Return to Football Talk

Ronnie and Ricky to share?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ronnie and Ricky to share?

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:19 pm

Brown's new drill? Mental blocks
By Kevin Clark | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
August 4, 2008

DAVIE - It has been nearly 10 months, and still Ronnie Brown has these moments.

The Dolphins running back will move on his surgically repaired right knee — once again powerful, but still fragile — and the pain from last October runs into his mind. Battling back from a torn ACL, even a slight cut brings sharp memories.

"It just comes in, on certain cuts it comes in," Brown said.

Through months of intense rehabilitation, he has regained nearly all the physical gifts he had prior to the season-ending injury. What is left is the emotional challenge that can only be conquered by running without remembering.

"I can tell myself a million times, 'Run to the left, run to the right, don't think about my leg,' but until you actually go out there, repetition is just the best way to handle it," Brown said.

In his first weeks at full strength, he found himself replaying the movements that bother him during camp, waiting for it to feel right in his mind. He calls what he does "gathering," when he works to make sure that on the next cut, he can move without hesitation.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/foot ... 0165.story
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:39 pm

stomperrob wrote:
August 4, 2008

The Dolphins running back will move on his surgically repaired right knee — once again powerful, but still fragile — and the pain from last October runs into his mind. Battling back from a torn ACL, even a slight cut brings sharp memories.

Through months of intense rehabilitation, he has regained nearly all the physical gifts he had prior to the season-ending injury. What is left is the emotional challenge that can only be conquered by running without remembering.

"I can tell myself a million times, 'Run to the left, run to the right, don't think about my leg,' but until you actually go out there, repetition is just the best way to handle it," Brown said.

In his first weeks at full strength, he found himself replaying the movements that bother him during camp, waiting for it to feel right in his mind. He calls what he does "gathering," when he works to make sure that on the next cut, he can move without hesitation.

con't...

When did football players get so mentally weak? Geez Ronnie, just run the darn ball and make the cuts. Going over things like that only serve to magnify them in one's mind. Run Forrest Run. Break you emotional bonds.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:42 am

moochman wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
August 4, 2008

con't...

When did football players get so mentally weak? Geez Ronnie, just run the darn ball and make the cuts. Going over things like that only serve to magnify them in one's mind. Run Forrest Run. Break you emotional bonds.

Mooch, you do realize that that's a lot more difficult than it sounds, right? In fact, I think there's actually a neuronal response to that type of thing where the brain senses that the knee shouldn't be doing that, and therefore the brain is less "willing" to let the knee make that cut until it "feels confident" in the knee again (I could be wrong on this, but I think I remember learning this at some point during school)...
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:25 am

Yes I realize that there are some mental hurdles to get past. But I also realize that repetitive expression of fear can lead to an inability to get past those hurdles. Ronnie saying how much he thinks about it makes me long for the days when football players weren't supposed to think.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mikus » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:19 am

moochman wrote:Yes I realize that there are some mental hurdles to get past. But I also realize that repetitive expression of fear can lead to an inability to get past those hurdles. Ronnie saying how much he thinks about it makes me long for the days when football players weren't supposed to think.

But I think he will get over it pretty quickly. I am not a football player, but had a knee injury and surgery and returned to playing (ultimate frisbee) a few weeks after surgery. I thought and worried about the knee for a while, but less and less now that the summer has worn on. I think he needs to get his confidence back in it, once he does that he will not think too much about it again.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:14 pm

Brown ready for game-day test of torn ACL
By BEN VOLIN
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, August 06, 2008

DAVIE — Two months ago, when the Dolphins' gathered for their first practice of the spring, running back Ronnie Brown took a big step.

He planted his right foot firmly in the turf and gave his knee a twist.

The gesture symbolized the progress Brown had made since he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee Oct. 21.

Nine months after having surgery to repair the ligament, he has a chance to return to game action Saturday night when Tampa Bay visits Dolphin Stadium.

Coach Tony Sparano has not said whether Brown will play, but he says he is ready to go.

"It took a lot of work to get back," Brown said Wednesday after completing his 11th day of full-contact practices without missing a snap. "It was a long process. There were some tough days. But you just have to keep that positive attitude and approach your rehab like a game."

Brown is running, planting and cutting without a knee brace and bouncing up quickly after contact. He bounced back from surgery sooner than some expected.

"The thing you hear about the ACL is a year and a half to come back," running back Ricky Williams said. "But since the first day of workouts, Ronnie has looked incredible."

con't...

rest of article: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/c ... _0807.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Previous

Return to Football Talk