Jets QB - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to New York Jets

Jets QB

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jets QB

Postby Guru13 » Tue May 13, 2008 4:47 pm

I'm not a Jets fan as you know, but I'd like to know what those of you who follow them closely think about the quarterback situation, nfl.com has Clemens listed as the starter, which I expected, but do y'all think he'll produce? What's the chance they yank him? etc. just looking for some insight from you guys. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jets QB

Postby killiansjmd » Thu May 15, 2008 11:36 am

Well Mangini has said it will be an open competition between Pennington and Clemens this training camp.

They really built up the O-line during the off season to help improve the pass protection and improve the running game. That would obviously help Pennington who has a weak arm but excels when he has a good running game with his play action.

It also helps a young QB like Clemens who really struggled in his first year playing. Clemens is still a major question mark as he didn't show a lot last year to be given the job outright this offseason. He obviously went through some growing pains with limited protection last year and a weak running game. There were lots of reports this off season that they weren't impressed with his arm strength as well.

If it truly is an open competition, my gut says that Pennington will win out. If the team gets off to a slow start again then you will see Clemens.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Jets QB

Postby killiansjmd » Sun May 18, 2008 3:00 am

Chad Pennington, Kellen Clemens start battle for Jets' QB job
BY RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, May 15th 2008, 8:13 PM

Elsa/Getty

Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens (below) will be duking it out for the starting quarterback position.

Weissman for News
Officially, the Jets' quarterback competition between Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens began Monday, when offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer flipped a coin before the first offseason practice.

Pennington called heads - and heads it was, meaning he got to be the "starter" on Day 1. The two QBs will alternate through 15 practices, culminating next month with a minicamp. That they resorted to a coin toss says everything about the quarterback situation - dead even.

Cynics might call it a dead end, considering the way both quarterbacks played last season, but it won't lack intrigue. Commenting yesterday for the first time since the end of the season, Pennington sounded ultraconfident about his chances of regaining his old job.

"I believe in myself and I believe that, when I play quarterback, our team has an excellent chance to win," he said after practice. "That's not making stuff up. It's proven, it's on the record."

Pennington was in his usual good-soldier mode, trying to put a positive spin on a situation he had hoped to avoid. Confirming a Daily News story from March, he admitted there were "discussions at the (scouting) combine" in February about the possibility of a trade. His agent raised the issue and was flatly rejected by Jets management.

"After everything was said and done, this is the best place for me," said Pennington, whose starting record dropped to 32-29 after last season's 1-7 mark.

Clemens (3-5) also struggled, failing to capitalize on the chance of a lifetime, prompting Eric Mangini to declare an open competition. Mangini said the decision "will come down to who manages the game the best and who gives us the best chance to win."

If you're handicapping at home, consider these two "hidden" factors: Pennington's health and new wrinkles in the offense.

Even though it was quickly forgotten by the fans and media, Pennington's high-ankle sprain early last season hampered his throwing mechanics and hurt his velocity, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. He missed only one game, but it was considered a four- to six-week injury.

Pennington never used it as an excuse, but it could help explain some of the floaters that were intercepted. Now he's healthy, emphasizing he intensified his offseason training to become "a more physical quarterback."

As for the offense, Mangini made several references to changes in philosophy. Naturally, he wasn't about the divulge specifics, but if it means more downfield passing, it would give an edge to Clemens. He has a stronger arm than Pennington, who admitted he has to be more consistent on his deep throws.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to New York Jets