Ray Rice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ray Rice

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ray Rice

Postby onnestabe » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:03 pm

I am really starting to warm up to Rice as I hear some camp news coming out. I know that McGahee is still fairly young, but it's not like he's made of steel. He can get hurt too, and I would think that with his knee injury history, the chances of that injury being serious is pretty high.

I think that if Rice wins the primary backup and 3rd down duties, he is draftable in redraft and keeper leagues, and unless you really have a strong need for a starting RB in your dynasty, you might consider taking him above a guy like Kevin Smith or Matt Forte. Those guys may get the opportunity sooner, but they may not have the talent to take advantage of it. IMO, in a dynasty, if you have a solid group of starters, you should be focused on talent accumulation in your rookie draft, not situation.

But as far as situation goes, I like Baltimore's offense more than Chicago's or Detroit's (both long term and short term). The QB position there has made them look really bad for a really long time, but I think Cameron is going to get that sorted out enough for the offense can be effective this year, and can perhaps take a big step forward next year.

The only thing I am a little worried about that no one is mentioning, is that he carried the ball a lot at Rutgers. I think that is one of the reasons he fell in the NFL draft, and it may have had more of an effect on his draft position than his height had.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:42 pm

Rookie Rice has running start
By Don Markus | Sun reporter
August 6, 2008

Ravens running back Ray Rice has never been to an NFL game. That will change tomorrow night, when the rookie from Rutgers makes his professional debut against the New England Patriots in Foxborough, Mass.

That Rice will be starting in place of Willis McGahee, who remains sidelined with a knee injury, only adds to the excitement for the team's second-round draft pick. But the excitement should not be misinterpreted as being intimidated.

"I'm ready. I'm in great shape," Rice said yesterday after the team's morning workout at McDaniel College in Westminster. "I think I've had a pretty decent camp."

That's an understatement. Rice, the 55th overall selection after coming out as a junior, has been one of the standouts in the team's first training camp under coach John Harbaugh.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/foot ... 0448.story
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby LeBron James » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:12 pm

I think Jerry's brother will do fine in the NFL, don't worry about it.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby perlick29 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:50 am

Can't wait to see my high school teammate in action in the pro's. ;-D
I'm a New York Times guy, living in a PEOPLE magazine world.
perlick29 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

CafecasterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tolleyjenkins » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:38 am

Some young guys to keep an eye on are running back Ray Rice, who might eventually end up pushing Willis McGahee out of town. Yes, he has shown that kind of potential in training camp.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ ... riots.html
tolleyjenkins
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:50 am

He blew his chance last night though. I think he is still a must-have handcuff for Willis.
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk