Universities - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Universities

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Universities

Postby houstonherdfan » Thu May 15, 2008 11:00 pm

Many here will probably disagree with me. Explanation at the bottom of my reasoning.

I would choose option 2. From the discriptions you gave the most well rounded situation is #2.

College is not just to have fun and not just your future. Both are important. Choises 1 and 3 really gives you the choise of one or the other. If it is a good school as you say not a huge difference from the excellent one. The one thing you did not specify is what is your planned major. Many times the courses of study are hugely different as far as how good they are. For example: the College I went to is mostly mediocure as far as the courses of study. However if you wanted to be a teacher, Journalist, or a safety professional they were very good. anything else was average or below. In addition now they have a very top knoch CSI type program there now.

Just remember 2 things about college.

1. The friends you make there can many times last you a lifetime both good and bad. And can sometimes help you make or break your career especially later in life. In additon you could do the same for them.

2. The college you go to either good or bad is what you make of it. you can have fun at the high end schools or the low end schools. You can also get a good education at either. The education you get is what you put into it. The fun you have is also what you put into it.

The college you went to as you progress from a newly graduate to experienced professional is much less important. you learn the book knowledge in school and you learn how everything actually works in your first position. Most times there is significant differences. The theorys and other understanding of where your profession came from is important but there are many differences in what you learn in school and practice in the real world.

Go with your gut. Pick the school you think is best for you based on you life experience so far. Study hard and learn all you can (For me in some cases I learned more from research and studying than I did from the instructor). Take classes from professors that spent time in the world outside of being a college professor (these people will teach you more than you ever dreamed and will make you more ready for the world after college if you choose to listen to them). and most of all DO NOT SPEND ALL YOUR TIME IN A BOOK. Balance the time between study and having some fun.

whatever you do do not live at home. Live in the Dorms at least your first year. Afte that make the best choise for you.

All this advise is coming from a person who is 45. I also did not complete college til I was 34 and saw both the good and bad of college. I didn't get much of the college experience due to my age and having to support myself while going to school. I am probalby one of very few people in my age group to be able to say I walked out of college not owing a dime in loans (the second time around). I worked to support myself and pay for college. I could not get any government assistance because I went to college right out of high school and didn't balance the college experience and the party experience (I finished my first year of college with a 0.9 averave and was told not to come back). I defaulted on 3000.00 worth of loans and could not get any assistance, so it was do it myself or not do it at all (I since have paid off those defaulted loans). I also finished the 2nd chance with a 3.4 in my BS and a 3.85 with my MS. I got both types of experiences but at different times. If I could have balanced the 2 the first time, I prolly would have been better off.

11 years out of college I can proudly say I am in a position were I am respected by my bosses, paid well (about 20% above average for the industry I work in), and enjoy my job.

The last of which is the most important thing. Remember you will spend around 50 years doing what you studied in college. Make sure it is something that will make you happy. If you do not you WILL be miserable for your whole complete adult life. I gauruntee it.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby houstonherdfan » Thu May 15, 2008 11:04 pm

I miised the fact that choise #2 had not residence halls. Just don't live at home if you choose #2
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Thu May 15, 2008 11:35 pm

Well it does, but I probably wouldn't live there...

It's literally 15 minutes from my house.

Thanks for all of the insight, it's appreciated!
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 15, 2008 11:38 pm

That's some sound advice right there, houstonherdfan. ;-D

One thing I'll disagree with what you said is that it's not uncommon for people within 5 years or more, removed from graduating with their BA/BS/BBA, to change careers. Some people do it for a variety of reasons, but the most common is that either the opportunities for advancement are limited to some extent or the pay isn't as lucrative as going into another career. So, it's not like your life is doomed when one day you wake out of bed a couple of years later and came to the realization that you're not doing what you want to do after all.

As for the question, I'd go with the school that's the best fit for you. Not the one with just the best academic experience, the best party scene, the best facilities, the best location, or whatever X factor you want to throw in, find the best fit that you think gives you the best overall experience across the board. It's likely a top-end school like say an Ivy League school or some other institution of relative prestige can provide the most complete experience, but it's not just a feeling-out process, you really have to do your homework on deciding a school and just keep plugging away at what's best for you, not what's considered best for everyone else.

Lastly, I think that high school and college are really special times in your life. I wouldn't say they're the best times of your life, but it's worthwhile to make the most of it on all levels...because 4 years go by in a snap and you'll be in the working world where the worries can mount and you'll have a ton of headaches. Success is more subjective in the real world than it is in academia, but as long as you're happy with your life, no one can stop you from that. On a philosophical level, I think no matter what you do in life, as long as you have a goal that symbolizes a journey on so many levels of human dimension AND you're moving towards it, then I really don't see how you can't be any happier...but I say that as an entrepreneur's perspective, so take it with a grain of salt. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Thu May 15, 2008 11:55 pm

Thanks for that TAD.

So many things to take into consideration...I know that in the end it all comes down to me.

I really appreciate your opinions everyone! ;-D
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat May 17, 2008 11:26 am

Probably option one, but I could make an argument for 2 as well.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 011472 » Sat May 17, 2008 1:42 pm

I like option 1. Option 2 is out for me because I don't like the idea of living at home while in college. I feel like being out there on your own is an important part of the experience. Also, while your high school friends are surely fantastic, having to start over, reach out and make new friends is an important growth part of the college experience IMO.

Option 1's location- an hour away from home is perfect for reasons stated earlier. Too far for surprise visits but close enough for an occasional laundry and home-cooked meal.

Option 1 seems like a much more competitive school than option 3. Although you may earn a higher GPA at option 3, it seems like employers value school reputation above GPA in many cases. I understand your concerns about asians in a way (please understand, there's no racism here) simply because it can be hard to break into that social group, but if option 1 is huge, than there's got to be some variety.

There will be parties everywhere. You don't need to go to the biggest party school. You'll find the booze and the weed, trust me.

Good luck and enjoy the next few years. If I have one piece of advice, it's this- meet a lot of girls. The biggest change I saw upon graduating was that I was no longer surrounded by girls who wanted to party with me. Be safe and meet a lot of girls.
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat May 17, 2008 2:08 pm

011472 wrote:I understand your concerns about asians in a way (please understand, there's no racism here) simply because it can be hard to break into that social group, but if option 1 is huge, than there's got to be some variety.

joelamosobadiah wrote:I will say that as a broad generalization, Asians can be a difficult demographic to get acquainted with due to the fact they usually have a large culture gap, but I have had a couple decent Asian friends as well. Also, even if they were 90% Asians if you are outgoing and open to new friends you will still make some really good friends and find people to hang out with. Also, haven't heard of too many emo Asians, so you would be covered there. :-D

Jeez, what's with all the social awkwardness about connecting with Asians? :-b

I'm half-Japanese myself and my personal take on it is that it's more or less, society that makes the cultural gap more pronounced than it really is. The rule of thumb is that Asians born in America, Canada, or Europe, usually adopt the social and cultural tendencies more than their immigrant parents/grandparents' sociocultural beliefs. I also think Asians are more likely to have cultural clashes within their own families because of it based off what I observed. African Americans and Latinos seem to favor preservation of their ethnic culture whereas Asians have differing opinions about it and there's a greater pressure of having to balance out the culture of the motherland than there is with preserving the culture of their newly adopted land...simply because, it's very important in the Asian perspective to fit in, but there's a lot of give-and-take in trying to hold up time honored family traditions too. It doesn't help things when Asians are treated in the media as more enigmatic than other ethnic groups either, on top of the stereotypes. In addition, I think Asians are more introverted and seemingly aloof simply because they don't want to sound too boastful or seem high-maintenance; I tend to be the same way too, I notice.

011472 wrote:Good luck and enjoy the next few years. If I have one piece of advice, it's this- meet a lot of girls. The biggest change I saw upon graduating was that I was no longer surrounded by girls who wanted to party with me. Be safe and meet a lot of girls.

It goes to show you that you're hanging out with the wrong people post-college. :-b

You're right, it's easier to meet girls in college than in the "real" world though.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:39 am

I chose to go with option one. The overall challenge of residence has me jittery. :-D

Thanks for the help guys. ;-D
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:45 am

Canucks_Fantasy wrote:I chose to go with option one. The overall challenge of residence has me jittery. :-D

Thanks for the help guys. ;-D

Going to UBC?
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk