Who is the #8 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the #8 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Poll ended at Wed May 14, 2008 7:25 pm

RB Ray Rice, Baltimore Ravens
25%
RB Steve Slaton, Houston Texans
19%
QB Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons
33%
QB Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens
3%
WR Devin Thomas, Washington Redskins
17%
Other (PLEASE DISCUSS!)
3%

Total votes : 36

Postby The Lung » Sun May 11, 2008 7:25 pm

Who is the #8 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts this year? You are voting on who will have the best fantasy football production in the NFL over the next 5 or 6 years with the team on which the player was just drafted, NOT who will have the best year in 2008. Also please assume that you have a balanced roster and don't have a great specific need for a QB, WR, etc. and that the league settings make each position roughly of equal value (e.g. no two QB leagues or those designed to greatly favor QBs...)

Feel free to discuss the pros and cons of these players - this could be helpful for some and generate some good discussion. The discussion of these players and their situations is most important part of these polls. If you vote "other" please discuss the player after you vote. (And I'll add him to the next poll if he doesn't win as a write-in)

Previous consensus votes:

#1: RB Darren McFadden, Oakland Raiders
#2: RB Rashard Mendenhall, Pittsburgh Steelers
#3: RB Jonathan Stewart, Carolina Panthers
#4: RB Felix Jones, Dallas Cowboys
#5: RB Matt Forte, Chicago Bears
#6: RB Kevin Smith, Detroit Lions
#7: RB Chris Johnson, Tennessee Titans

(Also, for comparison sake, Cafe members voted on the top 12 rookie dynasty picks back in February and March, the results of which can be viewed here)
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who is the #8 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun May 11, 2008 7:55 pm

It's a very tough call between Thomas and Ryan for me. I like Thomas' situation for the most part (good talent surrounding him, but Snyder still owns the team, and Thomas and Kelly both can't both be the #2 guy), but Ryan's isn't too bad either with a pair of good running backs and a couple of promising wide receivers (if Atlanta can get their offensive line together, Laurent Robinson works out, and White keeps playing well, he's in great shape).

I'm gonna go with Ryan, but it's close.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby BlueBandit24 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:13 pm

I went with Ray Rice. You're probably going to have to be patient if you grab Rice but I like his talent and long-term potential. Rice is likely not going to take many touches away from McGahee initially, but after two years or so I think the Ravens are going to part ways with McGahee and let somebody else take him for his twilight years in the league. At that point Rice should assume a good chunk of the backfield duties, although it will probably be a split of some sort unless he adds some weight to his frame. I do like his abilities though and could see him making a significant impact as early as 2009.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Sun May 11, 2008 8:44 pm

Ew. A QB with limited superstar potential that even in a best case scenario you're going to have to wait a few years to get merely a serviceable starter at one of the least important FF positions with your first round pick?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby thriftyrocker » Sun May 11, 2008 9:29 pm

Slaton has the best opportunity given he has two mediocre guys with injury problems ahead of him. He had better competition at WVU. I wouldn't have even taken him in the first round pre-draft but now I'm pretty high on him.

I really don't like any of the rookie WRs this high.

Ryan will be decent. Like Matt Schaub decent, ironically. But it is crazy to take him this high unless you have a serious need.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Humpback » Sun May 11, 2008 9:40 pm

Yeah, now it's going to get interesting. I like Rice the best of the bunch, but I can't see him getting an opportunity to do much for at least a couple of years, and there's no guarantee he's going to be good when he does. Slaton has fairly serious question marks and some competition, Ryan I don't think will ever be much more than a #2 FF QB, and it'll probably take a few years to even get there. Same with the WRs- it'll take 2-3 years most likely for any of them to become #2 or #3 FF WRs, and they may never be more than that. I'll go with Rice, but I don't like it. :-b
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby onnestabe » Tue May 13, 2008 8:53 am

I agree with the rest. There's not any drool-inducing picks at this point. I voted for Thomas, but I would be trying to trade this pick to someone who really liked one of these guys.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:23 am

Jamaal Charles

He is the most talented back left and he is in a nice spot in KC. LJ won't be around forever and he is much better than Smith

Ryan leading this is a joke. He will never be a good NFL QB and even if he is an average fantasy starter he won't be worth that until 3-4 years from now. Flacco and Brohm are both better QB's
Last edited by deerayfan072 on Tue May 13, 2008 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:24 am

thriftyrocker wrote:Slaton has the best opportunity given he has two mediocre guys with injury problems ahead of him. He had better competition at WVU. I wouldn't have even taken him in the first round pre-draft but now I'm pretty high on him.

I really don't like any of the rookie WRs this high.

Ryan will be decent. Like Matt Schaub decent, ironically. But it is crazy to take him this high unless you have a serious need.

I don't like Slaton at all. The guy could not stay healthy in the Big Lest let alone the NFL
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby killiansjmd » Tue May 13, 2008 9:28 am

I personally like Rice better than Slaton but my vote is for Slaton at this spot. I think he's in a better position to be more productive right away than Rice is. There are plenty of mediocre RB on Houston and I think Slaton will be able to have success running draws, catching screens or balls out in the flat where they will look to get him 10-12 touches per game.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk