WR's roles - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

WR's roles

Moderator: Football Moderators

WR's roles

Postby stomperrob » Wed May 21, 2008 3:28 pm

Mike Furrey, Shaun McDonald will have smaller roles in new Lions offense
BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • May 21, 2008

In 2006, Mike Furrey left St. Louis and joined his former coach, Mike Martz, in Detroit. The 6-foot, 205-pound wide receiver led the Lions -- and NFC -- with 98 catches.

In 2007, Shaun McDonald left St. Louis and joined Martz in Detroit. The 5-10, 183-pound wide receiver led the Lions with 79 catches. Furrey finished third with 61.

And now?

It's 2008. Martz has been fired and is in San Francisco. Furrey and McDonald have stayed in Detroit, and new offensive coordinator Jim Colletto has a different approach.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 10400/1049
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: WR's roles

Postby RWLongy4 » Thu May 22, 2008 1:53 am

Thank god for it... Calvin and Roy were awfully expensive distractions. Every weekend I would sit and watch the games seeing McDonald and Furrey getting all the passes 6-8 yards from the line of scrimmage and wonder to myself why we never just air it out to two ridiculous athletes we have on the outside... Hopefully something will change.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby moochman » Fri May 23, 2008 11:34 am

This is a legit concern. Say that somehow, despite our commitment to the run that we find ourselves in 3rd and long frequently. Does proven failure Colletto and unproven Kippy have any clue how to get a pass game to work? Amongst my fears for the upcoming season are that the collective genius of Kippy and Colletto leads us to inspired 5 yd pass routes on 3rd and ten. I don't trust that lazy Roy wouldn't just fall in love with running deep sideline (re: non-contact) routes that will be easily covered in obvious passing situations. Franchise (Calvin) could be asked then to be a possesion style receiver, not exactly what I had hope for when we drafted him. Furrey will continue his decline, running even shorter routes and falling down, and McDonald will have to recover from his surgery. Not exacty a Lions' trademark.

Cripes, my Lions cynacism is already in mid-season form. :-t

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Fri May 23, 2008 1:30 pm

moochman wrote:Amongst my fears for the upcoming season are that the collective genius of Kippy and Colletto leads us to inspired 5 yd pass routes on 3rd and ten.

And that would be different from past years, how?

moochman wrote:Cripes, my Lions cynacism is already in mid-season form. :-t

;-D :-? 8-o
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby moochman » Fri May 23, 2008 10:46 pm

dream_017 wrote:
moochman wrote:Amongst my fears for the upcoming season are that the collective genius of Kippy and Colletto leads us to inspired 5 yd pass routes on 3rd and ten.

And that would be different from past years, how?

moochman wrote:Cripes, my Lions cynacism is already in mid-season form. :-t

;-D :-? 8-o

You have to admit that Martz threw way down field compared to the wet toast offence of Mariucci. I still can see those wonderful 6 yards hook and hold patterns. Where's the vomit icon? :-P

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:09 am

moochman wrote:This is a legit concern. Say that somehow, despite our commitment to the run that we find ourselves in 3rd and long frequently. Does proven failure Colletto and unproven Kippy have any clue how to get a pass game to work? Amongst my fears for the upcoming season are that the collective genius of Kippy and Colletto leads us to inspired 5 yd pass routes on 3rd and ten. I don't trust that lazy Roy wouldn't just fall in love with running deep sideline (re: non-contact) routes that will be easily covered in obvious passing situations. Franchise (Calvin) could be asked then to be a possesion style receiver, not exactly what I had hope for when we drafted him. Furrey will continue his decline, running even shorter routes and falling down, and McDonald will have to recover from his surgery. Not exacty a Lions' trademark.

Cripes, my Lions cynacism is already in mid-season form. :-t

Maybe i'm tired but im still sitting at my computer laughing from that post. :-b ;-D

I don't know what they have in mind for a passing game but it can't be worse than last year. Honestly I thought to myself going into last year that we had a chance to have one of top recieving squads in the league... And either I overestimated each receiver's talent or Mike Martz just failed completely... I'm hoping it's the latter.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LionsTim » Tue May 27, 2008 12:40 pm

Remember three years ago when you were drafting C rog, BFMW, KJ, and Roy, only to find out later that you were a victim of buying into the hype? Along comes Martz, and suddenly there's some value to be had on the Lions. Suddenly we had an offense (with problems, i know), and we manage to get off to a good start. With Martz gone, be prepared to suffer from an anemic offense again. Look what happened to Bulger/Holt after martz left, and keep in mind we don't have a stephen jackson. Not even half a Sjax. Their roles will be "try not to act like TO"
Get your gym shoes on!
LionsTim
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moochman » Wed May 28, 2008 10:54 am

RWLongy4 wrote:I don't know what they have in mind for a passing game but it can't be worse than last year. Honestly I thought to myself going into last year that we had a chance to have one of top recieving squads in the league... And either I overestimated each receiver's talent or Mike Martz just failed completely... I'm hoping it's the latter.

I don't know what you mean. The Lions passing game was vastly improved with Martz. Roy did well, though not as good as he should have. I lay that at his feet not Martz's. Martz gets the ball to who wants it, and Roy wouldn't commit to crossing routes that would have led to him having Holt like numbers, IMO. Cal was a rookie and struggled. McDonald and Furrey had careers years. How was the passing game not improved? Remember, too, this is with a QB who cannot thorw bread and butter fade routes in the redzone and turned the ball over alot. Still, Kitna had career years passing.

What am I missing?
Are...you......Jimbo Colletto? 8-o :-b

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RWLongy4 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:53 am

moochman wrote:
RWLongy4 wrote:I don't know what they have in mind for a passing game but it can't be worse than last year. Honestly I thought to myself going into last year that we had a chance to have one of top recieving squads in the league... And either I overestimated each receiver's talent or Mike Martz just failed completely... I'm hoping it's the latter.

I don't know what you mean. The Lions passing game was vastly improved with Martz. Roy did well, though not as good as he should have. I lay that at his feet not Martz's. Martz gets the ball to who wants it, and Roy wouldn't commit to crossing routes that would have led to him having Holt like numbers, IMO. Cal was a rookie and struggled. McDonald and Furrey had careers years. How was the passing game not improved? Remember, too, this is with a QB who cannot thorw bread and butter fade routes in the redzone and turned the ball over alot. Still, Kitna had career years passing.

What am I missing?
Are...you......Jimbo Colletto? 8-o :-b

For throwing as much as he did and having the talent that at least I thought he had in the recieving core I thought martz did a miserable job with the passing game. Sure Kitna had career numbers... Colt Brennan broke all kinds of records because Hawaii throws every down.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Detroit Lions