Texting and driving is now illegal in MN! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Texting and driving is now illegal in MN!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Texting and driving is now illegal in MN!

Postby treat24 » Sat May 31, 2008 9:53 am

about time, passed May 9th, signed Thursday... :-)

I might be calling in anyone I see texting while driving now... cuz I'm an a$$.

I'm happy, i'd almost rather have drunk drivers than texting drivers... :-° that's an exaggeration... but like a comedian said, at least drunk drivers are watching the road... "gotta get home, gotta get home, gotta get home, is that a cop?, gotta get home, gotta get home, gotta get home" :-b ... texters are a ridiculous driving hazard.

before you go saying i'm downplaying drunk driving, i had a friend killed by a drunk driver as some of you know, i'm very very against driving even after a couple beers...

I'm just equating how much i HATE texting and driving
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: Texting and driving is now illigal in MN!

Postby gtabaplayr » Sat May 31, 2008 10:16 am

treat24 wrote:about time, passed May 9th, signed Thursday... :-)

I might be calling in anyone I see texting while driving now... cuz I'm an a$$.

I'm happy, i'd almost rather have drunk drivers than texting drivers... :-° that's an exaggeration... but like a comedian said, at least drunk drivers are watching the road... "gotta get home, gotta get home, gotta get home, is that a cop?, gotta get home, gotta get home, gotta get home" :-b ... texters are a ridiculous driving hazard.

before you go saying i'm downplaying drunk driving, i had a friend killed by a drunk driver as some of you know, i'm very very against driving even after a couple beers...

I'm just equating how much i HATE texting and driving

How are they going to enforce this? Any how would they determine if you were actually texting or just looking at your phone? I'm totallly against texting while driving if you are moving in a vehicle, but I don't really have a problem if you are sitting in traffic or at a stop light. I usually start a text and then finish it at my next stop. I sit in a lot of traffic a day probably 1-2 hours worth.
gtabaplayr
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby treat24 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:26 am

gtabaplayr wrote:How are they going to enforce this? Any how would they determine if you were actually texting or just looking at your phone? I'm totallly against texting while driving if you are moving in a vehicle, but I don't really have a problem if you are sitting in traffic or at a stop light. I usually start a text and then finish it at my next stop. I sit in a lot of traffic a day probably 1-2 hours worth.

Same way they do with not wearing your seatbelt. They will only pull over they see texting, and if someone refutes it police can pull phone records. People don't fight that stuff much. % wise. The no seatbelt law in MN... there is very little way to prove that a person didn't have their seatbelt on, but almost no one fights it. I guess in another state, maybe this stuff wouldn't fly.

I'm actually ok with texting at stop lights as long as it doesn't keep you sitting at the light when you should be going, etc...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat May 31, 2008 10:48 am

It should be illegal.

From experience I can tell you it is hard to text and drive. I now only do it when stopped.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby knapplc » Sat May 31, 2008 10:53 am

What is amazing is that they would need to make a law about this in the first place. It's like having a law against sticking your hand in a fire. Who needs to be told not to do that?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Sat May 31, 2008 1:35 pm

knapplc wrote:What is amazing is that they would need to make a law about this in the first place. It's like having a law against sticking your hand in a fire. Who needs to be told not to do that?

I agree. Seems like common sense. Next they'll need to introduce a law like "While driving, you must watch the road". Some people...
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby RiffRaff » Sat May 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Texting and driving is worse than driving drunk.

I asked to get out of a friends car in the middle of town when he refused to quit texting. He had just gone through a red light and nearly ran someone over and refused to believe me.(he didn't have a clue) I no longer even bother getting into his car.

Drunk drivers normally drive at night when there is less traffic. Driving and texting happens 24-7 with heavy traffic. :-o

I'm not trying to down playing drunk driving. I believe texting and driving is simply more dangerous do to the numbers and the fact that texters that drive think they are better at it then they really are. :-t
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby scottaa1 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:05 pm

knapplc wrote:What is amazing is that they would need to make a law about this in the first place. It's like having a law against sticking your hand in a fire. Who needs to be told not to do that?

This reminded me of the smoking in the car with kids thread. It was exactly what I thought when I read the initial post. Yet another law that went into effect to try to compensate for people's lack of common sense.

I"d prefer to see people not using cell phones or devices in general while driving. They need to be paying attention to what is going on around them.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby aaawall91 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:29 pm

Perfect analogy ;-D

...For how I live my life. I do think texting while driving is wrong, but I do it anyways, as safely as possible. In texting I look at the phone for as little as possible (less than a second) and then type as much as I can before having to look again...similar to playing with fire...I love to see how close I can get to fire, or how long I can put things in fire (one of my nipples were completely black after last weekend). So with both, I don't do either for an extended period of time...but in small increments there should be no harm done if your smart, about being dumb. The irony.

So this is like the seat belt law, so purely secondary, I assume.

But who is going to be dumb enough to be texting while a cop is approaching your vehicle after you were pulled over?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby scottaa1 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:35 pm

aaawall91 wrote: or how long I can put things in fire (one of my nipples were completely black after last weekend).

:-* pyromasochist much? :-b
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Next

Return to General Talk