » Wed May 14, 2008 8:25 am

So suppose I found an xbox 360 on ebay that has the red rings of death, but the warranty seal is still intact. Can I buy that console and then ship it off to Microsoft to have them fix it even though I'm not the original owner and don't have a receipt? If so, can someone provide a link that proves it? Thanks! I'm leaning towards going ahead and getting one now because I read that GTA4 will only be hitting PC in Europe... there is no release date for it on PC for America, meaning it may NEVER hit PC. That's not acceptable. ;-D
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Thu May 15, 2008 6:51 pm

bagobonez wrote:So suppose I found an xbox 360 on ebay that has the red rings of death, but the warranty seal is still intact. Can I buy that console and then ship it off to Microsoft to have them fix it even though I'm not the original owner and don't have a receipt? If so, can someone provide a link that proves it? Thanks! I'm leaning towards going ahead and getting one now because I read that GTA4 will only be hitting PC in Europe... there is no release date for it on PC for America, meaning it may NEVER hit PC. That's not acceptable. ;-D

ANybody got an answer to this question??????
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu May 15, 2008 7:02 pm

i have no idea...ive never had the RROD before so i dont know the process all that well. its probably on the xbox website though if you want to make sure.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Fri May 16, 2008 8:13 am

last question.... is the xbox 360 itself a DVD player or do you have to buy some kind of special drive or adapter for it to play DVD's?
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri May 16, 2008 8:51 am

it plays dvds without any ad ons. you use your controller as a remote, or you can spend a few bucks and buy a conventional remote too.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Free Bagel » Sun May 18, 2008 2:55 am

bagobonez wrote:
bagobonez wrote:So suppose I found an xbox 360 on ebay that has the red rings of death, but the warranty seal is still intact. Can I buy that console and then ship it off to Microsoft to have them fix it even though I'm not the original owner and don't have a receipt? If so, can someone provide a link that proves it? Thanks! I'm leaning towards going ahead and getting one now because I read that GTA4 will only be hitting PC in Europe... there is no release date for it on PC for America, meaning it may NEVER hit PC. That's not acceptable. ;-D

Free Bagel wrote:There are no requirements for warranty service on a 360 other than the unit itself, and its serial number (which is on the unit). You don't need a receipt or anything, and the warranty period is 3 years for RROD so even launch consoles are still under warranty.

However, I can not provide a link. All I can tell you is that when I sent my unit back the only thing they asked for was a serial number and a shipping address to send it to.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby bagobonez » Sun May 18, 2008 8:52 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
bagobonez wrote:

Free Bagel wrote:There are no requirements for warranty service on a 360 other than the unit itself, and its serial number (which is on the unit). You don't need a receipt or anything, and the warranty period is 3 years for RROD so even launch consoles are still under warranty.

However, I can not provide a link. All I can tell you is that when I sent my unit back the only thing they asked for was a serial number and a shipping address to send it to.

See, my cousin said when he sent his back they asked for his receipt. It would make sense to me that they wouldn't need the receipt, surely the serial number would do, i'm sure they have a database to track that stuff. If I did get a broken 360, sent it off for repair and got it back, would the warranty still be good if it broke again?
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Mon May 19, 2008 1:12 pm

I think I'll just play it safe and buy a working xbox 360. THe price difference between a 360 with the red ring of death and a refurbished (guaranteed to work) xbox 360 is only about $40, might as well just get something that definitely works.

I can get an xbox 360 with 20GB Hard drive, wireless controller, headset and all the necessary connecting cables for only about $180-$190 on ebay, just depending on the current bid, then an additional $20 for shipping. They also come with independent warranties for $20 for 1 year or $40 for 2 years, so I might invest in that since 360's seem to break down fairly easily.

To scrape up SOME of the money to do this, I'm selling a package of 21 PS2 games on ebay. Check it out and bid if you're interested....
[url]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0234357072[/url]
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Video Games