Denver RB's - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Denver RB's

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Denver RB's

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:40 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:I would snag him in the middle rounds as a backup runner thanks to his decent amount of upside, but I would not feel comfortable relying on Young from week to week this year.

I agree- But I think he has a ton of upside. I currently envision drafting him as an RB3, but trading him for a WR1/2 if he gets a good start on the season, depending on how my RBs' byes stack up.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:32 pm

Canucks_Fantasy wrote:Any idea where T.Henry should be drafted now?

I just picked him up in the 8th, I thought it was a steal.

After thinking about it, I'm not so sure. :-?

:-°

That was a great pick...
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Lung » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:06 pm

Impact Analysis: Denver Broncos RB Ryan Torain

June 4, 2008
By Ben Rubin
Edited by Cory J. Bonini and Bryce McRae

The newest Denver Broncos late-round running back selection is Ryan Torain (foot), a fifth-round pick out of Arizona State. Torain played in only six games during his senior season, but Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan said that he thinks Torain has the ability of a first rounder. The Broncos hope Torain can improve a rush offense that was ninth in the NFL last year, averaging 122.3 yards per game.

Torain is expected to compete for a spot in a backfield that is suddenly a lot more competitive, and no running back has his spot guaranteed. The general expectation following halfback Travis Henry's release is that tailback Selvin Young will take his place and be the initial starter, with the backup roles being wide open. Keep in mind, however, that Shanahan could employ a running back-by-committee approach and utilize each back extensively, meaning Torain could get more than a handful of carries per game. That is part of the joy (or frustration for fantasy owners) when it comes to dealing with the Broncos backfield - you simply don't know what to expect. He'll still have to beat out tailback Andre Hall and veteran running back Michael Pittman, but it seems like something he could do if he remains healthy, meaning Torain could now start the season as the top backup.

continued...
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby treat24 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:41 pm

Canucks_Fantasy wrote:

That was a great pick...

just? as in this summer? all summer I have assumed Henry and his contract and his one step away from a 1 year suspension self was gonna be cut. I thought this was assumed. Maybe not, but still, I would not have drafted Henry in the 16th round this summer. After they drafted a RB, I think the cards had been pretty much put on the table that Henry was gonna be cut. I just think that was a horrible call if you drafted him this summer, especially after the draft.

To lungs post... I could see torrain being the top backup or even the goalline back. needless to say, it's all on selvin's shoulders...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Timbathia » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:29 pm

Timbathia wrote:
eagles21 wrote:Translation: Continue to avoid Denver RB's.

Anyone who makes their FFL draft plans with any intention of playing a Denver running back in their starting lineup at any stage during the season is kidding themselves. The 4th RB spot on your roster is way too high for any of these guys.

If you get one on the WW during the season and they end up putting a few points for you as injury or bye week fill-ins, then fantastic, but drafting one with the thought that you can play them regularly is just plain silly.

Henry leaving changes nothing. Denver RBs should not be in your plans.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bagobonez » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:11 pm

With Torain expected to miss 3 months, and with Travis Henry being cut... what are the chances that Selvin Young can put up starter numbers? Who else is even left to share carries with? Michael Pittman? Pittman's been a journeyman his whole career and never can seem to be a feature back anywhere. Will Pittman cut into Young's carries? Sure he will, especially on 3rd down where Pittman can display his receiving abilities. But the point is... is it stupid of everyone to say "AVOID DENVER'S RB'S AT ALL COSTS!" I mean isn't that kind of silly? Why would you avoid ANY player at all costs if you can get him at the right price?

The reason I bring this up is because I'm in a 12 team league that starts RB, RB, WR, WR, RB/WR. So far my roster is...

RB Frank Gore
WR Randy Moss
WR TJ Houshmandzadeh
WR Marques Colston

Now my WR's look studly, but my RB situation is thin at best and the only options remaining are guys like Rudi Johnson, Jonathan Stewart, Fred Taylor, etc.

SO which is the bigger risk? Taking a chance on Rudi to bounce back, taking a chance on Jonathan Stewart splitting time with Deangelo, or taking a chance on Selvin Young actually getting the majority of the snaps in Denver?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:16 pm

There is still Andre Hall, who had 2 good games last year before getting injured (7 carries, 89 yards, 1 TD and 20 carries, 98 yards and 1 TD).

Random guys always seem to pop up in training camp and preseason....Nothing wrong with taking Selvin as your RB2/3, if you were to draft him there I would try to nab one of Rudi/Freddie/Stewart/someone in that group as well. If you have 2 guys from that group (and I consider Selvin as part of that group) then you have a better chance of one of them panning out and being a good RB2. Just IMO.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:35 pm

treat24 wrote:
Canucks_Fantasy wrote:

That was a great pick...

just? as in this summer? all summer I have assumed Henry and his contract and his one step away from a 1 year suspension self was gonna be cut. I thought this was assumed. Maybe not, but still, I would not have drafted Henry in the 16th round this summer. After they drafted a RB, I think the cards had been pretty much put on the table that Henry was gonna be cut. I just think that was a horrible call if you drafted him this summer, especially after the draft.

To lungs post... I could see torrain being the top backup or even the goalline back. needless to say, it's all on selvin's shoulders...

Yeah...that was a terrible terrible pick.

:~(
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:52 pm

Canucks_Fantasy wrote:
treat24 wrote:
Canucks_Fantasy wrote: :-°

That was a great pick...

Yeah...that was a terrible terrible pick.

:~(

Don't worry man, we all make mistakes. I took David Givens in the fifth round of an initial dynasty a couple years back. Guess how that turned out. :-B
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Bravos of Steel » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:31 pm

I took Selvin in the 8th round of our keeper league draft, and then took Torain in the rookie round at the end of the draft. Young's sitting as my 3rd RB, but I'm perplexed as to why people are avoiding him at ALL costs. Sure, there's Andre Hall, and I know Shanahan has a history of botching RB situations, but why is there any reason to think that Young won't be successful this year? Shanny doesn't seem to have the #'s he's had at the position in years past. The injury to Torain I would think bumps him up, and he showed that he can perform. I'm confused with people who think he's a sure fire mediocre selection. I feel he'll be a solid RB2 this year given the situation in Denver.
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk