Randy McMichael's value up??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Randy McMichael's value up???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Randy McMichael's value up???

Postby stomperrob » Mon May 12, 2008 12:29 pm

He seems to think so seeing as new OC Al Saunders has produced a Pro Bowl TE for 8 straight seaons:

Posted on Mon, May. 12, 2008
McMichael glad to have Saunders aboard
Tight end had a rough campaign last season
BY STEVE KORTE
News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS --No St. Louis Rams player may be more excited about Al Saunders being offensive coodinator than tight end Randy McMichael.

"As soon as I found what was going on and they had hired Coach Saunders, I got really excited," McMichael said. "This is the kind of offense that I have dreamed my whole career of playing in. I'm having a good time right now, and hopefully I can extend my role and keep doing the things I like to do."

McMichael likes to catch passes, though he didn't do much of that last year in his first season with the Rams. He tied a career-low in receptions with 39 and set a career-low in receiving yards with 429.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.bnd.com/sports/story/337333.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Randy McMichael's value up???

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon May 12, 2008 1:49 pm

McMichael could be a good sleeper, the Rams lost a good possession guy in Bruce and Holt's knees aren't getting any better...IMO I'd rather get Crumpler as a sleeper tight end, but McMichael is still physically gifted enough to be a force, he just has to hold onto the damn ball.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bmor8811 » Mon May 12, 2008 2:19 pm

He'll get plenty of opportunities to capitalize in Saunder's system that's for sure, but I still probably won't have him on my roster initially as a TE1. i guess if you pass on the first two tiers of tight ends I could see you waiting until the 8th or so and pick up McMichael as he's probably raised himself to a low third-tier guy. But now, before summer camps and stuff, that's all he is a high-upside second TE.
bmor8811
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterCafecaster

Postby eagles21 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:19 pm

He'd probably be a good late round guy, but that's about it. What worries me is that the production of the Rams O-line last year was similar to the Dolphin's in 2004, which was his best season. Now I'm not really sure how similar the system in Miami in 2004 was compared to the Rams last year, although I do know that McMichael still thrived on a terrible team in 04.

Hopefully the fact that the Rams got better on the O-line, Al Saunders, and some other passing weapons are gone could mean that McMichael could have a decent year.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon May 12, 2008 8:53 pm

I think you are making a big mistake relying on him as your #1 TE. Too many risks. Nonetheless with the coaching changes he is worth a late rd flyer.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby onnestabe » Tue May 13, 2008 9:41 am

I didn't read this whole article, but I did see something similar a few minutes ago. It suggested that he's still really just a sleeper TE2 for fantasy purposes, and I think that's fairly accurate, especially if you are secure at TE1. You would be able to grab McMike in the late rounds and worst case is he sucks and he only starts one week for you, and best case is he becomes trade bait for an upgrade elsewhere.

I definitely don't think it would be a good idea to draft him as your TE1.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Ablack86 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:56 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:I think you are making a big mistake relying on him as your #1 TE. Too many risks. Nonetheless with the coaching changes he is worth a late rd flyer.

AGREED!

It's the Rams, we don't consider the TE position to be anything but an extra OLman.
Ablack86
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Wed May 14, 2008 1:38 am

If I can grab McMichael relatively cheaply (TE15+), he will end up on a lot of my teams. St. Louis should come out with an entirely new look on offense with Saunders in town. Now that a capable OC has come in to install his own system, instead of piecing something together utilizing Martz's legacy, they should start out on a new foot. Bruce is gone. Bennett is unproven. And Holy may not be up to be a 100+ reception WR anymore. There is room there for McMichael to get a decent enough chunk to be just as much of a fantasy factor as he was in his heyday in Miami. Then again, he could fall flat on his face just like last season.

Definitely worth the shot if the price is right though. Love him as a TE#2 on the bench. Draft him late and then decide sometime around week 4 or 5 whether or not you want to cut him to make a waiver move.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Kilroy » Wed May 14, 2008 12:31 pm

Kensat30 wrote:If I can grab McMichael relatively cheaply (TE15+), he will end up on a lot of my teams. St. Louis should come out with an entirely new look on offense with Saunders in town. Now that a capable OC has come in to install his own system, instead of piecing something together utilizing Martz's legacy, they should start out on a new foot. Bruce is gone. Bennett is unproven. And Holy may not be up to be a 100+ reception WR anymore. There is room there for McMichael to get a decent enough chunk to be just as much of a fantasy factor as he was in his heyday in Miami. Then again, he could fall flat on his face just like last season.

Definitely worth the shot if the price is right though. Love him as a TE#2 on the bench. Draft him late and then decide sometime around week 4 or 5 whether or not you want to cut him to make a waiver move.

What he said. ;-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby stomperrob » Mon May 19, 2008 2:13 pm

Sounds like he's already seeing more action...

Why is Randy McMichael smiling all of a sudden?
By Bill Coats
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
05/19/2008

Observers at the recent Rams minicamp noticed right away that something was out of whack: What was tight end Randy McMichael doing running downfield routes?

This was the same tight end who spent most of last season virtually tethered to the tackle, his blocking valued far more than his receiving after injuries devastated the offensive line.

But here McMichael was running free, down the middle, up the sidelines, latching onto 15-, 20-, even 25-yard passes. No wonder McMichael was heard crowing that "it's a new day around here."

con't...

rest of article: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Next

Return to Football Talk