Universities - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Universities

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Universities

Postby dream_017 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:07 am

Metroid wrote:Obviously option one. Being an hour away you're just far enough from home so your parents can't drop in on you yet close enough to get a home cooked meal and your laundry done by mom. :-b

You don't really want to go to the same school as all your best friends or a "party school," make some new friends and get a good education. You'll find enough time to party at any school. ;-D

My choice and my reasons ;-D ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby UnderEffect » Thu May 15, 2008 11:41 am

option 1 or 3 ;)
UnderEffect
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 15, 2008 2:42 pm

Canucks_Fantasy wrote: If I really wanted a good paying job, I could just move to Alberta. It's going nuts in terms of jobs. 15$ an hour to work at McDonald's...

The reason wages are high here in Alberta and there are so many job openings is because no one can afford to live here. House prices have more than doubled in the past few years and rents have skyrocketed (if you can even find a rental since a lot of them went condo and were sold because of the prices they could get). Doesn't matter how much McDonald's pays if a decent house costs $450,000. A tiny condo is over $300,000, teeny little starter homes $340,000.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Thu May 15, 2008 5:50 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Canucks_Fantasy wrote: If I really wanted a good paying job, I could just move to Alberta. It's going nuts in terms of jobs. 15$ an hour to work at McDonald's...

The reason wages are high here in Alberta and there are so many job openings is because no one can afford to live here. House prices have more than doubled in the past few years and rents have skyrocketed (if you can even find a rental since a lot of them went condo and were sold because of the prices they could get). Doesn't matter how much McDonald's pays if a decent house costs $450,000. A tiny condo is over $300,000, teeny little starter homes $340,000.

It's a combination of the oil aswell...

Houses in Vancouver are atleast 600K+ now...it's getting ridiculous.
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 15, 2008 6:04 pm

Canucks_Fantasy wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

It's a combination of the oil aswell...

Houses in Vancouver are atleast 600K+ now...it's getting ridiculous.

Yeh, houses close to downtown Calgary can run $700,000 to $1,000,000!!!
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Thu May 15, 2008 6:10 pm

The house two over from mine just sold for 979,000...

The market is getting ridiculous.

Scenery+Olympics+Atmosphere are really rising the prices.

At least you already have some property (I assume), I'm worried I might not be able to live around here at all! :-o
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 15, 2008 6:13 pm

Canucks_Fantasy wrote:The house two over from mine just sold for 979,000...

The market is getting ridiculous.

Scenery+Olympics+Atmosphere are really rising the prices.

At least you already have some property (I assume), I'm worried I might not be able to live around here at all! :-o

I left Calgary 7 years ago when prices were low to move to small town Alberta - I sure couldn't afford to move back now (not that I'd want too)!
stomperrob

Postby sportsaddict » Thu May 15, 2008 9:33 pm

For the Canadians:

Anything you guys can tell me about Canadian universities? Are they basically the same as in the United States or are there any disadvantages/advantages to them? Just wondering since a few Canadian schools came up when I was looking at a list of possible colleges (McGill and University of Toronto in particular).
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Thu May 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Well, they're the same as American Universities but there is maple syrup everywhere.

They're pretty much exactly the same, but sports are not as big of a deal.
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 15, 2008 10:50 pm

sportsaddict wrote:For the Canadians:

Anything you guys can tell me about Canadian universities? Are they basically the same as in the United States or are there any disadvantages/advantages to them? Just wondering since a few Canadian schools came up when I was looking at a list of possible colleges (McGill and University of Toronto in particular).

I'm not sure what they're like now, but when I went they were a heck of a lot cheaper than U.S. universities. They're prob still somewhat cheaper since most get a fair bit of gov't funding, but ones like McGill would prob cost more than most. Quality is similar, lots of U.S. prof's here. MacLeans magazine puts out an annual ranking of Canadian universities http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2 ... -rankings/ - not sure how reliable it is as I know some universities have refused to participate. Some universities are a lot better in certain faculties.
Football is really, really weak, lol!
stomperrob

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk