Return to Football Talk

Ray Rice

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ray Rice

Postby stomperrob » Tue May 13, 2008 10:35 am

Ravens' Rice proves to be quick study at RB
By Aaron Wilson, Times Staff Writer
Tuesday, May 13, 2008

OWINGS MILLS — Wearing baggy black shorts that draped below his knees and looked big enough to house a hefty offensive tackle, Baltimore Ravens rookie running back Ray Rice scooted around the practice field in constant motion.

During a mandatory minicamp that concluded Sunday, Rice displayed proof in advertising about his uncommon quickness and cutting ability.

Although the former Rutgers star is listed at 5-foot-8, 200 pounds on the roster, he’s not diminutive in terms of his game or durability. Drafted in the second round last month, Rice is vying to become the primary backup to Willis McGahee.

“That kid can flat-out play,” McGahee said. “Man, he’s quick.”

con't...

and:

He also caught punts this weekend, and is expected to provide a third-down presence as a receiver out of the backfield during the regular season. That’s provided he can edge out Cory Ross and P.J. Daniels on the depth chart.

rest of article: http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/artic ... 051308.txt
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ray Rice

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:41 am

the dude is a lot like MJD. cant wait to watch him play:

deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Humpback » Tue May 13, 2008 1:10 pm

I like him a lot, but he's not as good as MJD IMO. I hate using the term, but he's a "poor man's" MJD or MJD-lite. Not quite as good vision, hands, instincts or as quick, strong, etc. I wish he went some where that he would be used more though.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:17 pm

i think...or at least in my case...when people use a MJD reference...it has more to do with his size and quickness/explosiveness.

there isnt really another notable back in the league that is close to those guys' builds.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Humpback » Tue May 13, 2008 3:34 pm

I've heard the comparisons before, and I agree with them to some extent, but I just think Rice isn't quite as good, explosive, strong, whatever as MJD. He does have heart and should be fun to watch, if he gets out on the field much.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Kensat30 » Tue May 13, 2008 6:04 pm

Ray Rice is the most undervalued RB in rookie drafts right now. The guy dropped a full round in the draft just because he is only 5'8". But he has the same build as the best RBs in the league, only two inches shorter. And I think he slimmed down for the draft to improves his 40 times. The guy is a smart, solid football player that probably will get his chance down the road. I would love to have him on my bench waiting for his chance..
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:06 am

Ravens running back Rice thinking big
Second-round pick, 5 feet 8, has no shortage of confidence
By Don Markus | Sun Reporter
June 19, 2008

Ray Rice has some of the same expectations going into his rookie year with the Ravens that he had going into his freshman year at Rutgers. He is hoping to help a rebuilding team find its way back to respectability. He is hoping to be a contributing player, not an immediate star.

"The biggest difference is that the Ravens have won a Super Bowl, and Rutgers came from where they hadn't won much," Rice said during a three-day rookie and free-agent camp that concluded yesterday in Owings Mills.

"Willis [McGahee] is established, sort of the way Brian [Leonard] was established. I can come in and contribute, just like I contributed my freshman year. I'm not going to say, 'I'm going to take his spot.' If I can lessen the load on him, then I'm doing my job."

In the nearly two months since the Ravens took him in the second round with the 55th overall pick, Rice has demonstrated that his size - 5 feet 8, 200 pounds - will not be an obstacle, just as it wasn't on the college level.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/foot ... 2243.story
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:33 pm

This guy could easily become the next Marion Barber/Michael Turner/Brandon Jacobs.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Humpback » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:52 pm

Kensat30 wrote:This guy could easily become the next Marion Barber/Michael Turner/Brandon Jacobs.

The only similarity I see is with Turner. MBIII only had to compete with a young non-proven JJ, and Jacobs went into a situation with a much older RB in front of him. I see the Turner one (McGahee is obviously not LT2, but he is a very solid RB). The problem is, it took Turner until his 5th season before he even gets a chance to become FF relevant, and we still don't know if he'll be any good. That's my issue with Rice- McGahee is still pretty young, has a lot of tread left on his tires, and Cameron hasn't exactly been a RBBC guy. I just don't expect him to get on the field much barring a major injury or trade, so it could very well be 3-4 years before he gets a real opportunity.
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Azrael » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:26 pm

I don't really see Rice getting on the field much unless McGahee is hurt. McGahee is top 5 in talent among RBs. He's more talented than Ronnie Brown who Cameron made into a stud with a crappy O-line in Miami. I expect the same in Baltimore. Big year for McGahee this year. Could push top 5 with the way he will be used.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Football Talk