Denver RB's - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Denver RB's

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Denver RB's

Postby treat24 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:59 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Michael Pittman is currently the Broncos' second-string tailback behind Selvin Young, according to the Denver Post.
Andre Hall, Ryan Torain, and undrafted rookie Anthony Alridge round out the backfield, presumably in that order, though depth charts at this time of year mean little on a Mike Shanahan team.

That may be the biggest understatement, ever. As a person who owns Selvin Young on his dynasty team, I'm all for him getting the bulk of the carries. Still, something in the pit of my stomach tells me not to get too attached.

I traded him for what ended up being Malcolm Kelly during my rookie draft (end of april, beginning of may), at the time, I assumed Henry would be cut and Selvin would be the guy. My assumption was correct and it has happened, and I'm still ok with my trade. I don't like the headaches...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby SLAMLLC » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:40 am

Maybe this should be a new topic starter, but, Where does that put Young as a seasonal RB prospect? Looks like Young is in position to get 20 carries a game. Pittman is #2 on the depth chart at this point.

We go from "avoid Denver backfield at all costs"... to maybe take a shot on Selvin?

It is certainly interesting. It is also nice to know Denver has been giving Selvin the majority of reps through the camps and after seeing him perform this year they then come to the decision to cut Henry this early. They must be seeing something they like. Henry wasn't going to cost them much and yet they still cut him loose.

Do you see Young being a solid RB2? or maybe better? Worse? Is is status quo? Steer clear or is the water not as muddy and maybe clear enough to take a chance?
SLAMLLC Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TheDiplomats » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:43 am

I think you have to look at Selvin Young as a RB3 at this point in time. However, if he does end up getting all the carries he could easily turn into a RB1 or 2. That is a very big IF with Shanahan so I wouldn't take Selvin Young unless he fell to the 5th round in redraft leagues. If you are the gambling type, I could see taking him in the late 3rd or early 4th..but I would definitely wait til the end of the summer before bumping him up there myself.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Humpback » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:58 pm

SLAMLLC wrote:Maybe this should be a new topic starter, but, Where does that put Young as a seasonal RB prospect? Looks like Young is in position to get 20 carries a game. Pittman is #2 on the depth chart at this point.

We go from "avoid Denver backfield at all costs"... to maybe take a shot on Selvin?

It is certainly interesting. It is also nice to know Denver has been giving Selvin the majority of reps through the camps and after seeing him perform this year they then come to the decision to cut Henry this early. They must be seeing something they like. Henry wasn't going to cost them much and yet they still cut him loose.

Do you see Young being a solid RB2? or maybe better? Worse? Is is status quo? Steer clear or is the water not as muddy and maybe clear enough to take a chance?

No different than any other year IMO. First Shanny says he loves him last year, then he says he obviously can't be a 20+ touch RB, now he says he can be.

He's clearly in the lead to get the starting job, but one little injury, bad game or even fumble and he could be back at the end of the line. I'd consider him in the 6-7 round range, but someone will most likely grab him earlier. They always do.
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby SLAMLLC » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:53 pm

Young is a big question mark, you are right. He does have the benefit of there not being a definitive 20 plus carry guy on the roster for week 1 other than himself. He should have opportunity to prove himself for the first 4 weeks anyway.

I agree that Shanahan really confuses the situation with his comments about how Young is not more than a 10-15 carry guy (last year). He is too small to be a three down back.

Now he says, He is going to get every chance to prove himself. We would be crazy to take out a guy who was getting over 5 ypc.

I guess Selvin really showed him something when he showed up for OTA's. Not only that but Selvin has a great work attitude. He is there to prove himself on every snap and every practice.
SLAMLLC Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:55 pm

Denver RBs, buy low and sell high.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:42 pm

Young will be the starter through training camp, then right before the start of the season, Shanahan will persuade Elway to come out of retirement to play running back.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby bmor8811 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:54 am

No one's mentioned the fact Selvin's never been able to play a full season when being the top back of the depth chart without getting injured. So while he's in a MUCH better situation now, his injury proneness and him wearing the Blue and Orange lead me to steer clear of him as anything more than a RB4 later pick-up, possibly.
Thanks Leber for the sig!!
bmor8811
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterCafecaster

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:06 am

I still see Young being more of a complimentary back. Pittman too is close to pissing his career away as well if I am not mistaken. Torain seems to have the size and ability to be a factor by the time the season rolls around...Plus starting Young ensures Torain is over his injuries too. He might just be the guy by mid season.

I wonder how similar Young may be to Tatum Bell, and that's why I still am not entirely convinced he's an every down back. Not to mention, there's still some big names out there on the FA market...
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BlueBandit24 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:05 am

bmor8811 wrote:No one's mentioned the fact Selvin's never been able to play a full season when being the top back of the depth chart without getting injured. So while he's in a MUCH better situation now, his injury proneness and him wearing the Blue and Orange lead me to steer clear of him as anything more than a RB4 later pick-up, possibly.

Agreed. SY has had a littany of injuries dating back to his career at Texas. I would snag him in the middle rounds as a backup runner thanks to his decent amount of upside, but I would not feel comfortable relying on Young from week to week this year.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk