Terry Glenn... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Terry Glenn...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Terry Glenn...

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun May 25, 2008 7:42 am

aaawall91 wrote:Its hard to see any guys panning out this year. Didn't the article cite how there was like basically no passes that went to guys outside of Owens, Crayton, Witten (and Glenn when he came back), I can't imagine they do something different this year.

Exactly. That's why they are having a hard time showing they are worth anything. However, the Cowboys have sacrificed depth at other positions to keep some of these guys for a year and a couple of year for some. They kept Isaiah Stanbach (a sixh I think round pick last year) all season long even though he never stepped foot on the field (maybe twice all season now that I think about it) and who by his own admission and the coaches admission is not a good route runner at all. They said that he didn't even know how to set up as a WR at the line of scrimmage when he came in because he hadn't played it since he was in high school. Now in the OTA's, they say his route running is looking great and he is one of the fastest guys out on the field. I think I more meant that some of these lower level WR's get some plays drawn up for them specifically so they can have a chance to shine every now and then and show that they can step up when we need WR's next season or the season after.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheRawDAWG » Sun May 25, 2008 3:20 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
aaawall91 wrote:Its hard to see any guys panning out this year. Didn't the article cite how there was like basically no passes that went to guys outside of Owens, Crayton, Witten (and Glenn when he came back), I can't imagine they do something different this year.

Exactly. That's why they are having a hard time showing they are worth anything. However, the Cowboys have sacrificed depth at other positions to keep some of these guys for a year and a couple of year for some. They kept Isaiah Stanbach (a sixh I think round pick last year) all season long even though he never stepped foot on the field (maybe twice all season now that I think about it) and who by his own admission and the coaches admission is not a good route runner at all. They said that he didn't even know how to set up as a WR at the line of scrimmage when he came in because he hadn't played it since he was in high school. Now in the OTA's, they say his route running is looking great and he is one of the fastest guys out on the field. I think I more meant that some of these lower level WR's get some plays drawn up for them specifically so they can have a chance to shine every now and then and show that they can step up when we need WR's next season or the season after.

Stanback was a 4th round pick and was already injured when the Cowboys drafted him. That must mean they were REALLY high on him and his athletic abilities.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Felix the Cat » Sun May 25, 2008 10:00 pm

That's how the draft should work - instead of looking for a player who can come in and contribute Right Now, look for one who may not be the best right now but can be better 3 or 4 years down the line. At the end of the day, you're much more likely to be successful with the latter rather than the former.

Look at Atlanta. They drafted Matt Ryan and gave him starter money, essentially hinging their hopes on him hopefully being good. Wouldn't a better route have been to select a QB later on in the draft who can be groomed to be a more effective starter when he's ready? Chris Redman can be effective, DJ Shockley can be effective, Joey Harrington somehow still gets starting gigs so he must be doing something right. None of them are going to be spectacular - but there's nothing saying that Ryan will be either. In drafting a QB that high and giving him starter money, they tie themselves to one guy rather than having the freedom to go with whichever of their QBs is doing the best in training camp and the preseason. They should have drafted someone like John David Booty or Colt Brennan - someone who can sit on the roster and have intensive development with the QB coaching staff, while for now not being under pressure to start.

I've always thought I should be a NFL GM... since I'd do a better job than at least half of them. (Well, my pet ferret would do a better job than Matt Millen... :-b )
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon May 26, 2008 12:00 am

TheRawDAWG wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:

Stanback was a 4th round pick and was already injured when the Cowboys drafted him. That must mean they were REALLY high on him and his athletic abilities.

Thanks for the clarification. I think that he was re-injured though later on that made him miss more time than thought.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 29, 2008 9:50 am

Hmm - doesn't sound like the Cowboys have a lot of faith on Glenn making it throuh the season:

Posted on Thu, May. 29, 2008
Dallas Cowboys want WR Glenn to sign an injury settlement
By CLARENCE E. HILL, JR.chill@star-telegram.com

IRVING -- Last week, wide receiver Terry Glenn revealed that the Cowboys were keeping him out of the team's off-season workouts.

Now we know why.

According to Glenn, the team has asked him to sign a $500,000 injury settlement -- relieving them of any further obligation if he is sidelined for the season due to his surgically repaired right knee.

If Glenn was injured without the waiver, the team would be on the hook for his entire 2008 salary of $1.74 million

So far, Glenn has declined to sign the waiver and has not been allowed to participate in the "organized team activity" workouts the past two weeks.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/669549.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:58 am

Man, I can understand why the Cowboys want him to sign that injury settlement, but what will they do if he doesn't sign? Cut him? I think that would be dumb, considering he's the only proven WR on that team besides TO. Not allowing him to participate in OTA's unless he signs that settlement just seems like unnecessary hard-balling to me...
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Thu May 29, 2008 10:05 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Man, I can understand why the Cowboys want him to sign that injury settlement, but what will they do if he doesn't sign? Cut him? I think that would be dumb, considering he's the only proven WR on that team besides TO. Not allowing him to participate in OTA's unless he signs that settlement just seems like unnecessary hard-balling to me...

That's the nature of the business side of sports, though. There's no reason for a team to pay a guy to play when they have zero confidence that he'll survive the season.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu May 29, 2008 2:27 pm

That article is interesting because what I have read off of the dallascowboys website has a completely different tone to it. Not about their confidence in him. Everybody knows he might not make it through the season, but this is the first I have heard about the settlement or the fact that the team isn't allowing him to participate. Jerry Jones has said that it was his choice not to attend the OTA's. :-?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby stomperrob » Sat May 31, 2008 12:47 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote: Jerry Jones has said that it was his choice not to attend the OTA's. :-?

White man speak with forked tongue! ;-) :-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:13 am

Now it appears that Glenn wants to be released if the cowboys keep asking him to sign the waiver. This is an interesting battle between the Cowboys and Glenn. Cowboys oughta just give in at this point; I'm not sure they have the WR they need to win if Gleen leaves...
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk