Just bought an Xbox 360! Woot! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Just bought an Xbox 360! Woot!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Just bought an Xbox 360! Woot!

Postby Guru13 » Mon May 26, 2008 9:50 am

deluxe_247 wrote:hit me up , my tag is xx KEYKEY xx

and to you guys about COD...i think wicked has the highest K/D on my whole friends list, and he doesnt even play very often. i think i remember seeing him up around 2.0. (i havent played for awhile). i do have him beat on winning streak though. back when they started keeping track, i had the third highest streak in the world ( i think its like 135+ games or something) !+) . now everyone and their moms are prob ahead of me :-b

I saw your streak the other day, I was looking around being bored and almost soiled myself, my win loss ratio is awful, but then again, most people are under 1
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Mon May 26, 2008 9:27 pm

)@#%#@%@# UPS was supposed to deliver my Xbox 360 tomorrow, and I have Wednesday off which was going to be GTA4 ALLLLLLLL Day... but nooooooo... now they have re-scheduled the delivery for Thursday, the day AFTER my day off. :~(

Whyyyyyyyy!!! Havne't I waited long enough to play this game! URGH! Sorry, had to rant somewhere.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Mon May 26, 2008 10:44 pm

:-b

It'll be in your hands soon. Then you'll be able to shoot as many hoes as you like. ;-D
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bagobonez » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:39 pm

Well it took all of about ONE WEEK for my xbox 360 to crap out. It's not hte red ring of death though, I keep getting disc read errors on GTA4. Sometimes I can play for about 10 minutes before it freezes, other times I can't even load the game. Fable has worked ok, but I have no other xbox 360 games to test on it. I don't think it's an overheating issue because I let my 360 cool down for 5 hours and then when I tried to play it again I only got about 10 minutes into it before it froze again.

This is very frustrating and was my chief concern about xbox 360's instead of a playstation 3. Lucky for me I bought an independent warranty for it since I bought it from ebay, but that warranty doesn't take effect for 60 days, and even then I have to go through all the hassle of getting it repaired or replaced, shipping it, and all of that crap. And that'll be about the time the new Madden comes out.

I'm going to take my console and game over to my friend's house tomorrow and try my disc in his console and see if it gives him trouble, then try his copy of GTA4 in my console and see if it gives me trouble. At least then I"ll know if it's the disc or the console.

What a freaking headache. :-t
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:23 am

Well all signs point to my xbox 360 being just fine, apparently it's the disc. Now the disc is nearly flawless, I don't think it's too scratched. I did some digging on forums last night and apparently thousands of people from all over the world are having the same "unreadable disc" error when they play GTA4. All of their other games/movies work just fine, and even though the GTA4 disc is immaculate and completely unscratched, they're getting unreadable disc errors.

Rockstar at first denied there being a problem and told the people it was simply their 360's that needed to be replaced, but apparently after thousands upon thousands of complaints, they have admitted that there is a "possible" problem and are workign on a solution.

Even Playstation 3 owners have experienced this issue, though to a lesser degree. Apparently Rockstar just made the game too demanding and it really taxes the DVD drives. I'm kind of scared to even put it in my xbox 360 now for fear of it somehow damaging my hardware. If I can't go more than 5 minutes without the game freezing up anyway, I might as well just leave it on the shelf until Rockstar comes up with something. Don't want to chance ruining my system.

Anyone else have this problem at all?
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bmor8811 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:55 am

I just stick to Madden and some occassional Halo. Madden!!!! Woot!!!
Thanks Leber for the sig!!
bmor8811
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterCafecaster

Postby cardiac cats » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:30 pm

I've read on the xbox forums about the GTA disc problem as well, but I personally didn't have any issues with the game thankfully. Believe me though, I've seen my fair share of hardships with the 360 seeing as how I'm now on my 5th xbox! :-o ..... so far so good though :-)

Good luck
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:59 pm

I've put about 25 hours into GTA4 without a hiccup, but I do notice that my DVD drive is spinning pretty much the whole time I'm playing, as opposed to other games that spin up when I boot the game up and then stay quiet.

I haven't paid attention after the first week, but I thought GTA4 freezing problems were much more common on the PS3 than the 360, at least that's what Joystiq/PS3Fanboy were reporting.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby bagobonez » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:31 am

Free Bagel wrote:I've put about 25 hours into GTA4 without a hiccup, but I do notice that my DVD drive is spinning pretty much the whole time I'm playing, as opposed to other games that spin up when I boot the game up and then stay quiet.

I haven't paid attention after the first week, but I thought GTA4 freezing problems were much more common on the PS3 than the 360, at least that's what Joystiq/PS3Fanboy were reporting.

Not sure if it's more common on PS3 or not, but it's happening pretty frequently on both consoles, regardless. Rockstar Take-Two says they're working on a patch to resolve the issue, but have no timetable as to when it will be released. The scary thing about the PS3 is that I hear the GTA4 freezing issue is actually breaking some consoles. Haven't heard that so much about the xbox 360's, and in my case I could play other games/movies fine, just not GTA4.

I went and exchanged my copy of GTA4 at Best Buy for a brand new one, and so far it's working fine but I only played for about 40 minutes and then shut it off because I'm scared to overdo it. And in fact I drove slowly everywhere I went so as not to force the game into trying to load up so many images so quickly. Many of the other people in the forums say they went and exchanged theirs for a brand new disc as well but are still having the problem. I also decided to lay my 360 horizontally instead of vertically, since it originally messed up while standing vertical. I have my 360 sitting on some DVD cases to give it a little elevation so that it's breathable on the bottom, and have a 7 inch fan blowing on high speed directly into the bottom of the 360 to give it some fresh, cool air intake, although I don't think the GTA4 freezing issue is an overheating problem, I think it's more of "Microsoft wanted to save money by using the cheapest possible parts" issue.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guru13 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:37 pm

bagobonez wrote:Well all signs point to my xbox 360 being just fine, apparently it's the disc. Now the disc is nearly flawless, I don't think it's too scratched. I did some digging on forums last night and apparently thousands of people from all over the world are having the same "unreadable disc" error when they play GTA4. All of their other games/movies work just fine, and even though the GTA4 disc is immaculate and completely unscratched, they're getting unreadable disc errors.

Rockstar at first denied there being a problem and told the people it was simply their 360's that needed to be replaced, but apparently after thousands upon thousands of complaints, they have admitted that there is a "possible" problem and are workign on a solution.

Even Playstation 3 owners have experienced this issue, though to a lesser degree. Apparently Rockstar just made the game too demanding and it really taxes the DVD drives. I'm kind of scared to even put it in my xbox 360 now for fear of it somehow damaging my hardware. If I can't go more than 5 minutes without the game freezing up anyway, I might as well just leave it on the shelf until Rockstar comes up with something. Don't want to chance ruining my system.

Anyone else have this problem at all?

friend of mine had the same problem, he had to get it replaced, but the store he bought it from just replace it for him, no problem. I haven't had any problems at all though.

edit: I also lay my 360 flat because a buddy of mine said that he had a disc come off of the drive once and get all scratched up, although that seems like it would be really tough to do, I don't want to test it.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games